KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Stock cams stock shims and it runs starts perfect again. Are the cams possible too much? Wiseco kx cams read on another thread these are bolt it and go or is it the valve clearances maybe need to be diff then what it says? In going to take it to a shop and have then install and shim

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
Stock cams stock shims and it runs starts perfect again. Are the cams possible too much? Wiseco kx cams read on another thread these are bolt it and go or is it the valve clearances maybe need to be diff then what it says? In going to take it to a shop and have then install and shim
The wiseco KX cams are fine, there below a 0.10mm lobe lift, above 10mm you'll need heavy duty valve springs to prevent the valves floating above 8500 RPMs (plus)......It's the valve clearance that's was out of spec's with the KX cams...

You'll..need to invest in a good set of feeler gauges, digital calipers & a 9.48mm shim kit if you plan on adjusting valves in the future yourself....!!

Hotcam shim kit recommended...
(141 Shims) 9.48mm Valve Shim Kit YFZ450 450R 450ER Z400 LTR450 KFX400 KFX450 | eBay

Bike master feeler gauges recommended...BikeMaster 12-Blade Combination Tappet and Feeler Gauge Set 173146

Digital caliper 150mm / 6inch LCD Digital Electronic Gauge Steel Vernier Caliper Ruler Stainless | eBay

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you all again for the help its running great with stock cams and shims so I Deffinetly agree with you that its the clearances. I just bought a digital micrometer and I have a wiseco shim kit. My feeler gauges are a cheap set but im just not sure I was shimming them correctly. I am going to have my local shop try and install them and correct the clearances. Should head work come after cam install or should I do a high compression piston and stroker crank. Most of the wheelers I race with are built so I'd like to try n stay with them. It ran 4th most last season with just the big 3.

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
Thank you all again for the help its running great with stock cams and shims so I Deffinetly agree with you that its the clearances. I just bought a digital micrometer and I have a wiseco shim kit. My feeler gauges are a cheap set but im just not sure I was shimming them correctly. I am going to have my local shop try and install them and correct the clearances. Should head work come after cam install or should I do a high compression piston and stroker crank. Most of the wheelers I race with are built so I'd like to try n stay with them. It ran 4th most last season with just the big 3.
What kind of racing are you preparing for...???

Stroker motors are for GNCC/woodlands & dunes where bottem end torque is needed around 6500~8500 RPMs ...!

Big bore & high compression pistons with high lift cams are best for high revving motor MX/drag racing around 8500~11,000 RPMs...!

Here's the high lift cams most motor builders use... Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts

Head porting should be done for the cams your using for maximum flow on the flow bench...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ice racing mostly. Roadcourse style tracks. But I do ride it during the off season mostly pit riding

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So these cams say they are for a kx from 06-13. If that's the case is the exhaust cam the wrong one like ive seen stated in other posts. It says on the site they work for a 08-2010 kfx450r

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If they say it works it should be fine.

I would contact them directly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So these cams say they are for a kx from 06-13. If that's the case is the exhaust cam the wrong one like ive seen stated in other posts. It says on the site they work for a 08-2010 kfx450r
hey Graffam64 did you ever get these wiseco cams to work? I just purchased a set for my 08 but I haven’t foundanyone That has made them work. Was hoping you did??

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
I reinstalled the stock tensioner got the valve clearances at .13 and .14. Everything retimed back at 29 pins. Started kinda shitty again but started ran it for 10-15 shut it off and same thing. Poping thru exhaust and just about kills the battery trying to start it again. I keep a battery maintainer on it all the time. I'm at a loss. Thinking i may have to reinstall the stock cams just to kill my curiosity. Anything else i should try first?
Do a compression test...! 49~82psi usable

Test your fuel pressure 43 psi

21 - 29 of 29 Posts