KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a new precharged battery in my 08 kfx450 yesterday and still wont start. I bought a new one thinking the battery was junk because I rarely ride while at college. When I hit the starter button the only sound made is a clicking one. Any suggestions?

Also, they quad runs fine after a pull start by dumping the clutch.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
thats one of two things, a low battery (pre-charged means shit), or a bad ground, charge battery and check ground to the frame

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Slide the hood off.

Then look over to the one side above the relays at the main fuse block.

If you don't know, it's on the front brake side, has a wire that loops over and plugs into the top of it. Check that connection right there. It may have popped loose, or it may have corroded inside.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
You sure it's not that plug in or the inside connectors?
Pull the main fuse out too and inspect the fuse block terminals....

What makes you think it is the main starter relay?
Just because that's where it is clicking from?

If you take that rubber boot off, there are two BIG wires on terminals there. You can check the one for power... which is the battery cable... + to terminal - to frame... this will always have voltage equal to battery voltage.

The other cable is the starter cable. It will only have power if one of the starter control relays is closed and you have the starter button pressed. One starter control relay closes if in neutral. The other closes if the clutch is pulled in.

These two relays have a brown wire going into them.

Try starting in the other "state" and see if there is any difference... between trying to start in neutral... in neutral + clutch pulled... in gear + clutch pulled... and also just in gear to see if it turns over or even clicks when it should not.

What is your battery voltage by the way?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue 15 years later

I have 2 kfxs and I am stumped.

Got a brand new loom , 2 different starter moters and all 4 relays with my other bike
Ive tried 3 different battery's I have tried everything
Checked all grounds cables to frame and starter. All fine.
Changed the stator and coil, watertemp sensor , tried different throttle body and ecu
And still have the same issue,

And it still buzzs and clicks when I hit the start button.

What is the problem ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue 15 years later

I have 2 kfxs and I am stumped.

Got a brand new loom , 2 different starter moters and all 4 relays with my other bike
Ive tried 3 different battery's I have tried everything
Checked all grounds cables to frame and starter. All fine.
Changed the stator and coil, watertemp sensor , tried different throttle body and ecu
And still have the same issue,

And it still buzzs and clicks when I hit the start button.

What is the problem ?
Have you tried jumping the solenoid to manually send voltage across the terminals? I would be curious to see if that would turn it over or just make a buzzing sound.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it still buzzes won't jump the terminal to start like you would think. its starts really easy off the jump pack but you can still hear it buzzing in the background as it fires up but the jump pack over powers the issue and it starts up and idols all day. New piston and fresh top end. Valves in check. Decomp spring in place Could this be an ecu fault or something really stupid I'm overlooking? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it still buzzes won't jump the terminal to start like you would think. its starts really easy off the jump pack but you can still hear it buzzing in the background as it fires up but the jump pack over powers the issue and it starts up and idols all day. New piston and fresh top end. Valves in check. Decomp spring in place Could this be an ecu fault or something really stupid I'm overlooking? Thanks
So let's break this down and really think about it. This system is very simple. You have the starter itself, the wire going from the starter to the solenoid, the wire going from the solenoids to the battery, the main ground wire that goes from the battery, and the battery.

Do you have a volt meter? You could remove each main power and ground wire, and check for resistance. You could also perform a voltage drop and see what you're getting at the solenoid and the starter etc while cranking. I would personally lean towards one of those 2 main power wires or the ground has a poor connection or perhaps corroded inside the insulation somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the imput ,

I've been testing loads of things, but it's not a strong point of mine so kinda guessing.

I have Triple checked all connections

I have a 12.8 on the battery and 12.8 on the solenoid .not sure what other figures I should be looking to get from the grounds ? I haven't tested it while cranking but I will let you know results.
It can't be a bad cable in the loom as its brand new out the box.
New control unit on the handlebars.
And I have tried power leads from my other from my other bike.
Same issue , just clicks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the imput ,

I've been testing loads of things, but it's not a strong point of mine so kinda guessing.

I have Triple checked all connections

I have a 12.8 on the battery and 12.8 on the solenoid .not sure what other figures I should be looking to get from the grounds ? I haven't tested it while cranking but I will let you know results.
It can't be a bad cable in the loom as its brand new out the box.
New control unit on the handlebars.
And I have tried power leads from my other from my other bike.
Same issue , just clicks
What is at the starter for voltage while button is pressed? I would remove the ground wire, and test for resistance from end to end. Or try swapping it with the one from the known good bike. It's not making a good connection one way or another, and the jump box is overcoming the resistance which is why it starts with it attached.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gonna go test your advice out today.

Got to be something really simple , just damm frustrating I haven't figured it out yet.

But I agree it got to be something drawing power and I'm just running out of things to check.
The bikes got so many new components on it doesn't make sense to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts