KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I am new to this forum, so I apologise if this is not in the correct place.

I have a kfx450 2008 since around 2 months and have ridden it like 6 times for about an hour. Today 20 mins in to the ride the red light came on. I stopped turned off the engine and I could see bit of smoke coming from the bottom a bit of coolant dripping on the ground and I could here it literally boiling.
My friend that I was riding towed me back to home where I checked what could have happened.
The radiator was half full with coolant and there was nothing in the expansion tank.
I decided to add up to the maximum lvl in the radiator with water and put just a bit in the expansion tank. I start it up ride it again few minutes in the ride the light comes on again. It did not seem to loose more liquid.

I am sorry for the long explanation, but did any of you had similar problem by any chance and do you have any idea what might be causing that.

I will take it to my local dealer but wanted to check with you as well.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Welcome to the Forum....!!!

make sure air flows through the radiator...mud, dirt & bugs can clog the air flow...!!

Does the fan work, should come on at 190~205 ℉ degrees

If NO...Check the 10 amp fan fuse (orange fuse box & fan relay to be operating...see pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the fast reply.

The radiator is clean its not clogged, but I will pressure water it just in case.

Another thing I’ve spotted is that the fan isn’t coming on after this happened at all, no matter how hot it gets. Usually it needs just a bit if riding to come on, so I will definitely check the fuse, thanks for that. But is the not working fan enough for it to overheat so bad?

Any idea where the coolant might have come from as I saw no cracks in the or rips in any of the water hoses.

Thanks again, will update the thread when I have progress.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Thanks very much for the fast reply.

The radiator is clean its not clogged, but I will pressure water it just in case.

Another thing I’ve spotted is that the fan isn’t coming on after this happened at all, no matter how hot it gets. Usually it needs just a bit if riding to come on, so I will definitely check the fuse, thanks for that. But is the not working fan enough for it to overheat so bad?

Any idea where the coolant might have come from as I saw no cracks in the or rips in any of the water hoses.

Thanks again, will update the thread when I have progress.
Yes...!!!! If the fan not working, will overheat...!!!

Don't use high pressure sprayer on the radiator, will damage the cooling fins, just normal garden hose pressure...!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again,

Some updates on my issue.

I have cleaned the quad and the radiator very well, like advised checked the fan fuse and it turned out that it was bad. There was a spare one in the fuse box (very clever by kawasaki) and I replaced it. Started up the bike rode hard for 10-15 minutes and the fan is just not turning on. The other interesting thing is that it does not overheat at least the lamp is not coming on. I spotted that at first when i turn the key to on that light comes up for a second and it goes off. I don’t believe it did that before. Could it be indicating that there is another issue?

I will try to test the fan only today to see if it is working at all.

Thank you for your time in advanced

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Yes test the fan directly by running two wires from the battery to see if it works...If it doesn't check the relay..

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts