KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in replacing the stock headlights in my 08 KFX450r with some HID's. I did it in my 10 RZRs and it was pretty simple. Bought a kit from DDM Tuning-easy install, etc. Has anyone done it to their kawi? As easy? What bulb do I need and do I need the additional harness relay?? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
well i did it on my kawi and it was simple, a lot of them say plug and play but i ended up with the wrong connectors but i didnt have time to wait so i just spliced them into my stock harness and then soldered them and then heat shrunk, they worked fine for about a year or so, then they started blinking and one would go out! so i got to talking with ononewheel and he installed the same type of kit with a set of relays for the hids and hasnt had a problem, its a very cheap and simple upgrade and well worth the extra light, i think my kit was 55$ ship for the HID's and then the relays were like 11 or 13$ shipped, i will be hooking them up as soon as they come in, they come with a male and female to connect inline with the ballast and than u get power direct from battery .

·
Registered
628 Posts
+1 on Burkemotopros I have 3 sets of his lights. Bought the 1st set 2 years ago and they still work great, even after some drunk fool ran into my quad and busted 1 headlight housing (HID still worked fine). Best investment you can make if your going to ride at night. They are a true plug n play setup. No cutting or splicing wires, a 5 year warranty, and an unbeatable price. I doubt you could buy the components for what he sells a complete kit for

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will get some on order in the am! Thanks. Are you guys running the hi/low beam option?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm not. The way it was wired in my kit though, you flip the switch to the hi position to turn the lights on. Wish I had recorded the ride I did at night a couple weeks ago, had zero problems on a tight twisty trail running through the trees. It's even better out on the dunes, lights up a big area in front of you.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
dude i wish this was posted before i got mine!! i was sooooo pissed when i got my kit the day before the dunes and i had to cut the stock light connectors off!

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
ya hid upgrade is the 1st thing i do on every vehical i get!car/truck/quad/bike!im gonna be putting a set on my lawn tracter next just for shits/giggles!!!!so much better at night!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
dude who mows their grass at night? hahaha

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
dude who mows their grass at night? hahaha
not for the grass!i got a plow 4 it so im always doin that late at night and the stock headlights are crappy as hell!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
haha oh man, u and ur toys! LOL but yes i agree HID's are great

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
ill post some pics im doin it saturday!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Will get some on order in the am! Thanks. Are you guys running the hi/low beam option?
My 700 has hi/lo beam setup (sorta, the lo beams are halogen, and hi is the HID) but the 450 lights don't have that option.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
it woudlnt be hard to add a set of lights and hook them into lo and then use the hi for an hid kit :p

·
Registered
628 Posts
No, it wouldn't be hard at all, but that kinda nullifies the plug-n-play concept. Besides, the whole idea of the HID's is MORE LIGHT :D. I really dont use the Hi/lo feature on the 700 anyway.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
to be honest i would like to add a big light, i tend to outride my lights A LOT at the dunes

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
the the hids end up being brighter than the high beems anyways!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
ya i want to add a 7 inch light on top of my hid's LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts