KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Dynatek coil showed up and I'm trying to install it. The instructions say to reuse the existing spark plug wire. I ended up ripping the wire off of the old coil trying to remove it. I figured it was just pressed on like the Dynatek and other ignition coils are. I guess the oe style is different. Does anyone know of a short wire with a similar boot that I could pick up at an auto parts store. I'm supposed to be going on a riding trip up state tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No..! It's not pressed on, It's screws on...

Mine came off the other end that attaches to the coil. That boot screws on? It sure dont look like it would. Definitely dont seem like it would have a good connection like that. I'll try it though. I figured it out went to Autozone and bought a single wire that was the same gauge as the stock wire. I cut the coil end boot off the new one and connected it to the wire. Covered the connector with electrical tape, and all is good. The instructions also say to connect the small yellow with red stripe wire to the connector on the coil marked with a red dot. My coil did was not labeled with a red dot anywhere. Seems about right as far as aftermarket parts go. Seems most plug and play or upgrades that are supposed to include everything you need end up turning into a much bigger job than anticipated. Keep figuring out a way to get them done though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I did the Jeep coil mod and I think Dynatech was similar. Here is the post that helped me: Help With ACCEL Coil and Spark Plug Boot
I wanted just the metal cap but they didn’t sell those so I bought a coil kit and used the parts off that and got her going.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it up and running, going riding later today and tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if I can a difference in how it runs. I'm thinking they made a change somewhere along the line. The connector on the Dynatek coil is just like a car. Has a post that a plug boot should be pressed on to. The oem coil does not. It has a little spike looking deal that appears to penetrate into the end of the wire for a connection. Doesn't look like a good design for optimal spark imo. There is no way the my stock spark plug wire would work with this coil without modification. This is why I posted this in the first place, at first i started to panic because I'm supposed to be going in a riding trip 24 hours later. Just used a butt connector to attach a standard push on wire boot to my stock wire and connect it to the new coil.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I got it up and running, going riding later today and tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if I can a difference in how it runs. I'm thinking they made a change somewhere along the line. The connector on the Dynatek coil is just like a car. Has a post that a plug boot should be pressed on to. The oem coil does not. It has a little spike looking deal that appears to penetrate into the end of the wire for a connection. Doesn't look like a good design for optimal spark imo. There is no way the my stock spark plug wire would work with this coil without modification. This is why I posted this in the first place, at first i started to panic because I'm supposed to be going in a riding trip 24 hours later. Just used a butt connector to attach a standard push on wire boot to my stock wire and connect it to the new coil.
[/QUOTE

or it was missing

it should have come attached to the dynatek wire

then just screwed into the spark plug boot...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't get any wires with the Dynatek coil. Just the coil, mounting plate, hardware and instructions. The instructions said to reuse the stock wire. I sent an email to Dynatek just to let them know. They want me to send them my vin# so they can look into it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I didn't get any wires with the Dynatek coil. Just the coil, mounting plate, hardware and instructions. The instructions said to reuse the stock wire. I sent an email to Dynatek just to let them know. They want me to send them my vin# so they can look into it.
That’s strange!
The two dynatek kits DCK-2? Both came with wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts