KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to wire a kill switch into the factory roll-over sensor. This would in theory shut down the quad invhe case of a roll-over, or if I fall off. I do not wanna loose the tip over feature that shuts the bike off when upside down. Also, a big part of why I want to do it this way is now that I have an oil cooler, the oil path to my camshafts is longer. I do not want to starve my cams of oil at startup. Toby at Moto-Xperts told me that when a bike has sat for a while that he highly recomends turning the bike over for about 20 seconds before letting it fire up and run. This would prime the oil system without spinning fast enough to tear up your journals. My kawi will not just turn over for any period of time with out firing. It starts within 1 - 2 seconds every time. Wiring the killswitch into the roll-over sensor would shut down the fuel to keep it from starting, so I could crank it. This would also shut it down when the cord is pulled out. I don't know what wires to tap into, or if there is already a kit to do this. I just here that most people tie into the key switch. Does this seem like a better option?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Why not just make your coil wire removeable or on a switch, whatever. its right there easy to get to and would prevent it from firing? Just a thought.

Ive thought about this as well and i wish we were able to just pull the plug boot off. I made oil primers for my cars, but ofc its not possible here. I havent been able to come up with a good idea on how to do this, but wiring to the roll over sensor seems pretty complicated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What about pushing the thumb throttle while pressing the starter to circulate the oil. The Kawasaki ECUs and throttle position sensor won't let it start while pushing the thumb throttle.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Just run off the blue wire from the coil. That way you can turn it over for a few seconds with your tether pulled and it won't get spark. That's how I had mine ran for 3 years b/c the Pro Armor kill switch install kit was shorted and I just said forget it. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about pushing the thumb throttle while pressing the starter to circulate the oil. The Kawasaki ECUs and throttle position sensor won't let it start while pushing the thumb throttle.
I have the Kawi Adjustable ECU. It will fire at full throttle. And now that I think of it, last time I rolled it, it did not shut down. I am going to have to unziptie my roll over sensor and turn it over while idling to see if it will shut down. Or it my not be worth what I am trying to do. but that will have to wait til my head comes back from Moto-Xperts. I kinda thought it would be done faster than this.

I don't want to tie into the coil because your fuel will not shut off and flood the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I have the Kawi Adjustable ECU. It will fire at full throttle. And now that I think of it, last time I rolled it, it did not shut down. I am going to have to unziptie my roll over sensor and turn it over while idling to see if it will shut down. Or it my not be worth what I am trying to do. but that will have to wait til my head comes back from Moto-Xperts. I kinda thought it would be done faster than this.

I don't want to tie into the coil because your fuel will not shut off and flood the cylinder.
If I remember correctly I had to cycle my key off when the roll sensor was flipped, meaning that it wouldn't turn over anyways. Idk...been a long time since I had it.

Also, you should see the stacks of heads that Toby does in the winters. Everyone and their brother sends them in during winter rebuilds...hundreds of them. I'm sure you'll get it back soon.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my sensor fall out of location back when I still had my OEM ECU. Quad would turn over fine. I am now unsure now with the Adj ECU.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my sensor fall out of location back when I still had my OEM ECU. Quad would turn over fine. I am now unsure now with the Adj ECU.
Quad still turns over, Adj ECU does shut down with roll over tripped, won't start with more than 1/4 throttle. I may just do what shaggyman said and just peg the trottle for a few seconds b4 letting it start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts