KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Ignition coil wiring question??

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Dust Devil 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me if the blue with white stripe wire ar the coil should be on the top or bottom connector?

#3 ·
I remember when I installed the coil I couldn't remember which wire went where. I recently watched a video on how to install a tether kill switch and noticed that in the video the wiring was opposite as mine as well. Just wanted to confirm on here, so thank you!

#4 ·
Note: there is 2-types of tethers kill switched...N/O "normally open" taps into the crack sensor + White wire to ground it (see picture)..N/C normally closed...Taps into the start/stop switch in the starter button assembly...

The ignition coil is bad because with the key ON there's 12v @ the ignition coil due to the battery...Pull the tether to ground the ignition coil...Can cause your ignition coil to heat up & melt...thus damaged needing to be replaced...

Attachments

#5 ·
So wiring the kill switch to the coil on fuel injected machines isn't the best way to do it? I just checked my wiring at the coil again, and see that the connectors on the Dynatek coil are side by side unlike an upper and lower connector on the stock coil. I believe I do in fact have the wiring correct. When looking at the coil from the right side of the machine the blue, with white stripe wire is the first one you see. The yellow wire is to the left of it. Do you know what would happen if these wires were crossed. I have had it like this since the summer, so hopefully I have it right.

#6 · (Edited)
The coil is good place with a CDI... not with a 12v battery...your shorting the coil &.with a battery your heating it up to melt..

Meaning... N/O Normally open the contacts separated while the motor is running & when the switch is tethered it closes the contacts together
N/C normally Close the contacts are closed while the motor is running & when the switch is tethered it opens the contacts apart

The most common Tether used is the Pro armor N/O Normally open Pro Armor Universal ATV Kill Switch / Tether Switch A040021 | eBay

Easy to tap it into the White + crank sensor wire & to frame ground... Follow the 4 stator & 2 crank sensor wires from the stator till you find a 4 wire connector & a 2 wire connector. the 2-wire connector is the crank sensor...tap into the white + wire with one of the kill switch wires & the other to frame ground..!

Note: The switch will "close" when the plastic lanyard clip is pulled or removed from the kill switch ... https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/pra/product-manuals/a040021-kill-switch.pdf?v=82748867

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks for all the great info! If I were to get a Pro Design kill switch i could wire it this way? Or should I do all of them like this? I was leaning towards Pro Design as they seem to be the most plentiful nowadays.
The Pro armor was the most commonly used among the members here

Pro design is great too. Make sure it's N/O normally open to wire into the 2v crank sensor pulse wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.