KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me set the mood of the day, it was a foggy soggy morning at Winchester Bay, on the Oregon dunes. My bike has been backfiring when I let off the throttle all day, which tells me my bike is running too rich and I need to get more air intake. That bugged me the entire day, but I still was able to have fun racing my 60+ hp beast.

Near the end of the day I was drag racing with a few of my buddies down at the second day use area where its flat sand perfect for dragging. Just when were about to head back to the staging area to load up and leave, the fuzz pulls up with their lights flashing. He points to 2 of my friends then points to me, saying you 3 are going to get tested for excessive noise db.

I knew immediately I was going to get a ticket, my Dasa pipe packing is nearly gone and my bike has been backfiring like crazy. Of course after they tested my sound levels my bike hit 106 db which is 13 db over the legal limit for the state of Oregon. Now I owe $175.00 and the ticket is considered a Class A Misdemeanor.

Now that I set the mood and explained what happend, here are my questions for everyone.

A: The letting off the throttle backfiring that is going on, is it due to the low amount of air being intake? Or would you speculate it may be something else like the missin packing...

B: If I repacked my Dasa exhaust would I be able to ever achieve 93-95 db and I am also missing the spark arrestor. Is it worth is to just repack, or should I buy a new exhaust.

B.1: If I do buy a new exhaust what would you all recommend that meets 93-95 db regulations but does not ruin the performance comparison to a Dasa.

C: Has anyone ever fought this sort of a ticket, if so did you win or lose and do you have any advice?

My current setup

PORTED HEAD (LED Engines)
DASA EXHAUST
WEB CAMS 242/216
PC3 PROGRAMER
CUSTOM INTAKE TUBE
AC RACING NERF BARS AND GRAB BAR
MONSTER GRAPHICS
HONDA REAR SPROCKET AND BOLTS
CUSTOM FRONT ARMS 6 DEG CAST ANGLES

Thanks for reading this book hahaha

·
Registered
546 Posts
Let me set the mood of the day, it was a foggy soggy morning at Winchester Bay, on the Oregon dunes. My bike has been backfiring when I let off the throttle all day, which tells me my bike is running too rich and I need to get more air intake. That bugged me the entire day, but I still was able to have fun racing my 60+ hp beast.

Near the end of the day I was drag racing with a few of my buddies down at the second day use area where its flat sand perfect for dragging. Just when were about to head back to the staging area to load up and leave, the fuzz pulls up with their lights flashing. He points to 2 of my friends then points to me, saying you 3 are going to get tested for excessive noise db.

I knew immediately I was going to get a ticket, my Dasa pipe packing is nearly gone and my bike has been backfiring like crazy. Of course after they tested my sound levels my bike hit 106 db which is 13 db over the legal limit for the state of Oregon. Now I owe $175.00 and the ticket is considered a Class A Misdemeanor.

Now that I set the mood and explained what happend, here are my questions for everyone.

A: The letting off the throttle backfiring that is going on, is it due to the low amount of air being intake? Or would you speculate it may be something else like the missin packing...

B: If I repacked my Dasa exhaust would I be able to ever achieve 93-95 db and I am also missing the spark arrestor. Is it worth is to just repack, or should I buy a new exhaust.

B.1: If I do buy a new exhaust what would you all recommend that meets 93-95 db regulations but does not ruin the performance comparison to a Dasa.

C: Has anyone ever fought this sort of a ticket, if so did you win or lose and do you have any advice?

My current setup

PORTED HEAD (LED Engines)
DASA EXHAUST
WEB CAMS 242/216
PC3 PROGRAMER
CUSTOM INTAKE TUBE
AC RACING NERF BARS AND GRAB BAR
MONSTER GRAPHICS
HONDA REAR SPROCKET AND BOLTS
CUSTOM FRONT ARMS 6 DEG CAST ANGLES

Thanks for reading this book hahaha

Sounds like it would be a combo if both things.

Not going to get the DBs that low with a Dasa with just a repack. You would need the quiet core insert.

If you want a new quiet exhaust go with the Jardine that you can get from KB Motorsports for a great price. Also there is the HMF Comp Series that has three different end caps for 3 different levels. The lowest one will put you around 93DBs. Also can get from KB Motorsports.

Not a lot you can do to fight it since there was a test ran. More than likely have to pay the fine and not get another. They will keep an eye on you now since they got you once.

·
Registered
445 Posts
A "backfire" when you let off is nearly always caused by an air leak in the exhaust. Unburnt fuel in the exhaust mixes with the air from the leak and explodes. Check the exhaust flange and pipe connections. And yes a rich mixture will make the situation worse.

Only way to beat that ticket is to challenge the calibration records of the equipment or the training level of the officer.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I'd go try to fight the ticket I think if you are off work for the court date.

Here is my problem with exhaust dB restrictions....

Do you know what RPM exhaust is tested at for dB levels?
(most people don't)

Did the testing officer put a tach on your machine for the test?

Is there a place provided by the state of Oregon where you can take your machine to test for compliance?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I am going to do is replace the packing and buy a quite core insert for my Dasa pipe, then go get it retested and as long as it meets regulation I will go fight the ticket. I will have a document showing my bike meets regulation now, so maybe they can lower the fine or remove it all together.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree with the part about does oregon have a place so you can test your machine. Basically any one of us is just goin by what the manufacturer is sayin the pipe db is. To me db laws are dumb. Now if you were ridin in town or somethin i can see. But you were at a designated riding place. If it was a national forest you would HAVE to run a spark arrestor in your pipe which would ultimately have lowered your db level anyways. Most law enforcement dont like us dirtbikers and atv'ers. They were probably havin a bad day and wanted to pick on someone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is my problem with exhaust dB restrictions....

Do you know what RPM exhaust is tested at for dB levels?
(most people don't)
Yes, they test at 1/2 redline RPM for your machine

Did the testing officer put a tach on your machine for the test?
Yes, they use a funky one but it's close to accurate RPM reading

Is there a place provided by the state of Oregon where you can take your machine to test for compliance?
Yes, If you’d like to find out the decibel level of your machine, the Oregon Dunes crew offers complimentary sound tests. Simply flag them down, or call the OHV Coordinator at 541-271-6040 to schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What if you call them over to test yer quad and it doesnt test good. Do they still give you a ticket for tryin to do the right thing? That would suck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
What if you call them over to test yer quad and it doesnt test good. Do they still give you a ticket for tryin to do the right thing? That would suck!
No, no ticket for requesting the sound test. But you have to ask them to test and make it clear that you're not just saying that because you realized they were about to pull you over. If you test too high, back on the trailer it goes. They do tell you that if they see you out there after that without quieting it down then it's a ticket on the spot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ok well thats good. I carry my spark arrestor with me all the time. I assume my pipe will pass. Cant you buy the machine that actually tests your pipe? I go to colorado alot and dont want to get pulled over up there. I dont know what their law is on db levels.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm going to bumb this thread and add to it a little.

There are other people who can test you too. The host at Oregon Dunes KOA has a USFS approved tester

Does anyone know what the KFX450 does stock for a db level?

At the dune entrance in Coos Bay the USFS has a graph that shows what percent of exhausts pass a 95 db test. On this graph only 90% of stock exhaust passes a 95 db test, so I'm willing to bet around only 80%-85% of stock quads can pass a 93 db test (Which is the legal limit.)

Also, just to vent, I dont see how anyone that lives so close to Hwy 101 can complain about the quads being to loud... Semi's and diesels driving by the campground are way louder than most of the quads in the campground...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yea or those diesels and other trucks drown out the sound of an atv exhaust. Sounds like people that just want to start crap with us atv guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I need to post on this one. There are a total of three agencies that can ticket you. the state police, usfs, and local police. I talked to the person in charge of the whole Db. deal years ago. The reason that this is even an issue is the fact that retired folks have moved in to the area and complained about the noise. This was never an issue 20 years ago! The fact that you can ride harleys' ,and crotch rockets staight piped on the road baffles me. The only way that you could fight this ticket is to get an attorney. I know that this would suck but you need to be "in the know" about these minor laws.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone know what the KFX450 does stock for a db level?
Yes, 86-89 dB depending on testing conditions

At the dune entrance in Coos Bay the USFS has a graph that shows what percent of exhausts pass a 95 db test. On this graph only 90% of stock exhaust passes a 95 db test, so I'm willing to bet around only 80%-85% of stock quads can pass a 93 db test (Which is the legal limit.)
Can you post this chart? The one displayed in Winchester Bay is for modified exhaust and shows a higher percentage of those passing the test than you claim can pass in stock form? I attached it below for reference.

Our sand club recieved one of the sound testing units since we volunteer at so many of the events in the Oregon Dunes. I think you would be hard pressed to find a stock machine that won't pass sound check...we haven't yet.

Also, just to vent, I dont see how anyone that lives so close to Hwy 101 can complain about the quads being to loud... Semi's and diesels driving by the campground are way louder than most of the quads in the campground...
This is very true and I imagine everyone would agree 100%. Unfortunately what's going on in the Oregon Dunes right now has more to do with a progressive political agenda opening doors that specifically make it easy for greenies to pounce on shutting down land to Off Highway Vehicle use. Local residents are simply jumping on board with the only complaint they can speak intelligently about...noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have you ever seen them test a sandrail or jeep out on the dunes? I havent either. The locals love the atv riders. The old fart retiries are the problem on the sound issue.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Look guys... I'm on our side and everything...

But realize that the number of 4 strokes out there now is heavily related to why people are complaining. The sound levels just carry so much farther from the 4 strokes.

Yes, the old 2 strokes screamed... but that sound didn't travel as far.

I personally think their mouths are noise pollution, but that's beside the point.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Senator, that same poster is by the hauser dune entrance, but there is a different one by the Hauser day use parking lot that I was referencing. We stay at the KOA there from time to time and you can't hear the quads in the dunes at all, the semi's and harleys can keep you up at night though going by on 101.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Im gonna be goin to colorado this summer and I know my yosh pipe on the kfx 450 needs repacked probably since im the third owner. I assume there is a kit out there to redo it? Also when I get my offroad permits for my kfx and my brute, are they gonna check my db levels or anything else? My brute has a Big Gun system on it and its loud as well. I do have all the sparkarrestors for my pipes too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dont know about colorado, but Oregon and Cali dont test you when you get your offroad permit. You might check with colorado and your state to see if they honor each others off road permits too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts