KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a new velocity intake because of it's really low price i was wondering if you guys think it will get to dirty sense it does not come with an air box. Also i was wondering if it is bad to have an new intake and not a efi controller. I am not able to spend any more money.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
yes its bad, replacing the stock intake tube without a fuel controller and map.is not good for ur quad

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it harm my quad. I had some one tell me that it doesn't harm it it just doesnt get the same power gains. Is this true?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
It's gonna get more air and it may end up having a lean air/fuel ratio.

As for the box, you can make one for it later if needed.
Some guys run MX or dry desert conditions always and just don't really need a box.

There are lots of airbox eliminators out there for guys who never come in contact with water or bad mud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so the only problem if it has a lean air/fuel ratio is it will bog out every now and then right? There are no long term effects that can't be fixed with a fuel controller later on correct?

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Thanks so the only problem if it has a lean air/fuel ratio is it will bog out every now and then right? There are no long term effects that can't be fixed with a fuel controller later on correct?
I'm running a velocity intake the one sold on ebay see pic...

If it's the same, you should get a fuel controller right away to prevent engine damage do to lean A/F ratio, causing lean pops, cut outs, rapid acceleration & extreme engine combustion temps that will burn up the motor...

too rich A/F ratio will cause the motor to bog down...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay and one more question what kind of riding do you do and has your filter been getting to dirty because of there not being a air filter box?

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Okay and one more question what kind of riding do you do and has your filter been getting to dirty because of there not being a air filter box?
Desert & Dunes and yes it gets dirty and have to clean often but not because of no air box...The air box protects from water and wet conditions from being sucked into the motor....

The velocity intake is for dry locations and make sure you use the outerware prefilter also...

The best fuel controller with download maps is Pro juice box or the PCIII for the Pro juice can hold up to ten maps and use the same maps as the PCIII, so you can get proven maps from members here to use....

or a 3 button controller like Dynatek f.i controller or Dobeck

i used the Dynatek F.I controller then upgraded to the Dynatek DRSP-1 controller with DFS ignition...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts