KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
Want to say hello and very cool site here ..so glad I found you guys!
A little about me .. I have a Raptor 700R riding since I. was 13..I just bought my son 15-year-old son a 2009 KFX450R that is an upgrade from a 400EX
We ride mostly rocky hard packed fast trails. in the hills and mountains of Pennsylvania, Vermont and New hamsphire.
I bought it from a guy who took real good care of it. At least I think he did. The bike looked brand new .
Anyways..Took the quad a nice 70 mile ride up in New Hampshire. Worked flawlesll first day.
2nd day. Midway through ride..the header cracked off! Never seen that ever on any quad or dirt bike before.
Tried to do on trail replair but no luck., It snapped near the port on the head. so needed to get towed back.
On top of that... the hot exhaust gasese melted that radiator fan blades and outer shield.
Needless to say..that sucked. BUt that's riding,.... so far second ride..I'm already in the hole 550 bucks.
Anyways.. get home.. get the quads washed ..as we are drying the quads... the KFX fan starts to run ..but there's no key in the ignition. and the fan will not stop.. I finally had to take the battery and disconnect it to make it stop.

I just got the new parts and my son and I are going ti install them shortly. Before we go any further..
Does anyone have the shop manual I can download anywhere?
Also any clue what the fan went on by itself ..without the motoring being on and key in the ignition?
I really love the quad/... ...but never had a KFX before so any advice would greatly appreciated.
Thanks ina advance !
Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
The service manual was sent...The fan will turn on @ 205 ℉ & turn off @ 190℉ by the water temp sensor through the line side of the key switch / white wire @ the starter solenoid to prevent the head from warping,(Note) Brown wire is the load side of key switch ...color wiring schematic see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
The service manual was sent...The fan will turn on @ 205 ℉ & turn off @ 190℉ by the water temp sensor through the line side of the key switch / white wire @ the starter solenoid to prevent the head from warping,(Note) Brown wire is the load side of key switch ...color wiring schematic see pic
The factory exhaust should be replaced on these. The silencer is very restrictive and the headers are known for blowing out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts