KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there might be an existing thread already that cover this but if someone could give me the run down on this i would appreciate it. I've currently got the fmf powercore 4 slip on and am wanting to get the header to top it off but I can't decide between powerbomb or mega bomb? Whats the difference.
I mostly do wide open riding out here in the deserts of New Mexico but have been starting to dabble in outdoor racing. I currently have the fci with procom ecu. I like the price on the power bomb but wouldn't mind spending the extra dough for the mega bomb if it made that much of a difference. Also, is there another piece i need to buy besides the head pipe? Mid pipe?
All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Uggg.... hate to post this, but....

The Megabomb is going to produce more low end power in the lower RPM and into the Mid. The Powerbomb power will be a little higher up and a little sleeker (out of the way).

Both will be a little improvement over stock.

Now to the reason I didn't want to post any of this. I think for wide open areas and top end riding, the whole FMF system is the wrong exhaust for the job. The FMF is more of an east coast woods breed system.

I think you should sell the slip on and buy a full exhaust of another brand myself. Something of a more open design that will move the power up higher in the RPM range. The FMF is more midrange and falls off higher up. Where the header steps and the way the muffler is designed kind of makes in sign off up top. I like it for woods but think there are better choices for you guys.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I got a megabomb on my kx. I like it. Low end power is great... But on these bikes low end is good from factory.. Cant say for the kfx...im sure its gonna help on low end more than anything

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duster, I was afraid of that! I've heard it all before.. Will probably head the dasa or Dr.D route. It's a shame. The fmf slip on was gifted to me by my boss who's son is sponsored by FMF. I was going to try to keep it on because we do a lot of riding together. I haven't been riding that much lately. Powerbombs are only like $155. Think I'd regret throwing one on just to hit the dunes with once a month?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
DR.D is even more of a low to mid pipe, it is by no means a mid to top end pipe. I get 47.5-48hp out of fmf,fci and db cammed kfx's. DR.D is gona be a full hp lower. If u get a dasa and cut it to 13 inches u will have the best performing pipe for the kfx. With future mods the dasa will not hold it back.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
If you just go ride, no you won't care I don't think.

But yes, the more open pipes with larger headers with more earlier steps and larger muffler cores move the power up in the RPM range for open area riding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll think about it. When im drag racing my buddies yfz450r, he's barely shifting into 5th when I'm starting to rap out. He's got dasa and sprockets. I deffinetely feel the difference in top end hp when I ride his quad. I know if I threw on the same set up I would dust him in top end. I smoke him in bottom end already

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Since u ride in open areas u might want to throw a 15t front or 36t rear. The kfx is internally geared lower than other 450s. As Duster said, throwing a full system on is not gona make a big diff. Ur gona need a intake to take full advantage if u dont have one already.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
keep the fmf but first get an intake then youll smoke the yami

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have had both. dasa and fmf. fmf has more response off idle. the dasa has more top end. the Mega bomb is more low end grunt. 15t front and dasa will do you good. you may want to dial your rpms back to stock on the procom. I switched back to the fmf because of where I ride. its tight from tree line to tree line short bursts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already run the fci with procom ecu. I'm still on the fence whether I should get the power bomb header or just cut the BS and get full dasa. From the way it sounds on here there must be a pretty big difference if I'm running wide open all the time. I'm still curious if I will need a mid pipe or not if I remain fmf??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My KFX has the megabomb with a big gun evo slip on and it's fast out of the hole but I'm looking for another gear so I bought the FCI and a 15t front sprocket. I just got the FCI and sprocket but I'm betting it will be faster top end now.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Little thread revival haha

Make sure you add a fuel controller.

You will be way lean otherwise with the intake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts