KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of buying a cheap 2008 KFX450 with a rough idle. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 dollars in parts to get it running right and I know some of the fuel injected machines can get pricey to fix depending on the parts needed. Since the quad starts and runs with just a rough idle I am thinking it is a minor problem. What do you owners of these machines think? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
you can find a used one cheap without a rough idle. I would avoid buying a used KFX with electrical problems unless you know it is something simple to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can find a used one cheap without a rough idle. I would avoid buying a used KFX with electrical problems unless you know it is something simple to fix.
The seller wants $1500! For that, a rough idle might be worth the money to fix!

·
Registered
264 Posts
it might just need to adjust the "choke" Might not be enough fuel getting to it while at Idle. But it could be something electrical related or injector related. Also depending on how hard this 2008 was used the frame may be compromised just behind the front A-arms. There are a lot of things you are going to want to look at before deciding to go 2008 used. It looks pretty much stock with a set of nerfs from the pic. My point is you should talk to Duster , ononewheel or Prettyboy69. Some of the Forum Vets about what it would be worth and what may be wrong with it .

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Yeah, you will have to go check it out and see at what kind of idle speed it is running rough. If slow, you might snatch that up and fix in minutes at home. But not likely.

If the EFI/Temp light is on, you might take it home and run the diag and the ECU code what is wrong.

All in all though.... the KFX just ain't a "budget bike" in my opinion. It can get very expensive on upkeep and repairs as far as EFI/Electrical issues... which are also stressful.

These do have very good engine and frame life though vs other 450's. So maybe it evens out or comes out in our favor? I keep telling myself that anyways.... lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Get it do a carb conversion and hopefully the motor inside is good and youll be set. Could keep electric start lights and all except efi. Or get rid of all of that stuff and get a kicker(theres one on facebook for sale as we speak) Youll need a procom as thats what the guys who've done it have used. And it will be a cool ass kfx. Or keep it as is and hope its an easy fix. Good luck if you get it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts