KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

First I apologise if there is similar thread already, however I can’t seem to find the answers I am looking for.

I am trying to setup my quad for mx/xc style of riding. More towards xc.

My setup:
machine: kfx450
suspension: ATV4Play arms
shocks: fox float evol (i believe gen1) (just revised) check the photo.

My issue is:
Can’t really get my setup right.. its a nightmare. The quad seems to be breaking loose the rear end way too easier than before. Even small corrections and I am sliding.

I currently have 85psi in the evol chamber and 35 in the main. I haven touched the rebound setting. Everything above that n the main chamber and the quad goes too high on my opinion.

As far as the ride goes its absorbing bumps okay I never seem to bottom-out, even though on hard braking the front really dives in.

I way at about 178-179 pounds.

If there is someone who has the same or similar setup I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
60 Posts
I raced X-C on a LTR-450 with these back in 2006-2008 but switched to Elka (which I currently race with on my KFX450) because I could never get them how I wanted them. Let's break down your email:

1) Big setup difference between MX and X-C but it sounds like your going X-C
2) You're focused on the front but your complaining about the back "breaking loose?" What rear shock are you running?
3) The pressure(s) you have are in the ball park. I weigh about the same and I ran 100/45 but used stock A-arms. Those A-arms I've never seen and not sure if they are for X-C. (they look more like a MX setup)

I'm not sure if any of this helped, but I would focus on the rear shock at this point. I would also research those A-arms to find out the "intended" application and reach out to Fox and talk to a Tech there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I raced X-C on a LTR-450 with these back in 2006-2008 but switched to Elka (which I currently race with on my KFX450) because I could never get them how I wanted them. Let's break down your email:

1) Big setup difference between MX and X-C but it sounds like your going X-C
2) You're focused on the front but your complaining about the back "breaking loose?" What rear shock are you running?
3) The pressure(s) you have are in the ball park. I weigh about the same and I ran 100/45 but used stock A-arms. Those A-arms I've never seen and not sure if they are for X-C. (they look more like a MX setup)

I'm not sure if any of this helped, but I would focus on the rear shock at this point. I would also research those A-arms to find out the "intended" application and reach out to Fox and talk to a Tech there.
Thanks for the reply,

Yes it will be more oriented towards x-c and I would like to try it on the track at some point too. I will not race, the build is purely for fun.

As for the back of the quad, I am running the stock shock at the moment (i just haven’t mounted the new one yet). I know its stiff and that could be the problem. However, I was talking about the front setup as that was the only change I’ve done and it changed the handling completely.

Since you are saying that you used higher pressure on these with stock arms, I presume i need to pump mine even more since these arms have more leverage.

I will do more tests and get back here with the result.

Thanks !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts