KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the day at the dunes today. It was incredibly crowded, which actually made for a great time, and plenty of drag racing. My brother had his 2014 Yfz, and a buddy with his 2007 Ltr. The Yfz has stock motor, with Vortex ecu, ais delete, Hmf slip on, K&n filter with airbox lid removed. Stock gearing, with 20" v paddles. The Ltr has stock motor, with Yoshimura slip on, cherry bomb, k&n filter with airbox lid removed. Stock gearing and 20" straight paddles (not sure what kind). My kfx has Big gun Evo r full exhaust, fci, Lexx fuel controller, and Dynatek ignition coil. I have a 15t front sprocket with the stock 38t rear, on 20" v paddles. I have been very interested to find out how they all would compare and finally got some real world testing done. I was able to beat both of them probably 4 out of 5 times, with a bad launch being my only losses. They were however very close most of the time within a bike length or 2. After a while we ended up swapping machines. First I swapped with my buddy to the Ltr. With me on the Ltr i was able to beat them both as well. Did a few runs like that with similar results. Then went to the Yfz. Same story with me on the Yfz I was ahead of the pack as well, with them being close behind. So after many runs I found that I believe I'm just a tad more skilled at drag racing and the bikes were all very close. However the interesting part for me was to feel the difference in the power curves. The kfx has imo the strongest low and especially mid range power. If I want to win I have to short shift the Kfx. With the stock gearing 14 /36 on the Ltr with 20" paddles, had less low end power but picked up in the mid range and pulled excellent at higher rpm. The Yfz felt like it had the best all around power curve. Strong from low to high rpm. I'd say for the average person the Yfz is probably the easiest of the 3 to get good results because of the good power at all rpm ranges. I would love to get them all dynoed, but I am pretty confident I know how they would stack up. I believe the Kfx would have the most peak power, topping in the mid range somewhere, but with a less impressive power curve. The Ltr I imagine would be really close on peak power, but peaking much higher in rpm. I'm thinking the Yfz might actually show a tad less peak power, but with the best overall power curve, putting more power to the ground longer in the rpm range than the Kfx, and Ltr. I'm very happy I was able to get all these runs in today and really learned a lot more about all these machines than I had previously known. Its going to get real interesting if they decide to upgrade to Fci's. I might have to upgrade cams to stay out front if they do get better flowing intakes. Aside from the Ltr and Yfz that I know exactly what mods they are running, I had races with all sorts of other folks as well. I was able to beat every basically stock looking quad out there except for a Trx450. I raced a few Trx's but one of them was quite fast. Wish I knew what mods were done to it, that thing pulled hard out of the gate, jumping on everyone, it was close but once he got that jump we couldn't catch him. We were able to get the better against another Ltr, a few other Trx's a bunch of Yfz's of all years, piped Banshees, piped 250r ATC, Polaris Outlaw 525, and even a Renegade, and Outlaw 1000's. I'm pretty sure the majority of the other machines I had wins over were stock with the exception of aftermarket exhausts. I was talking with the owner of the Outlaw 525 and he also had a bone stock Trx450 which he said was not as fast as the Outlaw. He said he used to own a couple Kfx's but they were stock other than the exhausts. He seemed surprised that I was able to beat him a few times in a row, and mentioned that my Kfx was really quick, and ran great. I like doing, and reading comparisons like this, so I couldn't help but to post this info up here. I must say that I did like the extra width of the Yfz450r, and Ltr and the seemingly more useable power curves that they offer. The Kfx isn't going anywhere, as with time I can make it wider, and I'm hoping a set of stage 2 or stage 3 cams will give me a more useable, wider power curve. If anyone has any questions just let me know.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts