KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read a couple places about a roll over sensor? i am use to a 04 450r and never had any issue with it. and what are some parts i should keep as spears?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Worst one ive heard of is wiring harnesses being routed into places they can rub and short out, watch for those. Stock front suspension not par IMO, and the KFX intake system (stock) is restrictive. Other than that i cant really think of anything off hand, other than the stock pipe sounds like a dry fart that never ends, only changes tone as it shifts cheeks, hahaha.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
1. Wiring harness rubs and shorts out
2. OEM ECU causes battery drain in many units and is not something Kawi is willing to re-call
3. Roll-over sensor is worthless and needs to be bypassed
4. Stock intake design is miserable
5. Throttle position sensor can cause issues if not adjusted right
6. Stock header cracks and blows up due to heat and vibration
7. Most are toed improperly from the factory (need 1/8" in per side from what I like)
8. The lower steering stem bearing goes out and is expensive to replace
9. The frame and subframe nut inserts spin in the frame and don't let you tighten/losen bolts
10. Shocks are really rough in stock form
11. Stock seat is hard as a rock
12. Crank and connecting rod is weak if you consider going to a hi-comp piston
13. Several people have busted cases when switching to reverse when high centered w/wheels spinning slowly
14. Rear sprocket bolts shear and cause the chain to bust the case unless you have a poly case saver and are watchful of the bolts.
15. Spindles are weak where the tie rod ends attach and break.
16. Front bumper mounts are weak, so if you run anything stronger than an OEM bumper you will mess them up (crack or break the lowers) at the first small impact.
17. Brake light switch on front master cylinder shorts out and causes the main fuse to blow
18. Did I mention that IF you have a problem, the electrical system is HARD to troubleshoot
19. Oil screens in the bottom end need to be cleaned out yearly.
20. Both oil drain bolts strip out easily.

Hate to make it sound like a horrible quad, but I had mine since 07 and there were plenty of things that went wrong and I've been around with everyone else complaining. Know plenty of die hard Kawi guys like me that finally just gave up on it. The motor is strong, but honestly this quad takes just about the most money to get it ready to race in comparison to the other 450's (other than the KTM of course w/the high initial investment and horrible maintenance).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Heard of some people on here having some trouble. But I have ran the dog piss out of mine for about 30-40hrs on it total. That includes wide open dune riding, hill climbing back east, and hard riding through trails. Change oil after every ride and check wire harness after every couple rides. Never had any trouble with mine. Still runs strong. Only trouble I had was the tail light fell off and the frame rubbed the wire enough to blow a fuse. But that was the dealer fault as the tail light was over tightened.

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 I have to agree,

I have put about 30-40 hrs on mine since I bought it in may. I might be the only person on this site who actually likes the stock seat. The stock suspension is pretty rough. I have played with it and it is much more tolerable now.

The previous owner spun 5 of the inserts so that is on my list of things to fix.
Also my axle bearings went out last weekend going to replace them tomorrow when they come in the mail.

Happy owner so far.

Heard of some people on here having some trouble. But I have ran the dog piss out of mine for about 30-40hrs on it total. That includes wide open dune riding, hill climbing back east, and hard riding through trails. Change oil after every ride and check wire harness after every couple rides. Never had any trouble with mine. Still runs strong. Only trouble I had was the tail light fell off and the frame rubbed the wire enough to blow a fuse. But that was the dealer fault as the tail light was over tightened.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
+1 I have to agree,

The previous owner spun 5 of the inserts so that is on my list of things to fix.
Good luck fixing them. Lol. You can't weld them b/c they are steel in an aluminum frame and if you buy new ones they'll be loose still after being put in. Only way to try to fix them is to work some JB weld in all the way around the edge, but that won't hold up for long and you can't fully tighten them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was thinking I would go to my local true value and get some ss Bolts and nuts and just to though the frame with some washers on both sides of the frame.

BTW its the four bolts that hold the tool tray/ rear fenders on and one of the bolts at the base of the gas tank so getting to the nut shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Im gonna get a aluminum piece welded to my frame over winter just to cover the engine. Then cut holes in it for drain holes and so i can get rocks out if they get in there. No matter how the skids bolt on they always are screwed up at least in my expierence so im gonna do this and be done with it.

I heard this was done on cody gibsons kawi thats where i got the idea from.

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
1. Wiring harness rubs and shorts out
2. OEM ECU causes battery drain in many units and is not something Kawi is willing to re-call
3. Roll-over sensor is worthless and needs to be bypassed
4. Stock intake design is miserable
5. Throttle position sensor can cause issues if not adjusted right
6. Stock header cracks and blows up due to heat and vibration
7. Most are toed improperly from the factory (need 1/8" in per side from what I like)
8. The lower steering stem bearing goes out and is expensive to replace
9. The frame and subframe nut inserts spin in the frame and don't let you tighten/losen bolts
10. Shocks are really rough in stock form
11. Stock seat is hard as a rock
12. Crank and connecting rod is weak if you consider going to a hi-comp piston
13. Several people have busted cases when switching to reverse when high centered w/wheels spinning slowly
14. Rear sprocket bolts shear and cause the chain to bust the case unless you have a poly case saver and are watchful of the bolts.
15. Spindles are weak where the tie rod ends attach and break.
16. Front bumper mounts are weak, so if you run anything stronger than an OEM bumper you will mess them up (crack or break the lowers) at the first small impact.
17. Brake light switch on front master cylinder shorts out and causes the main fuse to flow
18. Did I mention that IF you have a problem, the electrical system is HARD to troubleshoot

Hate to make it sound like a horrible quad, but I had mine since 07 and there were plenty of things that went wrong and I've been around with everyone else complaining. Know plenty of die hard Kawi guys like me that finally just gave up on it. The motor is strong, but honestly this quad takes just about the most money to get it ready to race in comparison to the other 450's (other than the KTM of course w/the high initial investment and horrible maintenance).
Is that all...!!! I'm glad I bought me one...Lol..!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOW!!!...Well hell...I`m startin` to think that maybe buyin` a KFX450 wasn`t such a good idea now afterall. I`m just glad I didn`t buy a brand spankin` new one for quite alot more money than what I paid for this one! At least that way it`s not going to be nearly as hard of a hit to take whenever I end up havin` to bail on it! I guess that`s what I get for always wanting to be a little different & not giving into the temptation of owning a Honda 450R (the "Camaro" racing quad as I like to refer to it).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another proble is the oil drain bolt.. cause the threads on the inside of the enginehave a small epth they stripp out easily.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Personally ive only had trouble with 2,4,10, and 11 on that list. lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have an '09 and only had problems with #s 4, 7, 10, and 11.

#4 wasn't a "problem", but it makes more power if you fix it.
#7 toe-in is an easy fix that doesn't cost anything unless you have to buy the tools.
#10 I just had my shocks revalved.
#11 You can get Quad Tech seat foam only and re-use the seat pan and seat cover. Around $60.

Oh yeah, you do have to be careful when changing oil. Don't tighten according to torque specs or the plugs might strip. Someone on here says he just tightens the plugs hand tight, then another quarter turn with a wrench. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Added the drain bolt issue to the list...don't know how I forgot that one. Lol

For me and other people who race the KFX...many of us have experienced most of these issues. A lot of guys who trail ride have gotten lucky and not had issues...congrats to them b/c they got lucky! Then again, I know a few people who have raced their KFX for a few years now w/o anything but normal wear and tear issues. I was the only one who raced a KFX in our XC series here in Indiana last season b/c everyone who tried the season before had nothing but bad luck. Last season...I hardly had an issue other than simple things to fix...but from day 1 after the rebuild this year I had issues and before the rebuilt last year I had issues. If you do the right maintenance and replace everything way before you need to, this can be a good quad. Otherwise...if you want a cheap to maintain quad this isn't it. Lol.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I gueus I am one of the lucky ones, I have ran the crap out of mine for 3 years,one year trail riding and 2 full race seasons. Ony problem I have had was the bare wire problem, plenty of tape seems to have fixed that one so far. Im still on the stock top end too, probally freshen that up this winter.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You will run into issues with any and all of the 450's. Just go look on any forum. You will read about people having repeated issues. On LTR450HQ.com, there are several guys who are on their 3rd transmission, because they blew out 3rd gear again. Or broke the shift rod inside. NO 450 IS BULLETPROOF!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts