KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone knows of any LED bulbs that fit the stock headlight with little/no modifications. My brother's Commander 1000 XT can blind me on a sunny day with its 240w of future eye surgery so i'm hoping someone makes bulbs for the kfx, seeing that LED bulbs are EXTREMELY low current/voltage.

I added 4V super white LEDs as headlights to my Traxxas E-Revo for gits and shiggles last year and they lasted a cheap little battery 8 hours.

I'd like to stay away from HIDs for reliability's sake on long trail rides.

How many watts are the stock OEM brown bulbs?

I'm not against cutting off the connectors and soldering on another type to suit another bulb.

I'm hoping to add a 10 or 12" LED light bar to the handlebars by christmas too.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
They seem to be pretty close to the 30 watt oem halogens, but with less bright spots, much more even coverage. Paired with the 10" E-Series light bar from Rigid Industries, INSANE. I bought the spot/flood combo light pattern light bar. Wish I would have thought ahead and bought the amber bulbs and light bar. And maybe gone with the flood pattern. The SR series with the spector optics would have been a good choice too. Also lighter.

I had HIDs for years with no issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Awesome, thank you!

I just emailed that site asking which of the 2 H6M bulbs was more powerful/brighter. Can't wait to hear back! I'm hoping the H6M PX15d Base 15 Led bulb is brighter but knowing it's cheaper, i'm assuming not :(

Whoa, hit Post and your post appeared before mine lol.

Could you make me a reccomendation? starting fresh, no lighting mods yet, i'm a woods rider in Pa who loves night riding. i never need lighting far away like a dune rider and i will be buying a light bar for the handlebars soon. what would you run for headlights and what type(flood, spot) of light bar would you reccomend?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

I just emailed that site asking which of the 2 H6M bulbs was more powerful/brighter. Can't wait to hear back! I'm hoping the H6M PX15d Base 15 Led bulb is brighter but knowing it's cheaper, i'm assuming not :(

Could you make me a reccomendation? starting fresh, no lighting mods yet, i'm a woods rider in Pa who loves night riding. i never need lighting far away like a dune rider and i will be buying a light bar for the handlebars soon. what would you run for headlights and what type(flood, spot) of light bar would you reccomend?
Amber colored LEDs. Flood pattern light bar. The 6 or 10" single row with the Spector optics, or the e-series with the hybrid optics.

If money was no object, you could go with the dual lies in the stock headlight position, and the 10" e-series light bar. The 10" is at least 3 times brighter than hid. Hid over stock is great.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

The 15 led will not work, as the diameter is much larger than the hole it needs to pass through. Also, I think those are low power LEDs compared to the other.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Gimme $20 bucks, and your factory light harnesses, and I will send you my hid setup. I spliced my harness with the bulb and all connectors. Plug in and go, 6000k in color.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soon as i get paid i'll take you up on that.

Got an email back from Autoillumination:

HI Frank

The 10 watt is brighter...about 400-600 lumens.

yep, passing on that bulb

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think it's worth going amber over white? Looks like they almost match the color of the halogen bulbs. I'm starting to think about running the Eagle Eye bulbs as floods and the 6 or 10" white Rigid spot har. That's just over stock power with double the luminescent output

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Do you think it's worth going amber over white? Looks like they almost match the color of the halogen bulbs. I'm starting to think about running the Eagle Eye bulbs as floods and the 6 or 10" white Rigid spot har. That's just over stock power with double the luminescent output
Amber not a big deal, it does not reflect the dust in the air as much is all. I definitely would not go with the spot beam on the light bar attached to the handle bars, especially for woods riding. I have the spot flood combo, and can see the beam patterns for both. The flood reaches very far, the spot is insane distance, but focused too tightly. I wish I would have gone flood on my light bar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow! Flood beam it is. Amber is starting to sound good too.
Thanks guys*, much appreciated!

Grrr should've thrown my phone at oncoming traffic. thing pisses me off. I had so much trouble sending just one message

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been thinking it over and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna run the LED bulbs and the 10" bar to conserve a little on power. i'm about to pick up a pair of heated grips and thumb throttle and i don't wanna murder the batttery and stator.

Also Shoemaker PM'd me and i got the email alert but didn't see this until after, so everyone who thought i was being a dick... that's only half true.. lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know this is old but lookingn into led bulbs instead of hids. I saw the link posted for bulbs but they are 1156/1157 bulbs. Are they the same as the h6m or should I just go with an hid kit and call it a day

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If just switching to led bulbs in oem housings, you wont get enough light. Put duallys in that location, or go hid, or light bar on the handlebars. Those are the brightest options. Rigid duallys or baja dedigns squadron sports will fit nicely and light up the night better than hid will.

Hid will cost about $65
Off brand duallys $65
Rigid duallys $165
Rigid d2 duallys $320
Baja designs squadron sport $340
Or a light bar, there are several at different prices. You get what you pay for. Will have to buy a $40 mount too. Not all light bars will fit available mounts.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
35 watt by 2 hid will be much brighter than halogens. But draw a lot more wattage than what they claim. Mine were much higher. The lumens output is very high with hid, but it is not focused properly with the oem halogen reflectors. Still much better than oem halogens.

Leds cost more. But the light coverage is much better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the help im leaning toward an hid kit was just curious about the leds maybe I'll do a light bar in the future not worth it right now considering I don't ride at night much

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for the help im leaning toward an hid kit was just curious about the leds maybe I'll do a light bar in the future not worth it right now considering I don't ride at night much

I got a HID for sale that I had in my KFX. Eagle eye is the brand.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
OK, I have an LED question.

I have two Hella 500 baja lamps. I think they use H3 bulbs..... does anyone make a crazy bright led bulb for that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts