KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well first I would like to say that I saw a lot more KFXs than I expected. That was cool. Secondly I would say that my race was about as bad of a race as a guy could have without going to the hospital. I got a rock lodged in between the wheel and caliper on the left front wheel about 3 miles into lap 1. It locked up the front left wheel and about sent me over the bars. I finally got that figured out after a couple minutes, then broke a rear sprocket in half at about mile 11 of lap 1. Chalk up a big fat DNF! After the race while I was being towed back by the track crew we ripped off my front bumper as we were crossing a creek. The only good thing was that a guy made even less distance than me in my class, so I was not dead last. To add insult to injury, the retracting cable piece of my enclosed trailer ramp broke. Not a big deal but even more annoying that it happened today.

I'll upload my GoPro footage when we get back home.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Didn't know you were going.

Sounds like a rough day. I missed the AM race. There was only one KFX out of 171 quads in the PM. The finish was a disappointment to me too. I wanted to see Fowler win a Championship. I'd like to see McGill get one too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some Go Pro video of Fowler and Borich leaving the MX track heading into the scoring chute on the last lap. Talk about epic finish. Fowler is a true role model for the younger racers. He spoke highly of Borich and thanked him for running hard, but clean and even stuck around and high fived Sean as he was leaving the podium. Great ambassador fr the sport. 540ish quads in AM race and almost 900 bikes in AM race. Epic weather too.

Duster. I have to admit you were right when you told me about my sprocket set-up. Wish I would have listened. I'm pretty sure that if I had ran my full skid plate back there the rock would have never hit the sprocket hub and broke the sprocket. Oh well. Lesson learned the hard way.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yeah, I just wish NBC/ABC/CBS would take it a step further and put ATV racing on TV. A better group of athletes to watch in my opinion than the ball sports guys. Also a lot more interesting to watch as far as racing sports. Less boring than cars going in a circle or down a drag strip.

As far as the dang problems you had Nicely... there is a device for your front problem. I saw it on a race pic of Cooks quad. I went looking for him last round but he didn't come (didn't need to). But anyways he has a shield of some sort that only exposes the brake caliper.

For the rotor guards, you have to run the Honda bolts and sprockets for that. I just can't see the small clearance gained under the chain being worth the trouble. 4 bolts and you have a PRM or DG Baja skid mounted up that has great clearance. The sprocket guard you have to buy that, drill out the hub, get bolts, get honda sprocket, then figure out how you are going to protect the brake and the bottom of the swinger. Too much for too little for me. I have even had this stuff handed to me to crash test. I even bought the bit to drill out the hub. But I just bolted another skid on.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the guard is a solid product and I was a victim of a freak mishap, but I know one thing. My full 3/4" thick rear skid plate will be mounted back on it vs. the sprocket guard. I ran a VXCS race with it and it was flawless, but the Ironman had a lot more rocks than the VXCS race did. I'll post pics I took of it with my Go Pro right after it broke and I was waiting to be towed back to the pits.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad weekend. Well at least your ok. I had my sprocket shattered in pieces also a month ago, wasn't in a race but i would hate to lose a race because of it!!! Definitely go with the bigger honda bolts and steel sprocket.

That video was awesome Barney.

Duster, i love watching sports (ball sports), but man i hate the fact that i can't watch any atv race live. It really sucks. Not sure why they keeps us under ground.

I drove two hours saturday to a MX track, just to get told that they are not allowing atvs on the motorcross track anymore because we mess it up and the dirtbike guys were been cry babys about it. It really boils my blood.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ironman carnage pics. At least it happened at the bottom of the hill vs. the top. On a good note, I got to see some pretty good action on the hill climbs while I was waiting for the tow truck. There use to be a case saver there before the rear sprocket broke. Time for new cases :(

Attachments

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Ohhhh,,,, man.... gosh... that hurts to look at..... :(

No Moose/UPP Poly case saver either? :(

I'm thinking cases are like $300 if you can do the work? Seems like someone may have found them cheaper through somewhere?

If you can't do that work, you could take the top end off that motor and put it on your other bottom end if you trust the crank on it?

Is the case straight busted or are the case saver mounts just broke off? If just the mounts, are there any threads left? I have seen a few that still held a poly case saver after damage just fine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The case is fine. The cheapo case saver I had on it do its job but the mounting holes for the saver broke off. I have a case already for it, just need to take the time an swap them out. And the rear end, and the front sprocket, and a couple other items. I honestly think I had a freak rock strike and it hit the sprocket between the hub and the sprocket. The sprocket guard is not scratched or anything. All the bolts holding the sprocket to the hub are sheared off though. I don't know, but I will be running my full swing arm skid plate for now on.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Dang, that's a shame then if it is OK aside from the case saver mounts.

I'd almost jerry rig a moose case saver in place and keep rolling. Mine fits in there so tight I have a time prying it out of there after I remove the bolts. Little silicone or something and I swear it would be fused in place I think... lol.

I think sloscooter ran one with one or both mount holes trashed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Damn that sucks dude! Hope you get it back running soon.......

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a plan of attack for my broken case. I believe there is enough material remaining to get a couple bolts started where the case saver mounting holes broke. If there is, I plan to put a couple threaded bolts without heads in there then build the area up with lab metal ( JB Weld type stuff, but a little better quality ). If the plan goes accordingly, I will add my Moose case saver then simply put a couple nuts on the studs to hold everything in place. There is not much stress put on those bolts during normal operation, so a little "creative engineering" should be good enough. Lab Metal is supposedly powder coatable, tappable, and the cats meow.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i have a plan of attack for my broken case. I believe there is enough material remaining to get a couple bolts started where the case saver mounting holes broke. If there is, I plan to put a couple threaded bolts without heads in there then build the area up with lab metal ( JB Weld type stuff, but a little better quality ). If the plan goes accordingly, I will add my Moose case saver then simply put a couple nuts on the studs to hold everything in place. There is not much stress put on those bolts during normal operation, so a little "creative engineering" should be good enough. Lab Metal is supposedly powder coatable, tappable, and the cats meow.
You need to start a whole new thread on that process. We'd all be watching. :)

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
It will take super little to keep the Moose case saver in place.

I'm telling you, you could probably really glue it and it would do it's thing. I doubt derailing a chain would move it even. And if it did it wouldn't hurt anything.

So what ever you do will work fine. If you have a few threads in at least one of the holes you are good. It fits so tight if you were to stick treaded rod in there and tack weld them you would have to dremel out the poly a little on the back side to clearance for the tack welds.... or anything else you put around there that exceeded the stock case any.

I have to dig and pry at mine with a screwdriver to get it outta there after I take the bolts out. It's a bear.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Sorry my stock guard is on in the way of seeing it completely.

(Nobody else does this, but I am stupid and get on mine with lace up boots or shoes sometimes)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duster that's the set-up I plan to run. The case saver and the guard/shield. This process looks easy with a high possibility of success, so im gonna give it a try. Worse case scenario, Im back at square 1 and replace a case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts