21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They were adjusting the timing with the race ecu

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
hard to get? I've got one so does probably 50% of the posters. they are or were 50$ on eBay forever. you could always buy one at the dealer from day one. now the actual cabels and things that allow you to use it is extremely expensive. so expensive that 99.9% of the people with one of these ecu 's only use it as a replacement ecu because of the battery drain issue some of the factory units had. as matter of fact Hetrick used it like everybody else does just a real good replacement ecu. they used pim 2 for fuel control. the kawi race ecu didn't allow enough adjustment for Mega builds. not throwing off on the quad as it is one of the top 2 quads I've saw on this forum. when I saw special part that we couldn't get I was very interested. I was thinking flywheel some type of coil internals ext.
Dee at rage said their was only 2 of these ecus made for the hetrick bikes i believe.. It fixed the problem that made the kawi inconsistant on the dyno...this has to be the bike he was talking about. Im sure he done all the motor work or something with it. But im pretty sure its the ecu thats different. Their is something because he told me that they custom made them for his bike amd never got out to the public

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Im not 100% sure though. He may of jus dynoed the bike.. Wish i could remember. I do remember he saying that they had a special ecu joel had one and maybe it was keith little?? Supposedly their was only the two that were made

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Rage did a lot of the engine work for hetrick. He told me that the Ecu was the same as the factory bikes. He also said that it changed the timing quite a lot.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Wrong place for this discussion, but it is quite flustering and should be taken elsewhere. But can't really do that now that it has already started.

So, let me say this... I have the Kawasaki FI Calibration Tool.
It is to me a JOKE... and I am being soft lipped about it.

As far as timing, it has no more adjustability in it than some of the early builders like MaxPower added to their builds via way of the offset flywheel keys they machined and put in their big bore stroker motors such as the 507. This is of course a mechanical advance because there was no other means to get advance. So they machined keys until they could get no more advance in a motor without causing a run issue somewhere due to the ACROSS THE BOARD flat line advance above stock.

Want to know the maximum advance you can put in the race ecu's? 3.16 degree advance is the programmed maximum in the software. Procom on the other hand... you may blow your motor into a zillion pieces, but you can adjust from -10 from stock to +32 from stock on 2 separate logics.

As far as fuel... again a JOKE... You can only adjust ONE BOX at each 1000 RPM mark and the MAXIMUM fuel increase is 30.1%.... again that is the maximum entry value programmed into the software. Got a PC3, PC5, Juice Box Pro, PIM2... look at your fuel % of your map plugged into the fields. Imagine you only a single row of 11 boxes across the RPM side and the max value accepted was 30.1. Then tell me that would fuel a factory MX bike... and take also a moment to imagine how that would run.

The only thing cool this setup has that nothing else does is that you do have an Injection Time Coefficient Map. Anybody know what that is? I didn't think so. Take a bite into this and see what you come up with. Injector Characterization Now, start rattling off people in the ATV industry that can explain and adjust that out for you.... Yes, you would be hard pressed to even find someone in the automotive industry that could sling that on the dyno and tweak it out.

Now my final rant here is on Rich Hetrick himself. I have known the guy to tell people every word they wanted to hear for the sake of selling off parts on the shelf that were used in Joel's bikes and marketed that way. He sold a guy I know the most agressive mx race cams cause he had them on the shelf.... to a guy with a stock motor for XC.

Furthermore, people talk to me all the time, and I hear stories all the time about what "Hetrick told them". Most of it is pure horse poo. I have known him to tell people all sorts of crap, like they retarded ignition timing at high rpm, etc... when I know there was not even a way to do that then. And there still is not unless you run a procom. The only way that would even be possible is to cut a retarded igniton key to somewhere between 0 - 3.16 degrees. Then advance the timing on the ECU 3.16 degrees all the way to that point and bring it back to 0 so that the mechanical retard would kick in from the flywheel being retarded.

But then the whole concept in itself is retarded literally.

The only secret Rich Hetrick knows he won't tell and that is how to adjust the throttle body butterfly out, for which you then reset the TPS after adjustment. And I don't think that really does much but get you back in the middle of your idle clicker adjustment. But I could be wrong. I am too chicken to toy with one because of the way it the adjustment is set up and the fact I do not have a spare.

There were no top secret not available to the public parts for any of the big time race bikes... other than the one that was hiding in plain site... and that was the works pro circuit header the Factory Kawi Pro Circuit bikes had... Creamer and Weinen... that header is not the header you get when you buy a pro circuit full exhaust and to my knowledge that was never let out of the bag and none of them were ever sold with it still on the bike that I know of.

The only big secret is pretty obvious. When these bikes were sold they were sold off with no fuel controller and therefore would hardly run. The secret was that these Pro Circuit built bikes were fueled by Yoshi PIM2 fuel controllers and that would have sort of been a hair embarassing being they compete directly with Yoshi.

So anyways, show me some detail pics of one of those special computers and I will post up some pictures of one with matching numbers on it just like it. Either that or I will eat crow.

SORRY TO THE OP... NICE BIKE, GOOD LUCK WITH THE SALE.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
First off my for sale thread is way off track now and I thank you for that. I believe it also has the pim2 on it also. I'm not 100% not that though. Anyone who wants to know about the bike or questions what it has call Hetrick and ask him yourself. I bought the quad two years ago and have ridden it about 4 times. That includes 1 national and 1 amateur race. I don't remember every last detail that has been done to the motor or every aspect of what tuning he used. All I can say is he told me when Kawi pulled out of racing they have him quite a bit of stuff. The computer(s) being one. They also have him the braking front master cylinder which I have never seen before.

So back on topic. Unless you have a question about the bike keep lets keep our opinions and parts discussions to other threads.

·
Registered
795 Posts
there is one on eBay right now; but its 500$. they were 50$ all dsyeveryday with the cabels,software,you needed going for 500$. maybe this one has everything with it. pritboy gave me mine! like I say MANY people has the ecu but I only know of 1man who actually used it the way it was designed. I don't know anybody who could afford to use it by itself.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts