KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had an FCI off of their quad and could tell me the measurements. (and maybe later, the box). I think I'm gonna have one 3d printed. Id rather pay 20 bucks and buy a filter rather than spend 200.First, I need the overall length (imagine the fat and is sitting flat on a table, so how tall) and inner and outer diameters of each end. And any information on the bend would be nice too. Id really appreciate it! I will make it slightly different to avoid getting in trouble. If I have to I will just buy one and then return it, but thought I'd check here first and see what you guys think. I will also pass the cad drawing on to you guys, so you can have them made too. You can also have them made in just about any color, including transparent and various glow in the dark colors! You can go to 3D printing services in your neighborhood | makexyz.com to find a 3d printer near you. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
dont know but cant wait to see how this turns out

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ouch! Buy one and return it... Harsh. Just start from scratch.. Thats my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I will help you on this if I can spare the time to.

I can also give a list of really good changes that would be great to apply so that it is different indeed.

What are the material options for it to be made of though???

I think you have my email? Just email me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
3D printing is relatively new and from my experience expensive! I would think it would be much cheaper to just buy a FCI? 3D printing is for rapid prototyping and not so much for production products. I'm just not sure how well it would hold up under riding conditions?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
189 shipped for a boxless fci with foam filter... I dont think thats too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
402 Posts
Coping one.... Law suit waiting to happen...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just need the rough measurements. I will be designing it differently. And 20 bucks may have been a bit of an understatement, but i don't see it costing more than 40 tops. It gets expensive when you have a complex design or need someone else to create the design. If they want to sue me, let them. I'm not selling the product or design. They won't be able to get much out of me anyways! And both abs and pla plastic will be plenty strong. You can always make it a bit thicker. It will still be way cheaper than buying an fci. They are wayy overpriced for a hunk of plastic and a k an n filter with their name on it. And who wouldn't want a mean green glow in the dark or clear intake? I think that would be sweet! And like Duster said, we can improve on it. This is America. We don't have to let fci monopolize the intake market.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Have to say a clear tube would be cool... I feel like they could be cheaper too but there ain't nothing cheap on a quad anyways so can't beat them up too much. But you are correct, as long as you don't sell them or exactly duplicate it...... They don't have a lawsuit. And ill be the first one to agree with you that 40 beats 200 any day of the week. And that's without an airbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts