KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Ive owned a 2009 KFX450 for about 3 years now. I do a lot of trail riding, but i'm interested in racing. I've got the hang of the KFX down and can ride it to its full potential. But I'd like to go faster into those turns and have a smoother time doing it haha. Instead of buying shocks and a arms, i purchased a torn apart 2008 KFX450 that was built. The guy was in the process of rebuilding it and just never finished. He has many brand new parts that he bought for it and a lot of great aftermarkets. I plan on building a KFX450 to sell and swapping some parts over to my 2009 KFX450. I'll post some pictures of the transformations. Maybe u guys can give some feedback that will help me and hopefully it can help someone else.The Brand new after market parts that he gave me include:
Lonestar axcalibur pro axle// hinson clutch and clutch basket// hot rod crank// seals and gasket kit//stage 3 hot cams// 13.4-1 wiseco high comp piston// houser long travel tie rods// Dasa full exhaust system// all new bearings in the bottom end of engines//and maybe more im forgetting
Used aftermarkets include:
Elka stage 4 front and rear shocks// Houser +2 long travel a arms// houser +2 standard travel a arms// Tusk Gforce axle// RPM racing carrier// Lonestar racing carrier// ASV clutch and brake levers// stage 2 hot cams in great condition// a few high comp pistons// hot rod crank// kickstart kit// rath pro series nerf bars// rath standard nerf bars// Blue ASV lever// JB racing parking delete// Blue CV4 rad hoses// Maiers carbon fiber front hood//and more

Theres a lot of extra parts even after building a KFX. Swing arm// a few engine cases ( with another head, i can build a third engine)// radiator and fan// stock cams and one unknown hot cam// a bunch of random wheel hubs// spindles// sprocket and rotor hubs// sprockets// wiring harnesses, race cut and stock//

I bought the 2008 KFX as a rolling chassis. He gave me 2 engines with it. Both engines have the bottom end freshly rebuilt. The engine im putting in the 2008 KFX has a brand new hot rod crank. The other engine looks like theres some JB weld slapped all over the case. He said it doesnt leak, but im not willing to take that chance now, id rather part that engine out. I thought about building the 2008 all stock. But who wants a stock 450. I'm still trying to decide whether i should put a high comp piston and the stage 2 hot cams in it, or maybe just the stock compression piston. My main concern buying this KFX was the frame, but he actually just replaced the frame, and honestly its in better condition then the frame on my 2009 KFX. I've decided to Build the 2008 KFX with the standard travel houser a arms and the tusk G force axle. I realize i can make more money parting out but i think it will sell much faster with aftermarkets. Its not about making money to me. I plan on putting a lot of time into building the 2008. I want it to look brand new, so i'm gonna get some parts powder coated. I'm gonna read through the manual and make sure i understand the KFX's to a T. I'm a huge fan of the KFX450, so I'll end up buying more to rebuild. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions, comments, or questions. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres a few pictures of the mess right after i purchased the 2008 KFX, pictures of some parts also. You can see theres a tiny bit of corrosion on the hot rod crank. I hit it with a little steel wool and flushed the engine with oil. Engine hasn't ran since 2014 so needed a cleaning anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ready to powder coat!

Here's a picture of some parts, some of which are going to get powder coated. I'm getting The standard houser a arms, engine mounts, clutch cover, stator cover, and a few other things powder coated white for the 2008 KFX. Hoping the white parts will give it an appealing look to the buyer. Im tearing my 2009 KFX right down to the frame and getting the frame powder coated illusion blueberry. My subframe is already powdered shocker yellow and my swing arm is already blue. Im getting my lower houser long travel a arms blue and the upper a arms shocker yellow. I got blue brake line clamps and a blue steel braided streamline brake line. The houser tie rods are brand new with a grey and black color. Im getting a few engine components powdered as well, clutch, head, and stator cover will be done in blue while the smaller engine components and engine mounts will be shocker yellow. i believe i'm gonna remove my pro armor nerfs and use the rath pro series and get them powdered a green color and purchase blue nets. Ill attach a picture of my 09 KFX as it sits now. let me know if u guys have suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dude i bought the 2008 KFX from deleted the starter and put in a kick start. I removed the kick start and got a new wiring harness with the starter wires. Other then installing the starter back in the engine, does any one know if theres gears in the engine case that he might have removed? he gave me the engine already sealed. I dont want to pull the case apart if i dont have to. I'd appreciate a little help here :D ill add photos

Attachments

·
Registered
12,056 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starter/Elkas

I responded to your other thread too. But here is a link that will help with the starter stuff.

Hopefully he included everything that goes in the stator cover and all you have to do is install. If not let me know.

http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/important-information/9303-stator-crank-sensor-flywheel-counterbalance-starter-gears.html

As for the shocks, those are factory elka. Can't get those anymore. What is the eye to eye length on the fronts out of curiosity.?
Thanks a lot Duster! i appreciate the help. That link helps out tremendously. I was hoping i can get some help from other KFX fans, and hopefully this forum can benefit others as well, so thanks for the help. When i bought the 2008 KFX he gave me 2 engines, an extra transmission, and a bunch of spares, so im hoping i can find the gears to get the starter working again on the 2008. I found the ones just inside the cap on the stator cover, ill look for the others. I don't want that to stop someone from wanting to buy it when im done. Is it possible to remove reverse gears in the trans? i'm hoping he did'nt do that either haha. Also, he gave me 2 swing arms with both having aftermarket carriers. He said the one is lonestar and the other is JB racing. I could'nt find a JB racing carrier anywhere, so maybe i misunderstood him. i just replaced the carrier bearings in my swing arm on my 2009, so i took the whole stock carrier from my 2009 and put it in the swing arm for the 2008, because the bearings in both of his carriers were shot. Does anyone know if lonestar carriers require a different bearing size? can i get OEM bearings or do i need to buy lonestar bearings? I just got the carriers removed from the swing arms, tried getting the dust seals out and failed, they're a pain in the nuts. Gonna have to work a little harder at them. Also, doesnt anyone know if the lonestar carrier is a tapered set up? do i need to push the bearings out the sides they are on, or can i shove both bearings out one side. thanks again guys!!

Yea these are Elka stage 4 shocks, set up on houser long travel a arms. The eye to eye looks like its just over 18", I'd say approximately 18.25". Someone asked if id be interested in trading the elka stage 4 shocks for fox floats. What do you think about that trade?! ill add pictures of my elkas and the fox floats. he put a yellow protective vinyl on one of the fox shocks. it actually matches my subframe on my KFX. ill add a picture of my subframe as well. I'm tearing my 2009 KFX down to the frame to get it powder coated illusion blueberry. Im getting the lower houser a arms coated the same blueberry color as the frame, the upper a arms will be shocker yellow, the same color as my sub frame that can be seen in the pics below. I ordered streamline Blue steel braided brake lines with blue a arm brake line clamps. Will add some pictures when i get the parts back from being powdered.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parts

What will be for sale parts wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to finish both KFX builds before i start getting rid of parts. But there will be some as i go, i can keep the forum updated with what parts im gonna get rid of. I believe i decided to sell the stage 3 hot cams. They are brand new, never used and still in the boxes. The packaging on one of the cams ripped open, so i put it in a zip bag with oil to keep it clean and in new condition. Ill add some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Well with shocks it is more about how the shocks are set up interally for you than the brand. The fox could be the wrong extended and compressed length or valved wrong internally. The Elkas are in hand and you can try them out before considering a trade.

Also, it may not have much meaning, but you can order a set of fox any time you want in like 5 minutes. But those particular factory elkas aren't made anymore. So you can't just go buy them if you decided you went the wrong way. They make new 4 and 5 but not those factory ones anymore. You can see the difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tusk axle..

Alright, does anyone have a tusk Gforce axle on their KFX? If so, can someone post a picture of it on the quad. Or if someone has an installation guide.I can not figure out how to use the 3 piece locknut to lock everything in place. Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shocks

Well with shocks it is more about how the shocks are set up interally for you than the brand. The fox could be the wrong extended and compressed length or valved wrong internally. The Elkas are in hand and you can try them out before considering a trade.

Also, it may not have much meaning, but you can order a set of fox any time you want in like 5 minutes. But those particular factory elkas aren't made anymore. So you can't just go buy them if you decided you went the wrong way. They make new 4 and 5 but not those factory ones anymore. You can see the difference.
Good point, ill keep the elkas for now, ill finish the build, ride the elkas and see how i like them. Thanks! I'm still deciding how to build the 2008 KFX that i'm selling. I figured who wants to buy a stock KFX, so using the stage 2 hot cams is probably the way to go rather than stock. I'm still deciding whether i should use the high compression piston or going with stock. There is a brand new hot rod crank in the engine, so its ready for a high comp. My 2009 KFX has KX450 hot cams and a wiseco stock compression piston. I didn't go high comp because i heard of the strain on the crank, and you have to replace it soon after. You've been a big help so far, so wondering what you think of the high comp piston compared to stock compression. How would you build the 2008 KFX. Thanks a bunch for you help. Hopefully the forum can help others.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Do a wiseco 12.4

The JE 12.8 is safe to run with 93 octane usually.

I would have someone do a quick head clean up as well.

Nothing crazy just some work on the short side radius.

A simple head clean up and JE 12.8 will be good for another 3-4hp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Piston comp and horsepower

Do a wiseco 12.4

The JE 12.8 is safe to run with 93 octane usually.

I would have someone do a quick head clean up as well.

Nothing crazy just some work on the short side radius.

A simple head clean up and JE 12.8 will be good for another 3-4hp.
Thanks blue99stroker, I believe that typically once you run over a 13:1 compression piston, you have to run race fuel. Which is a bit annoying if you plan to trail ride it. It's unfortunate because when i bought the 2008 project kfx the guy gave me a brand new wiseco 13.4:1 comp piston still in the box. I don't want to put it on the 2008 KFX because I don't want to steer people away from it because of race fuel. I don't plan on putting it on my 2009 KFX either. I do lots of trail riding with it, and i'm not trying to constantly worry about having race fuel. For the 2008 KFX, even though it has the brand new hot rod crank and can handle plenty of compression, i might do a stock piston, possibly a 12.4 comp piston. My 2009 KFX still has the stock crank, For this build i don't think i'm gonna tear into the engine. I just rebuilt the engine with a wiseco stock compression piston over the summer, i plan to remove the engine from the frame as a whole, getting frame powder coated, and replace engine covers with powder coated covers. When the time comes after i sell the 2008 KFX, i think i'm gonna put the used hot rod crank in my 2009 KFX with a JE 12.8 compression piston, maybe the 12.5. This used hot rod crank is still in great condition, no bearing play at all. When i bought the 2008 KFX he said the head was just cleaned up.
Engine HP
Anyone have any idea what kind of horse power my 2009 KFX is getting now, and what ill get after a few more mods
Right now my 2009 KFX has a-- fuel customs intake w/o box-- Stage 1 KX450f hot cams(same as stage 2 KFX hot cam)--power commander 3-- wiseco stock compression piston-- Barkers full exhaust -- gearing is 15/38-- anyone has any clue what the horsepower is at with these mods?
When it is time to rebuild my 2009 KFX i plan on adding a bit more HP.
-- fuel customs intake w/o box-- Stage 1 KX450f hot cams(same as stage 2 KFX hot cam)--power commander 3-- wiseco 12.4:1 compression piston (maybe JE 12.8)-- Port and polish head--DASA full exhaust -- hot rod standard crank-- gearing will get changed to 15/37 and using 18" tires rather than 20".
Anyone have any idea what the HP of either build will be close to?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tusk axle

Alright, does anyone have a tusk Gforce axle on their KFX? If so, can someone post a picture of it on the quad. Or if someone has an installation guide.I can not figure out how to use the 3 piece locknut to lock everything in place. Thanks in advanced
I assembled the rear on the 2008 KFX. The tusk Gforce axle lock nut was pretty interesting, being that there weren't any threads for an axle nut. On the KFX 450 axle, the sprocket holder is locked in place by a metal ring that sits in the indentation on the axle itself. The sprocket holder cups around the ring and prevents it from sliding outward. The tusk axle nut works in essentially the same way. It uses the same metal ring that sits in an indentation on the tusk axle. The 3 piece axle nut has a threaded portion that you have loosen until it cups the metal ring and the other side is pressed against the rotor hub. loosening the threaded portion on the nut will tighten everything pushing a tight fit between the two metal rings on the axle. I read on a few forums that people have had the axle nut come loose on the tusk axle. To try an prevent this, i put blue loctite on the threaded portion of the nut and on the set screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cleaning parts

I'm taking my time and cleaning every part i put on both quads. I have a tub filled with water and dawn dish soap to degrease larger parts, and a bin with brake/parts cleaner. The 2008 KFX had a kickstart, and the starter was deleted. One wiring harness was race cut, the other he gave me was beat up. So, i bought a wiring harness from someone else parting out their KFX. I cleaned it up with a little simple green, electonic parts cleaner, and a tooth brush. I'm building these KFX450's and putting my name on them, so i want them to be spotless. A little cleaning can come a long way, it takes some time, but when i'm done building ill have a clean KFX to show for it. I cleaned the Elka Stage 4 shocks with PB Blaster, Simple Green, a tooth brush, and sheila shine. A tooth brush is a wonderful tool in the garage. Some pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
2008 KFX 450 powdered parts

Crazed coatings just finished up the parts for the 2008 KFX 450. Had them finish up the 2008 KFX parts first so i can get it back together and start tearing the 2009 KFX 450 down to the frame. The 2009 KFX still has the engine and all electrical installed. I'm using it as a reference for the 2008 KFX. Assembly is much easier when you have a KFX together right next to it. I got all the parts white including +2 Houser a arms, a rath front bumper, clutch cover, stator cover, head cover, engine mounts, and a few other parts. Houser racing parts usually rust through the powder coating within a few months, this white powder coating will hold up for years. It would have been cheaper for me to not powder coat any of the 2008 KFX parts, but if im building a KFX, its gonna look better than average. Crazed coatings has some good prices, so in my opinion spending the money to make it new again is well worth it. I can finish getting the 2008 to a rolling chassis. Also, ill add the photos of the powdered 2008 parts, and picture of my 2009 swing arm and subframe that was powder coated by crazed coatings last year.

Heres a link for Crazed Coatings facebook
https://www.facebook.com/crazedcoatings/

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like a Cool build with lots of awsome parts, I just did a white trx250r and it turned out great

If you resize you pics and post them direct they show up better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a Cool build with lots of awsome parts, I just did a white trx250r and it turned out great

If you resize you pics and post them direct they show up better.
Hope they both turn out well. I'll try it out with some pictures, but i get lazy haha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Houser +2 standard travel a arms

i'm getting the freshly painted Houser +2 standard travel a arms ready to go on the KFX. I'm having a little trouble determining which upper a arm is for the left side and which is for the right. Obviously i just got them powder coated and the stickers aren't there to help me. I believe that the zirk grease fittings on the upper a arms, point downward. I went on Housers website, but they only have a arm installation guides for the trx and yfz. From what i researched, i'm pretty sure that on this style a arm, the zirk fittings point down on the upper a arm and up on the lower a arm. I know that on the long travel Houser a arms, the zirk fittings point upward on both the lower and upper a arms. The zirk fitting must be removed and replaced with a plug (set screw) on only the upper a arms. This is because when the shock is compressed it can turn the upper a arm just enough to sheer the zirk fitting right off. Not sure why they wouldn't keep the zirk pointing downward on the upper a arms, this way you don't have to remove the zirk and replace it with a plug to ride.
I'm going to call Houser Racing tomorrow to make sure i have the a arms on the right side and also I need to know how far the needle bearings are pressed in. I'll post a reply to this once i get some more info.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
KFX450 Houser +2 standard travel a arms

i'm getting the freshly painted Houser +2 standard travel a arms ready to go on the KFX. I'm having a little trouble determining which upper a arm is for the left side and which is for the right. Obviously i just got them powder coated and the stickers aren't there to help me. I believe that the zirk grease fittings on the upper a arms, point downward. I went on Housers website, but they only have a arm installation guides for the trx and yfz. From what i researched, i'm pretty sure that on this style a arm, the zirk fittings point down on the upper a arm and up on the lower a arm. I know that on the long travel Houser a arms, the zirk fittings point upward on both the lower and upper a arms. The zirk fitting must be removed and replaced with a plug on only the upper a arms. This is because when the shock is compressed it can turn the upper a arm just enough to sheer the zirk fitting right off. Not sure why they wouldn't keep the zirk pointing downward on the upper a arms, this way you don't have to remove the zirk and replace it with a plug to ride.
I'm going to call Houser Racing tomorrow to make sure i have the a arms on the right side and also I need to know how far the needle bearings are pressed in. I'll post a reply to this once i get some more info.

I spoke with houser racing and got some answers. The zirks on the Houser +2 standard travel a arms point down on the upper a arms and up on the lowers (most houser upper a arms have zirks pointing up that need plugs while riding). I also questioned the torque specs for their a arms. The lower arms have a bolt on ball joint that has a nylon nut torqued to 80 ftlb and the upper arms have the adjustable bolt on ball joint that has a nylon nut torqued to 140ftlb. The torque specs for the a arms to the frame follow factory torques as well as the ball joints into the spindle knuckles. Of course i had to use housers needle bearings required for their a arms. Houser racing told me to push the needle bearings in (lettering on bearing facing outward on each bearing) just far enough so you can fit the seal in flush with the outer edge of the a arm. After the seals are in, for the upper a arms, you slide in the sleeve, put the thrust washers on each side with the dust caps over them. The lower a arms have the shaft that slides through in one direction with thrust washers on each side and a circlip holding it all together. The shafts that go through the a arm had one end of the shaft wider than the other. I thought it made more sense to have the wider ends pointing out. As always I thoroughly cleaned every part that goes on the KFX. No sense on buying a 90$ bearing kit through houser racing if your using dirty sleeves, washers, and caps that will just grind dirt back into them. I coated the thrust washers with grease also, keeps more dirt out. Photos attached, and adding more photos to next reply for more file space.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts