KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week i was at my regular riding spot when a dude came up with an 04 yfx with a curtis sparks exhaust, some type of metal intake with a k&n filter, and a modded cam... said the exhaust cam was moved one tooth wich matched up the same as the dirtbike, or something like that. i was pretty sure i had him on this one. i have raced yfz's before and never had problems walking away from him. he stompped me from the start all the way through. the only reason why i think he beat me is because i am still running my 13f/38r sprockets. i was in 5th gear before he was even in 3rd. idk, i couldnt tell really... that curtis sparks exhaust is loud. he was a pretty heavy dude... probably about the same as me. how did this happen? the only thing i could think was the gearing. my bike has been running pretty good... aside from a weird noise coming from my radiator area. i have a 15f sprocket, and my stock 14f. i decided to keep the 38r sprocket on instead of the 36r in case frosty's money ever decides to show up on my doorstep. i am thinking about trying the 15f/38r... does anyone know what it will do to my bike? the way it is running right now was perfect for the dunes, and i think that is the only way i will run it there from now on, but on this hard desert packed dirt, i am spinning out all the way to 5th. input would be greatly appreciated. and once again, i am keeping my 38r on.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Havent raced a yfz yet but they say they will smoke ya. Anyway i have noticed riding with people with a really loud exhaust"mines stock now" but i can hear my engine to shift that may be what happened to you! just a thought

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Def ur gearing. Especially if hes on a 04

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i stomped on a yfz at the dunes like i was godzilla in tokyo lol no big deal. that is why i was so quick to race him. i wasnt afraid. kkfxw what would you recommend for gearing?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ive always ran 14/36. Here recently i put a 15 up front with my 36 rear.. Afraid i was gonna lose power but it still pulls. I like it alot better. But i also only weigh 135. Idk. Ive always thought the kfx had awesome bottom.. The top end... Not so much. Def up your gearing. Since u have stage two cams u u should b fine. Either 15/38 or 14/36.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes gearing is hurting u but those year yfzs are the ones that actually run pretty good, with gearing it should be what and what. Again whats the chances a 04 yfz is still on its original engine and how many people do a rebuild without throwing in a few goodies, u never know.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ive seen some carbed yammerhammers that run hard with just a couple mods.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ya. It being an 04 means the bottom end has been tore into. Unless its a low hr machine. They had the oil problems

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have to say the YFZ is one of the fastest quads made with very little mods. Rider has a lot to do with winning a drag race also.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have raced another 04 yfz... Rider was decently experienced, and I moonwalked to the finish line against him. Hmmm... I'm gonna shoot for 15f/38r. I have never tried that combo before. Lets see what happens. And like I said, NOBODY could beat me in the dunes with the 13f on. But sand and paddles are completely different from hard dirt.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like the 13/38 for some Mideast tracks but the only time I ever drag raced with that gearing it was against a yellow trx 450 that the kid swore was dustsin canipe old ride. I jumped out to a pretty good lead then he just blew by me towards the finsh line. ran 2 more times with same result. I just recently tried 15/38 which really made the gears longer it was OK but I wasn't really happy on the terain I ride. would think it would be ideal for you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Without a doubt it gearing. Especially if you are drag racing on flat or mild incline. I still prefer the 14/39 for drag racing up sand mountain. I pull 55 mph up it. With the 13 I can only get 51 and that's in 5th gear vs 4th with the 14. the 15 is to tall for this steep of a climb on sand. The 15 feel a ton more powerful on flat and trail riding

1 - 14 of 14 Posts