KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an HMF competition series with a FMF Mega bomb header. Does this combo work? I have a 2010. Looking for mostly low and mid end power. Going to be used for a mix of trail and track riding thanks:)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Get the hmf competition series with the fmf powerbomb, it's cheaper and will make awesome power. I'm not sure if the combo you mentioned will work or not

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should fit tho. A power core 4 fits a power bomb and that same pipe fits a mega bomb. I may have to try something new with the mega bomb/hmf set up

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't see why the mega bomb setup wouldn't work, although i feel that the powerbomb setup makes plenty of power for a MX track as well as for the trails. I've had mine on an MX track, before i upgraded to the FCI, 06 KX cams and 15/37 gearing, and it had plenty of grunt off the bottom end coming out of turns.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I can't speak from experience, but I can tell you what I think.

I think the FMF muffler has some to do with where the power is with the whole system but ain't all of it. It seems a little restricted though. It does better with the little ring out up on top.

I think I can agree that the HMF muffler would work better. I just do not have my finger 100% on why. But the HMF does flow more freely. I just can't exactly see why the FMF don't and is more of a quiet muffler.

As far as headers, I think the FMF Powerbomb moves the powerband down some. It don't have the punch the Jardine does. The delivery is slower and the strength is there sooner... it don't try to jump ahead of itself. It's good.

I would think the Megabomb would move the power down even more and you would for sure want an open muffler.

I have learned a lot more in recent months comparing Jardine, FMF and Dasa, etc... Where the header steps and what diameter it moves to when changes where the power is... and the muffler can either support, enhance or destroy that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
which HMF pipe are you all talking about, the black competition series? i was in the market for one myself, i just wasn't sure about the differences and which one to choose.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
bones1212, i believe was referring to this slip on, it's the competition series:

This is the performance series slip on and is what myself and 1bbarney are running with the FMF powerbomb:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The Competition series has 3 different db inserts and the performance series is a straight through design with almost no restriction. Idk myself what the baffling in the competition series is like. Either pipe would be a good choice IMO.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
The comp is straight through also.

I am not sure there is any difference other than the end cap and badge vs sticker?

My friend has the comp on his 400X. It is a 2" core with a 4 bolt euro end cap. Pretty polished part for looks and an internal turn down. Behind it is a recess for the spark arrestor which is the simple sink strainer style.... and I am thinking the other style quiet cores would drop in there as well.

Maybe the muffler and core are the same essentially. Maybe they are not?
Can one of you with the other make a comparison?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
There is a video on youtube of all 3 inserts and it happens to be on a KFX.

I found the full open high DB less annoying to tell the truth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i have a HMF Performance series slip on.I bought a
FMF powerbomb header pipe.What type of clamp did yall use to connect them, and what size of clamp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bones1212, i believe was referring to this slip on, it's the competition series:

This is the performance series slip on and is what myself and 1bbarney are running with the FMF powerbomb:
How did you fit the two pipes together? You had to weld them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts