KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quad is only starting in neutral right now. I have swapped the neutral start and the clutch start relays, doesnt help. Tried jumping the 2 wires coming from the clutch perch still didnt start. One thing i am confused on is the location of the clutch saftey switch. IS that switch just built into the multi function switch with the headlights, and kill switch on the left handlebar? The clutch may be out of adjustment it does grab pretty far out but i dont really know how to check that. Any tips would be appreciated. Got the quad from a private seller, does have some aftermarket steel braided clutch cable.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm pretty sure the switch is in the clutch perch. I had to mess with it when I swapped clutch perches. I went from OEM perch to a WC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch perch is the thing on the left side of the quad with the 2 wires going into? Mine has 2 wires a red wire and a green wire. Going into some sort of sealed rubber black thing with 2 bolts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The clutch perch is the thing on the left side of the quad with the 2 wires going into? Mine has 2 wires a red wire and a green wire. Going into some sort of sealed rubber black thing with 2 bolts
Clutch perch is what holds your clutch lever to the handlebars. There is a small plunger in there that compresses when you pull in the clutch. Since the previous owner changed clutch cable he may have broken it. It is pretty fragile.

The plunger thing goes were the small hole is in the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think I just twisted the two wires together and bypassed the neutral safety stuff. I know mine will turn over as soon as I hit the starter no matter what gear or if I have the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
no. the dirty looking aluminum piece is the perch. The black thing is just a cover for an adjustment knob.

In this pic, you have the clutch lever (left side), Clutch Perch (middle), and the black rubber cover (right side)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm no master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I would bet that the small plunger type switch up on the clutch is causing the issue. There may be other things causing it by IMO it's the clutch switch.
Let me know if it looks good and I will break out my service manual and see if there is anything else that you could try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks im gonna check it out this weekend. Do i need to take off the whole multi function switch on the handlebar to check it? I also want to adjust the clutch it does grab pretty far out. Are all the adjustments done at the clutch lever?

·
Registered
153 Posts
My bike does the same thing. I would like to know how to fix it as it can be a pain in the butt. Except my clutch is tight and grabs like right away

1 - 12 of 12 Posts