KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my buddies trx450r 05 quad it had a stock motor with a slip on (HMF) pipe and i asked to give it a quick spin and i seemed like it had a lot more power than my 09 kfx450r that i also have a slip on and is a stock motor. the trx450 had a lot more power that the kfx i thought and was wondering if someone has a opinion on the trx and the kfx performences and notices the difference in power.

thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
wow. I have ridden Alot of hondas and the only one that was ever faster was one of Dustins old TRX now it was fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this trx had so much more power than my kfx we basicly had same identicle mods but his was making you hold on for life where my kfx doesnt do that when u cranking of a start man . i cant get over how much more power it had.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you have the stock intake on your bike then every other bike will feel faster. Get a FCI and you will change your mind quick with the power you feel between the two.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The intake tube is very restrictive. It is a major design flaw in the bike. If you get a the intake you can get an extra 8 hp out of the intake alone. A pipe and filter change does nothing for this bike at all. Got to do the entire intake.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
what would make having a different filter and box make for a hudge power difference
FCI 5~8HP or more gains with a PC III or V and a dynotune...!!!

FCI 10~15hp gains with a port job and a higher compression piston...!!!

And change your gearing to 14/36 for good starts and more top-end...!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree with redneck052 the kfx stock intake flat out sucks ass.. it is so restrictive its unreal put it this way i have a 08 kfx 450r that was completely stock when i raced my buddies 06 z 400 and he was right on my ass when we raced and since i bought mine brand new i was pissed at how my 450 performed it should have smoked the 400. so the first mod i did was intake and when we raced again the 400 was out of sight thats how much air the factory intake is restricting you do that to yours and you will be very satisfied on how well and hard it pulls.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have ridden several Honda 450s and can say I have never been on a "fast" one. The first time I rode a stock one, I had to get off and make sure I wasn't on a 300EX.

My friend has a built Motoxperts 05 Honda 450R (ported, +1 valves, cam, FCR, 12.5:1 piston, made 51 HP on their dyno) and before that, a built Baldwin Honda, and both of those were no faster than my KFX with the big 3. No idea why, but, it is what it is.

Also, as others have said, an intake/fuel controller makes a HUGE difference on the KFX.

·
Registered
795 Posts
yeah man I ride alot with hondas and one dude had complete fmf exhaust, hot cam , and had it jetted perfectly. my kfx with slip on, FCI, and power commander would smoke it. Now I have complete exhaust,fci, hetrick cams, procom, dynteck coil, and most say that he cant even stay in the same ball park, I also out run 700xx with hmf pipe and fuel controller;buts its much closer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
He may have the HRC kit on his. I remember when I had my trx it woke it up big time. Stock 04 trx is slow but once the cam was in it was a blast. I could pull wheelies in 4th gear(no joke). But that being said, the kfx with the big 3 like everyone is mentioning does wake the kawi up big time. I would say its just the honda's comfortable ergos thats making it feel faster.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I have ridden several Honda 450s and can say I have never been on a "fast" one. The first time I rode a stock one, I had to get off and make sure I wasn't on a 300EX.

My friend has a built Motoxperts 05 Honda 450R (ported, +1 valves, cam, FCR, 12.5:1 piston, made 51 HP on their dyno) and before that, a built Baldwin Honda, and both of those were no faster than my KFX with the big 3. No idea why, but, it is what it is.

Also, as others have said, an intake/fuel controller makes a HUGE difference on the KFX.
Your feel for a fast quad must be blurred. Lol. Toby builds crazy strong TRX's that I guarantee have around a 10 hp advantage on your KFX w/the big 3. My Kawi w/the big 3, stage 3 cams, and p/p by Toby was putting down around 55 on his dyno, and I can say in that trim will run heads up in a straight line if not pull away slightly from most XC prepped TRX's with the proper gearing. Your big 3 will not do the same...trust me, I know. I ran the big 3 for a full season and while I was able to win a championship on that set-up my time I lost in the fields by being down on power was gained in the woods. Don't let you owning the KFX make you think that the TRX's aren't fast. They have a much smoother power delivery in 04-05 and the 06+ straight up rip.

Another thing to remember is the cost it takes to make these quads fast. The KFX is a MUCH more expensive quad to get to race ready. An intake, exhaust, and programmer alone will run you upwards of $1000 or slightly under. On a Honda, a UNI filter w/o lid, jet kit, and a full pipe will run you $650ish. Porting and polishing will cost the same. However, the big difference comes into play not in a straight line, but in the handling of the quad. I was able to get the Kawi to work for me w/$3000 in suspension; however, going to Nick at Jet Suspension can get you a good handling TRX for under $2000.

I loved racing the Kawi, but even I can admit its flaws, which is why I'll be going back to Honda for my next quad. The Kawi is just too expensive to build and maintain at a competitive level and impossible to troubleshoot minute issues.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to have a kawi, and now I have a honda.. bigg improvement but my kawi was quick for cams intake pipe and power comander but my trx beats I all day

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nkeen, your absolutey rite, my kawi only had one ever electrical issue but it was a nightmare. My trx has like 3 wires lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your feel for a fast quad must be blurred. Lol. Toby builds crazy strong TRX's that I guarantee have around a 10 hp advantage on your KFX w/the big 3. My Kawi w/the big 3, stage 3 cams, and p/p by Toby was putting down around 55 on his dyno, and I can say in that trim will run heads up in a straight line if not pull away slightly from most XC prepped TRX's with the proper gearing. Your big 3 will not do the same...trust me, I know. I ran the big 3 for a full season and while I was able to win a championship on that set-up my time I lost in the fields by being down on power was gained in the woods. Don't let you owning the KFX make you think that the TRX's aren't fast. They have a much smoother power delivery in 04-05 and the 06+ straight up rip.
I do have an issue with fast things being slow. I recently bought a 300 awhp 1G DSM and I think it's a turd. I have been driving a 430 - 588 rwhp Z28 for the last 5 years so that changes my perspective considerably.

As far as the Motoxperts Honda, it is a very nice build and they do amazing work for the money, great guys too. I am just as baffled as anyone else about my big 3 KFX450 with maybe 43hp running peg to peg with this Honda across a field. It simply shouldn't happen but it does. A local Raptor 700 with the big 3 walks both of us. I know that quad makes 50/50 hp/tq. The only thing that I can think of is that his quad weighs significantly more than mine and he is about 20 lbs heavier. Or, they dyno'd the wrong quad and thought it was his, which I highly doubt. His Baldwin engine was slow as well. They claimed it was a 55hp engine and I wouldn't have given it more than maybe 40 at most. It had issues running away from my 416EX. This isn't down to rider either. As we have switched with several people and it's almost always a draw.

I also have 30+ hours on a new TRX450R with the HRC kit and everyone that has ridden it is left wondering why it has no power. I have no explanation as to why Honda 450's regardless of build make no power around here.

I know what you mean about racing a KFX, things get expensive, quick. The Honda's and Suzi's are the best platforms for racing imo, especially the Honda's on a budget.

I know it sounds like BS and I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there to see it. But I was there, I will try to get a new video up whenever things dry up a bit or see if I can hunt down an older vid of his Baldwin setup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran against a 450r with the HRC kit in a quarter mile race, actual drag race track. Mine was stock besides the pro circuit exhaust at the time. His best time of the night was a 15.5?? and mine best of the night was a 16.294 at 72.16. Now I know this kind of racing depends a ton on driver, but I later ran that same 450r at a motocross track (breezewood proving grounds) and my kfx had the big three installed at that time.

I know I felt the kfx had a lot more explosive power band than the 450r, and I felt more than confident I could pass it in a race, it just didnt have the response my kfx did. however it had full suspension work and it was a ton more forgiving on the jumps. I am in no way bashing the 450r, but in that situation, I was glad to get back on the kfx. But I can see why people say the 450r is just cheaper to own in general or racing, I am finding out the kfx is kind of expensive to maintain and can be a pain figuring out the electronics, but I also came from a warrior, which is very cheap to own/maitain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ive had 2 kfx's both had slip-on exhaust as the only mod and i could pull the front wheels on both in 5th gear all day long. i thought both were considerably quick for being basically stock. My friend has an 05 trx with full hmf exhaust, stage 2 hc, kn filter, and perfect jetting. i think it could literelly be left in the dust by a raptor 250. it is a dog compared to both my kfx's. just my .02

·
Registered
8 Posts
same here my buddy has a 08 trx450r and i have a kfx450r both have power core 4 pipes thats it. When we race i get him out of the gate but his bike passes me about third gear like im setting still and i cant catch him. Every one says its i need a 15 tooth front sprocket what do yall think. Iordered one today well see?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts