KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone

A while back my quad was leaking oil somewhere in the head so I first started easy and replaced the valve cover gasket and that wasnt it so I kept trying differnt things to stop the leak without having to take the whole head off so eventually my valve cover bolt snapped inside my cam caps and cracked the thread and eventually the half of the thread fell into the gap where the timing chain comes up along with a oil pipe so I bought a flywheel puller along with a new head because of the broken caps and I got the 2 parts that fell into that gap by removing the flywheel and I forgot to tighten back down the flywheel bolt all the way and re timed the quad perfectly with a loose flywheel bolt so I thought I was fine I tried cranking the quad and it turned over for a second and sounded like it was trying to and now it wont so I took off my valve cover from my new cylinder head and I noticed the marks on both cams were not aimed at the edges of the cylinder head when the engine is at TDC so I went back and tightened the flywheel bolt down with a impact and re timed it so right now the engine is completely in time at TDC but when I try to start the quad it just cranks and cranks and wont turn over I tried a lot of things unplugging my power commander putting the OEM fuel injector in changing the spark plug to the one I had in my old head im not sure what to do anymore.

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Did you retract the cam chain tensioner when installing...??

Does your F.I dash light remain ON or flashing when starting...??

Make sure there's slack in the throttle cable for the butterfly to completely close to Idle position or it will error the TPS and will not start...!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FI light only turned on when the battery was low I think but yeah the chain tensioner should be fine but I was playing with it so I could loosen the chain it might be on right but I'm not sure how to tell

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
also if you need I can send you a video of it trying to start if you want
Check the three basics...spark, fuel in the combustion chamber & compression..

Make sure there's slack in the throttle cable...!

Make sure the battery is fully charged...12.8 volts standard...

Check your TPS voltage...see pic

Did you count 29 pins between cam markings & check Cam chain tensioner instruction...see pics

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas I'm going to try the tensioner today but I never messed with the throttle positioning sensor so I don't think it would be that I turned the little knob all the way to the left and then 18-19 clicks to the right but that's all I did. Also the quad is perfectly in time it looks just like the picture and there's 29 studs between both marks on the cam when you turn the flywheel bolt counterclockwise till the marks line up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts