KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son has an opportunity to race Vegas to Reno as part of a team on a well set up TRX450. He's raced a KFX450 for years, but never set foot on a TRX. No chance to practice on a TRX, the race is in two weeks and the race quad is 500 miles away.

Could an expert level KFX racer throw a leg over a TRX450 and be competitive? Are they similar in handling? Or are they different enough that the learning curve is just too steep?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I think he could do it. I mean everything is different but if he could get 10 or 15 mins on it would even help cause steering power and control are different on everything

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
Is the TRX steering height & the suspension set up for the KFX rider weight & adjusted to his/her style...???

That will be the only thing to over come in the transition to the TRX before racing...!!!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
If it is set up well and he is a similar weight to the other riders he will be fine in that type of racing. He will be able to pace and get the feel of it ok.

Just tell him they feel a little sloppy under you at first and have a heavy feel that is not a reality. The biggest thing to get used to at the kind of speeds you can carry out there is how the bike tracks, and how fast or slow it steers, and how well the rear stays down.

He'll probably come back wanting a Honda after getting used to it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good input guys, thanks. The TRX is setup for the right weight, has Flexx bars and a twist throttle same as the KFX. I think we're going to go for it. Learning cold turkey how a quad handles at 80 mph pinned in 5th just sounds a bit sketchy lol.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll close the loop on this thread. My son joined the TRX450 Vegas to Reno team. Rode the second leg with zero time on the quad prior. He said the Honda doesn't steer near as well as his KFX, especially pinned in 5th. The TRX had a lighter feel in the front end and was much easier to wheelie over obstacles, but didn't like to turn.

Unfortunately, at about mile 80 of the 540 miles, while my son was riding, the Honda broke a ground wire under the fuel tank. The team lost about 3 hours being towed in and making the repair.

That's when the fun begins. When you get down 3 hours in V2R you are no longer racing the bikes and quads, you are racing with the 130 mph Trophy Trucks and Class 1 buggies. You race looking over your shoulder, looking for the next cloud of dust that might kill you. You get the hell out of the way and hope the next truck following in the dust doesn't drill you.

The trophy trucks with their 40" tires and 800hp create 4 foot whoops, and ruts so deep the quad will high-center instantly if your on the wrong line.

Oh, then it gets dark. Repeat the above except you can't see shit. Blinding silt beds, and you've got a little red flashing winky light on your back to keep from getting killed. At this point it's stupidity or BIG BALLS that keep you going into the night.

At midnight, 17+ hours after the start, they finished.

Great fun, we're thinking of putting together a KFX team next year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That sounds like you guys had a great time then! I never did a race like that, closest would be the WORCS series and Grand Prix races, but man it seems fun. I recently have got an urge to enter a RZR into something like that but obviously the funding to be competitive is much more than for a quad.

I never liked the TRX to be honest. Before I got my KFX I had a YFZ and I almost switched to the TRX, but I'm glad I got my KFX instead. I'll never own another quad. I personally just don't think (much like your son) there's much else that handles better, especially stock.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Thats good!! by your couple of paragraphs i would never want to race that haha sounds scary but fun

scary+fun=scary fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts