KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The MSXC winter series kicked off last weekend with round 1 in White Plains, KY. Woke up to rain and almost didn't go. Finally quit as we were sitting on the line, 5+ hrs after it started. Needless to say it got messy.

Running vet b, row 6. Made it to the first turn (straight into woods) in a dead tie for second. I had the inside line so took that away. 10 foot in the track swept to the right and then looped back, but a line had been made around that and all the other class where taking it. I considered that the track. So was shocked when leader (holeshot) went right. I took the cut line, got infront of the carnage, and never looked back. Got stuck and had to get off the quad only once. Ended up taking the win with a 12 1/2 minute lead. That also put me 12th out of 88.

The track was classic White Plains: 1 mile twisting field section, bulk tight, and sections of super tight. The field was nice this year as you could actually see as this is generally a duster. The bulk was the standard 54-65 inch stuff. Then the 50 inch and less stuff. At 46 1/2 I rubbed through many places. Also normal at around a 9 mile lap. I completed my 2 laps in 1 hour 45 minutes. The overall leader made his 2 laps in 1 hour 28 minutes. We generally get 3 laps here but the conditions didn't allow it this time.

Top 3 pros: Jody Estes
Ryan Lane
Brycn Neal

There were two other kfx's running. Had a dnf in pro-am and a 4th out of 12 in 21-29c.

Round 2 is this weekend in Red Boiling Springs, TN. Almost have the quad ready to go. Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Congrats on the win!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do very well in mud races. Running a aggressive tire and tend to roll on the throttle leads to finding traction. The first dry race will be the true test of where I stand. Don't look like that's happening this weekend.

mr. bigwheel - Hope you havn't taken my comments towards ironman as rude or put downs. They are not meant to be that. Just feel you are in for a major shock when lining up there. Hoping to be proved wrong.

·
Registered
880 Posts
mr. bigwheel - Hope you havn't taken my comments towards ironman as rude or put downs. They are not meant to be that. Just feel you are in for a major shock when lining up there. Hoping to be proved wrong.
Its OK, I'm getting used to it. My weird set-up and pieced together off ebay bike, gets a lot of comments.

The consensus is that I am in for a MAJOR shock at GNCC. Some people think I am used to a smooth fast course. When I watch helmet cams from Gncc it looks the opposite to me. I am actually more concerned that there won't be enough tight corners to make Roll Control look good. I do agree that I am not used to going 2hrs so I think I may be pretty wore out from pushing that last 30 min that I am not prepared for. I actually think my biggest deficit is my rear shock is still stock. I have followed some pros through stuff that they could go through on the seat and I had to stand up. I know that is using up extra energy and coupled with the longer format, that could get rough.

I still have the option of running the masters class, but in my mind I will still not know where I stand when it is over, unless I struggle just to run with those guys. I don't think it is possible to run as fast in traffic as the guys out front do, so I would come home still not knowing if I could run with them.

Hoping to be proved wrong
How about if I finish top 10 in the am race, instead of admiting you were wrong, you buy me diner at Famous Daves instead?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts