KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2008 kfx450r from a friend who hadn't ridden it in a while. It wasn't working so I cleaned it all up, cleaned the injectors, swapped batteries, checked timing and everything. However, after all of this it will not start unless I spray starting fluid in the intake. I checked the codes using the self-diagnosis codes and no codes were being thrown. However, after it starts running, it will run for as long as I want it to with no issues whatsoever. Has anyone encountered a situation like this before? I'd like to fix it myself, because the kawasaki dealer near where I live is something special.

It's a 2008 kfx450r
Mods include: powercommander 3 ecu, and an aftermarket air intake. Other than that it's pretty close to stock.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the kfx, and quads in general.

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Welcome to the Forum....!!!

You might want to check the TPS/ throttle positioning sensor...see picture below
Sensor adapter 57001-1538 is best to use... Kawasaki 57001-1538 - SENSOR ADAPTER | eBay

Also check the Power commander 3/PC3 sensor wire connection into the TPS yellow wire...Make sure it's solder together don't use the splice/tap it cuts into the wire then it breaks...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum....!!!

You might want to check the TPS/ throttle positioning sensor...see picture below
Sensor adapter 57001-1538 is best to use... Kawasaki 57001-1538 - SENSOR ADAPTER | eBay

Also check the Power commander 3/PC3 sensor wire connection into the TPS yellow wire...Make sure it's solder together don't use the splice/tap it cuts into the wire then it breaks...
So am I just checking to ensure that the wires are still intact and not broken off correct? Sorry if I'm a little slow on this im pretty new to fuel injected motors.

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
So am I just checking to ensure that the wires are still intact and not broken off correct? Sorry if I'm a little slow on this im pretty new to fuel injected motors.
Yea! make sure the PC III grey wire is soldered to the TPS yellow wire...The wire splice (in picture) will cut through the wire over time & can cause your symptoms...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea! make sure the PC III grey wire is soldered to the TPS yellow wire...The wire splice (in picture) will cut through the wire over time & can cause your symptoms...
Thanks for the help!

I finally soldered the wires together and it seems to be working a bit better now, however it still isn't starting normally. It seems to be in a much better position where it will attempt to start and will sputter a little bit, but it will not start. It seems to me that it's not getting enough gas. Now i have literally no knowledge of programmers or the pc3 unit either. All i know is temperature and elevation are important. I am in south texas at about 700 ft elevation, and it is frequently over or at 100F. Is there like a pc3 guide for dummies or something?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help!

I finally soldered the wires together and it seems to be working a bit better now, however it still isn't starting normally. It seems to be in a much better position where it will attempt to start and will sputter a little bit, but it will not start. It seems to me that it's not getting enough gas. Now i have literally no knowledge of programmers or the pc3 unit either. All i know is temperature and elevation are important. I am in south texas at about 700 ft elevation, and it is frequently over or at 100F. Is there like a pc3 guide for dummies or something?
Anyone have any advice for this? I'm sitting here damn near pulling my hair out. I applied to appropriate fuel map to the PC3, and it still won't star without fluid. What's worse, is it will idle for about 5 minutes before cutting off with no warning. Additionally, the idle is fairly rough with the engine rpm bouncing between 1400 and 2500 on idle. the power commander software also shows the throttle moving from 0% to as high as 4% without me even touching it. Is that normal? Does this sound like a power commander issue, or something physically wrong with the machine? Again, any help is appreciated, and if it's too complicated, i'll gladly be on my merry way to get reamed by the local kawie guy

·
Super Moderator
9,764 Posts
Anyone have any advice for this? I'm sitting here damn near pulling my hair out. I applied to appropriate fuel map to the PC3, and it still won't star without fluid. What's worse, is it will idle for about 5 minutes before cutting off with no warning. Additionally, the idle is fairly rough with the engine rpm bouncing between 1400 and 2500 on idle. the power commander software also shows the throttle moving from 0% to as high as 4% without me even touching it. Is that normal? Does this sound like a power commander issue, or something physically wrong with the machine? Again, any help is appreciated, and if it's too complicated, i'll gladly be on my merry way to get reamed by the local kawie guy
Make sure there's slack in your throttle cable to prevent it from bouncing, that might be your problem..

if not..?

Did you check if your TPS is in range...see picture

Check your valve clearance...
Valve Clearance: between cam and valve lifter
Standard:
Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm (0.0067 ∼ 0.0087 in.)
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.0039 ∼ 0.0059 in.)
If the valve clearance is not within the specified range,
adjust it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts