KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 KFX450R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have owned this 2008 kfx450 for about a month now and have fixed many if not all of the problems from scouring this forum for answers. Now this is probably a simple question to answer. Got the bike from a good friend problem in this case is gas was sitting in the tank for probably close to 6 years or more. So fuel pump is not turning on. Drain the gas(varnish) I take the fuel pump out of the tank. Thing is a mess all the connections are just shot and ruined tried to pull the connectors off without breaking them and they just crumbled in my hands. So problem found not surprised it didnt work. Break it down bench test the pump just for good measures and it doesnt turn at all. So i see online they sell full assemblies then pumps with all hardware regulator wires and connectors. I was thinking i could save the money there and just get the pump and hardware and use my existing assembly? Now when i was taking all of this apart one connector broke on the rubber covered looking cylinder on the side of the pump there is no connector there looks like soldered in or such. And no kit i see includes that and no schematic i see can give me a part number. From what i read on here that is the fuel reserve sensor or fuel reserve relay from the words of Dust Devil. So my question is can i use that housing and is that cylinder on the side important or fixable. Any help is a big help thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
so i have owned this 2008 kfx450 for about a month now and have fixed many if not all of the problems from scouring this forum for answers. Now this is probably a simple question to answer. Got the bike from a good friend problem in this case is gas was sitting in the tank for probably close to 6 years or more. So fuel pump is not turning on. Drain the gas(varnish) I take the fuel pump out of the tank. Thing is a mess all the connections are just shot and ruined tried to pull the connectors off without breaking them and they just crumbled in my hands. So problem found not surprised it didnt work. Break it down bench test the pump just for good measures and it doesnt turn at all. So i see online they sell full assemblies then pumps with all hardware regulator wires and connectors. I was thinking i could save the money there and just get the pump and hardware and use my existing assembly? Now when i was taking all of this apart one connector broke on the rubber covered looking cylinder on the side of the pump there is no connector there looks like soldered in or such. And no kit i see includes that and no schematic i see can give me a part number. From what i read on here that is the fuel reserve sensor or fuel reserve relay from the words of Dust Devil. So my question is can i use that housing and is that cylinder on the side important or fixable. Any help is a big help thank you
If you can provide a picture of the broken connector your describing..?

You can use your assembly & just replace the pump, strainer & regulator as needed
Here's the fuel pumps on ebay kfx450r fuel pump | eBay

·
Registered
2008 KFX450R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes quantum has a kit I was gunna order but if that connector in the picture I attached I can’t find that piece to replace so I’m hoping it is something I can do without. (Red arrow pointing at connection that broke)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
Yes quantum has a kit I was gunna order but if that connector in the picture I attached I can’t find that piece to replace so I’m hoping it is something I can do without. (Red arrow pointing at connection that broke)
It looks like the low fuel sensor/ reserve switch....Here's a thread that will help you replacing the pump/strainer... How to clean fuel pump

Here's the best picture of the low fuel/reserve switch...circled in pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 KFX450R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that would be the piece I’m referencing so it won’t affect the functionality of the pump itself it’ll just always have the low fuel light on ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts