KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright about a month or so ago I bought a 09 kfx450r from a craigslist ad. Went to pick it up and the guy ended up selling it to me lot cheaper cause it wasnt running. Claimed he got it out for one last ride and the fuel pump went out. He jumped it off his truck to show that it did run.
I bought it, ordered a new fuel pump almost 400 bucks. Put it on and it still wouldnt run. Figured he may have fried the battery...bought a new one. Still wouldnt run. It would turn over, wouldnt fire. Someone accidentally left my fan on one night and I believe drained my battery but I have been charging it to keep it up.
Took the bike to a dealer, paid 80 dollars to find out I wasted 400 dollars on the fuel pump cause all I needed was a new cdi box. Bought the Pro Com box installed it, it would turn over still but wouldnt fire. The FI light would come on for a few seconds (around 3 to 4) and go off, fan works, fuel pump priming, but no firing.
I read on here if it was a battery issue it would fire up off a roll start....and it did. I roll started it, it ran great until I stopped and went to idle and it died. Had to be roll started every time to get a fire the whole day. Did this about 4 or 5 rides....
NOW NOTHING WORKS. Went out to roll start again and turned the key on and there was no power to the fuel pump, no lights came on, NOTHING. The fan is the only thing running, but since it is it cant be a battery issue right?
WHY WONT THIS BIKE RUN?
What would be signs that the voltage regulator is fried if that happened when the cdi box was fried from the guy jumping it off his truck?
Would I have been able to roll start it so much like I did if the Stator or Regulator was burnt up???
I dont want to take it back to the dealer after they charged me 80 bucks for what the mechanic TOLD ME took him 15 minutes to find out.
Could it still be a battery issue even if the fan is running full power...
ANY AND ALL INFO IS NEEDED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got power back...

alright, checked the 30 fuse just cause I hadnt yet and it was bad...not quite sure why yet til I think on it some more,,,but I replaced it and that got the power back on to the key and fuel pump.....
still wont fire but its back to turning over and Im at square one again... roll starting is the only way to get this thing to run....help

·
Registered
248 Posts
whats your idle screw set at??
turn it all the way out (counter clockwise) then turn it back in 22 clicks, see if it will idle? you can also check over the wiring harness for any shorts/grounds causing it not to run, because i know that was a problem with a lot of peoples kfx's...

is the roll over sensor good?? not knocked off...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Make sure the battery connections are tight and check the other fuse as well.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Ya as stated above idle setting start at 22 clicks also when 1st starting pull the cold start knob which is also the idle knob when pushed in!this is located on the left side of trottle body!also check threw all electrical best thing to do strip off the plastics some spots along the front of the bike wires have been known to rub threw against the frame go over the entire harness front to back along the rear tail light is another known spot to short and also the front handlebars and it's also a good idea to fill all the connectors with dielectric grease!also check to see your roll sensor is fastened!this is located under the hood rite below the ecu!I had a nasty short took me over a month to finally find it!it was the stator/crank sensor wire that goes under the battery box so you may wanna just check that over as well also check the main fuse block for corrosion!grounds as well make sure there tight!good luck!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Oh and just an FYI before spending a crazy amount of money eBay is fine for used parts oem/aftermarket along with lots of forum members on here as well who sell many parts and site sponsors who offer discounts for being a forum member sad to hear you had to blow 400 on a pump!contact dust devil asap for a free downloadable service manual this will be a nice tool to have!

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Curious, how much does a non running KFX 450 go for these days? I had a snowmobile I took out for one last ride before I was going to sell it. The motor blew up five minutes from my truck. That last ride cost me $1500 bucks. Hope you didn't pay more than 2 for it. I'm thinking Part it Out. Buy one that runs good abd already has the big three.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts