KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our riding trip to Danial Boone national forest is dead because Obama's stupid health care! I need a place that we can ride and camp with in 6 hours from central ohio. Haspin acres is to small, Hatfield McCoy is outragiously expensive now, Wayne national forest is to small and closed...
Anybody know of any good places to ride? Anyone been to the bad lands in Indiana? How does it compair to haspin? Any good riding in Michigan? We like big nasty hill climbs

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
you could try marionville trails in pa i dont know how far from central ohio probably bout 4 hours they well its a national forest so that out

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess we are going to Julian West Virginia to ride the little coal river trails. The camp site gave us a real good deal so including the annual riding pass its gonna be $65 a person for a 4 day trip. No to bad. I youtubed the trails... NICE! and tge Ivy branch trail head is 3 miles away... 75 miles of trails

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Go the extra mile and come down to Hickory, NC. We're racing Sunday at the "Airport" track. That track has been holding XC races for over 20 years now.

Myself, Duster, 360KFX, and some others will be there. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to but my dad is 62 years old, this is one of our times to hang out together. Trail riding is his thing... not to many guys his age ride a built KFX450 lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dieselmech first off you should post something since you have 666 posts right now

also, there's a few parks here in indiana worth checking out.. Badlands is nice for a few days but can really beat you up and is only worth staying at for 1 day really.. 2 at most. Haspin ( i have yet to be to) but have always heard good things, kind of a anything goes kind of place, camp where you want.
Interlake and redbird are good if you want some REALLY challenging/awesome terrain, both are old coal mines.

If you ever decide to come out to indiana to ride let me know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Badlands is easily rode in a few hours, it's actually smaller than Haspin if you consider the trails that all feed into Haspin Acres.

Haspin Acres' trails are in some places not rideable on a sport quad. The hills are getting way too torn up from all the big 4x4 trucks.

Redbird is ok, it's always muddy and for me, not worth the 3 hour drive one way.

I went to Little Coal River a few years ago. It was very nice. The trails there are quite tame compared to some of the other trailheads. Still a great place to ride.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We use haspin as a training ground... My group will ride up devils backbone all day long... Its close to home but to us its a place to spend 4-5 hours not an entire week. Little coal river trails sounds good and the Ivy branch trailhead is new and only 3 miles from where we are camping. Some trails there are rated higher than the black trails... I guess we will see what its like. The woman that runs the campsite seems very friendly. I think it will be nice.
Btw. I was with some girls that added some items to the bra tree at haspin

·
Registered
118 Posts
If we go to Haspin, it's usually to play on the tracks and run the XC track, assuming the jack asses haven't torn down the arrows.

When we rode Little Coal River, we stayed at Big Earl's Campground, Hannah, the owner, is extremely nice. She partied with us both nights we stayed there.

Most of the people down there are very nice. Just watch for DNR in the trees, we saw one climing up a tree into a hunting blind and lose his footing and fall. He only fell about 7 feet and was fine, it was rather amusing.

The reason for the DNR warning, they had reports of people riding the trails without permits, so they were out in force looking for the people that didn't have their HMT (WV) stickers on their helmets. One of our group didn't want to put the sticker on his helmet, so he used tape to tape it on. Well, after a few water crossings, it had washed away. When they saw him without it, they stopped our whole group with a truck and two razrs pinning us in. They asked a few questions and let us go. They did mention that they had arrested several riders on bikes and quads, and impounded their rides a few weeks earlier.

So, moral of the story, put the sticker on your helmet or you might get tackled off your quad by some DNR hiding in the bushes.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. We already made arrangements to get our riding passes at the camp grounds. Is Hannah good looking? Maybe we should camp there lol
my dad got popped by DNR for riding his dirtbike on a closed trail. He said there wasnt even a sign but he still got a $100 fine. We will be sure to mind out P's and Q's
thanks for the advice. good riding trips get ugly when you gotta deal with the fuzz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts