KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I never tipped it on its side, so roll over should not be an issue, it reads around 4.7 volts when key is on.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
I got you confused with another thread...Oops.!!!

But it had to be tested, because the tip-sensor can shut off the pulse to the injector...

Here's the Ebay link... It works for me using Mozilla or IE9...

New Kawasaki OEM KFX450 KFX 450 450R Race Adjustable ECU | eBay

Does your dash lights work so you can you check for codes....???? http://www.frewracing.com/users/boys/Data/InfoFiles/kfx450r/dfidiagnostics.pdf?20120210201217

pics is the self diagnostic orange wire..ground it to frame and follow the instructions in this link...

http://www.frewracing.com/users/boys/Data/InfoFiles/kfx450r/dfidiagnostics.pdf?20120210201217

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I checked the ECU power source this is what I found: Terminal 13 (W) reads 12v with ignition off, its supposed to read 12v only when ignition is on! Terminal 29 (BR) reads 12v only when ignition is on, its supposed to read 12v when the ignition is either on or off. Do I check roll over while its hooked up to harness or just at disconnected harness? How about TPS? I tried sliding a paper clip in back of connector while it was connected to TPS with ignition on. All I got there was .008v at the Brown and Black wire. .010v at Yellow wire, and 4.99v at B wire. Nothing changed at all when I moved throttle. Any more ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
The TPS is bad, with the meter leads to + to yellow and - to brown on the TPS...

The TPS voltage is 0.58~0.62 @ close and 3.7~4.1 volts @ WOT....

The TPS was next on the check list to test...

Though it would have been cheaper if the ECU was bad... for a New ECU is $55.00 on Ebay for the TPS is about $130.00...

Check with I think they give forum members a discount being a site sponser

2009 Kawasaki KFX450R OEM Sensor Tps | MotoSport

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What about the power source voltages being all off? Is there any kind of resistance test to check the TPS? The weird thing about this all is that I drove the wheeler just before putting it in garage to fix starter, decompression spring, and FI light wires that were snipped by previous owner !! How could that TPS go bad just sitting there? It did have a miss pretty often but usually took off again with full power. I wish I had a parts wheeler bout now.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Chill... that's gotta happen first...

Purchase yourself a new ECU. Either the Procom from KB Motorsports or the Kawi Race ECU off ebay.

Plug that up and start from there. It really sounds like your injector circuit is shot in your ECU. Even the service manual states if it don't click after passing the click test off the battery the ECU is bad.

I forget if your test light flashed when hooked up and cranking the motor over?
And did you check resistance on the injector wires?
(Continuity will pass on one strand)

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
What about the power source voltages being all off? Is there any kind of resistance test to check the TPS? The weird thing about this all is that I drove the wheeler just before putting it in garage to fix starter, decompression spring, and FI light wires that were snipped by previous owner !! How could that TPS go bad just sitting there? It did have a miss pretty often but usually took off again with full power. I wish I had a parts wheeler bout now.
check the TPS blue + & br - wire should have 4.75~5.25 volts with the key on,

whats yours...???

If your reference voltage is lower than 4 volts your ECU is probably bad...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I will double check if test light flashes, also will check wires at TPS again. It doesnt click when hooked up to harness. Only when jumped to battery. Injector works too, its resistance is around 11.7 ohms. Also I have turned the key on with the air pressure sensor disconnected along with injector now I got a steady FI light on. How can I clear the codes to start from fresh? Does it clear codes as it recognizes sensors again? Plus I had tank off unhooked from connector, how that cause TPS reading to be off?

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
I will double check if test light flashes, also will check wires at TPS again. It doesnt click when hooked up to harness. Only when jumped to battery. Injector works too, its resistance is around 11.7 ohms. Also I have turned the key on with the air pressure sensor disconnected along with injector now I got a steady FI light on. How can I clear the codes to start from fresh? Does it clear codes as it recognizes sensors again? Plus I had tank off unhooked from connector, how that cause TPS reading to be off?
Having the tank off and pump disconnected shouldn't interfere with the TPS voltage unless there's a problem with your ECU...

That's why you need to check your reference voltage on the blue and brown TPS wire...4.75~5.25 DCV standard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, I will make sure to check over it all here shortly, waiting for garage to warm up, its about 10 below zero here in MN now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dust Devil, If I order that 55 dollar ECU, it says it doesnt come with cord? Is that for programming or what? What is the DVD for? Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Dust Devil, If I order that 55 dollar ECU, it says it doesnt come with cord? Is that for programming or what? What is the DVD for? Thanks a lot.
Yes it's the programmable race unit, but it's default settings are the same as the OEM your replacing...That what the CD is the programming software, the cord sells for around $300.00 if you can find it...

If you want to be able to adjust it from the default settings you'll need the...

signal converter 57001-1504 $192.00
Communication Cable (57001-1470) $128.00

Here...http://www.speedsupplies.com/cartdisplay.asp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Problem was the TPS, checked continuity on everything I could find back to computer, checked reference voltage on everything I could. Finally unplugged TPS about 10 times in a row and finally it clicked injector when cranking. There was some corrosion up in the connector that must of been causing it to stay out of fail safe mode when disconnected. Something so stupid I missed, at least now it runs and idles nice, adjusted idle bypass worked nice. Zip tied roll over sensor in place seemed loose on bracket. FI light on continuous, but sure enough only code is 11 for throttle position which makes sense since its unplugged. I guess it ended up being the most expensive part possible but it lives again anyhow. Ref. Voltage was at 4.98. TPS test was reading 4.26v at idle and 4.43 at WOT, so must be a faulty TPS. Thanks for all your guys help, without the support I would have given up long ago. Dielectric grease is now in every connection I could find!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey I'm having some serious issues with my injector it won't spit any gas at all and have tested everything not sure what to do. I put a new injector and still nothing also I have the stock ecu and also a new after market so I know it's not that. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Hey I'm having some serious issues with my injector it won't spit any gas at all and have tested everything not sure what to do. I put a new injector and still nothing also I have the stock ecu and also a new after market so I know it's not that. Anyone have any ideas??
Does your F.I light flash when trying to start your motor..?
If so...!
Check your vehicle down sensor it may have fallen off the bracket...

If still on the bracket, check it's output voltage...

If it check out fine, do a self diagnostic..see pics

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
fuel injector

Hey if anyone outthere can help me with any info would be really appreciated Ive been trying to solve my problem for 5 months now. The problem injector wont spray gas. second problem when cranking over fi light only flashed continuously so no codes for the diagnostic test. ive tested my roll over sensor many times, voltage to injector, tested the TPS. After all this still nothing so now i have a new injector, new wiring harness and a new ecu. Still nothing wont work. So I disconnected every sensor and tried one at a time. When the TPS was unplugged the buggy would finally spray gas and it would start right off. Great. But only about 3 or 4 seconds after running it just dies like you would shut it off.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hey if anyone outthere can help me with any info would be really appreciated Ive been trying to solve my problem for 5 months now. The problem injector wont spray gas. second problem when cranking over fi light only flashed continuously so no codes for the diagnostic test. ive tested my roll over sensor many times, voltage to injector, tested the TPS. After all this still nothing so now i have a new injector, new wiring harness and a new ecu. Still nothing wont work. So I disconnected every sensor and tried one at a time. When the TPS was unplugged the buggy would finally spray gas and it would start right off. Great. But only about 3 or 4 seconds after running it just dies like you would shut it off.
Still sounds like your roll over sensor get the block off from kms. Mine was doing that it would run for 3-4seconds then shut off.
Also check your battery cables to see if there tight.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Darren1~9...

Check your battery's voltage with the key off & key on, if it drops below 11.8 volts your ECU and sensors won't function properly due to the drop of there reference voltage of 4.75~5.25 volts...

Battery's full charge is 12.8 volts standard...

Did you test the output voltage of your vehicle down sensor...?

see pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes i know I was sure it was the roll over sensor i read so many review that say that it does the exact same as mine but i tested it through out and cant find anything woring with it?!?! I will have to check the power to the baterry again. thx

21 - 40 of 43 Posts