KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issue with this quad starting. I have about 7 hrs on the quad.
When the quad is cold, it takes a couple trys to get it to start. That is with the choke/ fast idle adjustment pulled. Once the quad is warm (5 mins or so) I can turn it off and then try and start it again and it will not fire up. I have the choke off and I'm also trying the ( on/off method) with the key switch to prime the fuel pump. It seems like the intake valves might be too tight?? It will backfire thru the exhaust every once in a while. Now, if I go out riding for a while and stall the quad it will fire right up. However, if I let set for 5 min's or so, it takes forever to get it started. I talked to Yokley at loretta's this weekend and he said to adjust the throttle positioning sensor????

BTW, air filter is clean and it has plenty of gas..

Here are the mods I have on the quad: Uncorked exhaust, removed air box lid. (uncorked exhaust/removed lid) PC III Map.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm having issue with this quad starting. I have about 7 hrs on the quad.
When the quad is cold, it takes a couple trys to get it to start. That is with the choke/ fast idle adjustment pulled. Once the quad is warm (5 mins or so) I can turn it off and then try and start it again and it will not fire up. I have the choke off and I'm also trying the ( on/off method) with the key switch to prime the fuel pump. It seems like the intake valves might be too tight?? It will backfire thru the exhaust every once in a while. Now, if I go out riding for a while and stall the quad it will fire right up. However, if I let set for 5 min's or so, it takes forever to get it started. I talked to Yokley at loretta's this weekend and he said to adjust the throttle positioning sensor????

BTW, air filter is clean and it has plenty of gas..

Here are the mods I have on the quad: Uncorked exhaust, removed air box lid. (uncorked exhaust/removed lid) PC III Map.[/b]

First, put the exhaust back together, I lost power with the stock exhaust uncorked, I also found that the pc III map #002 is way to rich, thats the map for airlid removed, baffle removed, again that map is way to rich, very hard to start,
I now have the power comander off line, disconnected. - airbox lid removed, the stock exhaust, cork in!! runs very good, and starts great, next I will try map#001 on my PCIII airbox lid off, stock exhaust cork in! and see how it runs.
for all you that do not have a PCIII yet, there has been a dino test with a stock machine, airbox lid removed only, and this setup made a small increase in power, but when they removed the exhaust cork, they lost the power that they gained!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, put the exhaust back together, I lost power with the stock exhaust uncorked, I also found that the pc III map #002 is way to rich, thats the map for airlid removed, baffle removed, again that map is way to rich, very hard to start,
I now have the power comander off line, disconnected. - airbox lid removed, the stock exhaust, cork in!! runs very good, and starts great, next I will try map#001 on my PCIII airbox lid off, stock exhaust cork in! and see how it runs.
for all you that do not have a PCIII yet, there has been a dino test with a stock machine, airbox lid removed only, and this setup made a small increase in power, but when they removed the exhaust cork, they lost the power that they gained![/b]
I took the #2 map off and I'm putting the #1 map on. I have corked the exhaust and left the lid off. I'm charging the battery and will try it out this weekend. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is all stock, tonight I took the lid off, and it made it sound kinda cool, a bit louder/deeper, but seemed to LOSE some bottom end power, and really I didnt feel any increase at all.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
What altitude are you guys running at? I am at sea level and pulled the baffle and airbox lid off with the PCIII map (baffle out / lid off). The quad RAN GREAT! It had significantly more power, I mean significantly more power. All 4 people that tested it agreed as well. I think your altitude has a lot to do with the map working correctly or not.

PDR

·
Registered
43 Posts
What altitude are you guys running at? I am at sea level and pulled the baffle and airbox lid off with the PCIII map (baffle out / lid off). The quad RAN GREAT! It had significantly more power, I mean significantly more power. All 4 people that tested it agreed as well. I think your altitude has a lot to do with the map working correctly or not.

PDR[/b]
I`m at 2900`-3200` found that 002map was to rich? with airlid off, EXbaffel out, also the bike was hard to start with this set up.
removed PCIII from circut, ran with just airlid removed and the bike was faster or lets say that in this set up the bike runs hardest.
All testing that I have done has been with my two brother inlaws, both motocross racers, (trx450,pipe,airlid off,)(raptor 700,pipe,PCIII,airlid off)
drag racing up hill from a dead stop,(aprox 350 yards)
this weekend I will run the bike with map 001, airlid off, and after that pull the cork and try again, run this same test with PCIII removed from the circut and do the same test again.
To date, my bike ran with the other quads, pretty even steven, just the airlid removed!
with the exhaust baffel out, they would pull me?
with the 002 map, baffel out, airlid removed, got pulled badly?
yes i need to try the other maps, (001stock)(003 procircuit) there could be more power there? if you print all (3) maps and start comparing, 003 looks to be the leanest of all?
If any one has other maps for PCIII please post them,
I`m not in a hurry to buy a pipe, I would like to see fuels dino sheets on the pipes he is collecting, along with airintake mods etc....................................

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cams adjustment may help your starting and sometime back fire problem. It happened to me. I checked them at X km and their we're in the specs but close to not be. Around 2000km the bike had hardtime starting and keeping idle when cold. I then checked and adjusted them properly in the specs and the bike ran and started just fine after this.

It may helps. (I checked them around 2000-2500 km (3500 stated in manual shop))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts