KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was doing donuts like a retard about a 2 months ago or so and flipped (fell on left side) my 08 KFX450r. So i immediatly turned it up right and then continued riding. the next day after riding for a few mins my FI/Temp light came on. so i shut it off and waited for the engine to cool it and for it to go off. Didnt think much of it... kept riding and then it happened again. so i did the same thing and when it went off i went straight home before it had a chance to come back on again. I tried it about a week later and the same thing happened so back into the garage it went. so i had no idea why i changed the oil, flushed the system and put in new anti-freeze thinking there could have been air in the system - that wasnt it :(
another week passed and i though "hey who knows, maybe it'll work" and i turned the key on, waited for the FI light to go off then hit the electric start and the FI/temp light came on immediatly and made a strange noise. i stopped tried it again, and the same thing so it wont even let my start it up now... i think i need new FI and possibly thermometer and/or water pump... can someone please help??

THANKS

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks @jjbart16.

but why would it not want to start up? im going to go out and play with it today.

Appreciate the image @Dust Devil

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
started it up tonight. turned the key and flipped kill switch to on then waited for the FI/temp light to off (like normal) and as soon as i hit the electric start button the light comes back on. so usually i let off and wait for it to go off before trying again... this time i just held the start for an extra second and had it fire up. once running the light went off (yes, i am confused). gave it about 2 mins to warm and took it out in the community maybe hitting a top speed of 50 or so only a few times. after about 7 mins though the light came back on... i was on my property so i killed it and let the fan run untill the light went off (appx 3 mins it took) then parked it back over at the garage. i took the hood off like you said but couldnt locate the over turn censor. ill upload a pic from my phone later to show you what i was looking at. does this help at all?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
started it up tonight. turned the key and flipped kill switch to on then waited for the FI/temp light to off (like normal) and as soon as i hit the electric start button the light comes back on. so usually i let off and wait for it to go off before trying again... this time i just held the start for an extra second and had it fire up. once running the light went off (yes, i am confused). gave it about 2 mins to warm and took it out in the community maybe hitting a top speed of 50 or so only a few times. after about 7 mins though the light came back on... i was on my property so i killed it and let the fan run untill the light went off (appx 3 mins it took) then parked it back over at the garage. i took the hood off like you said but couldnt locate the over turn censor. ill upload a pic from my phone later to show you what i was looking at. does this help at all?

thanks
If it starts and then your F.I light comes on....Water temp sensor probably bad as jjbart16 mentioned...!!!

Under your hood, front/ left centered, look for a black bag with a 4-prong diagnostic port & an orange wire....

ground the Orange wire to the frame and turn the key on, then count the blinks of your F.I light....http://www.frewracing.com/users/boys/Data/InfoFiles/kfx450r/dfidiagnostics.pdf?20120210192255

If you have trouble finding the orange wire...???

I'll post a picture to show you the area it would be found in...!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Here's the pics....

First two pic is the self diagnostic orange wire..

The third pic is my index finger on the vehicle-down sensor, (Front and centered) i have it zip-tied so I can't pull it off the bracket....

on the Front fender mounting bracket..!!!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Did you get the diagnostic code?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i already tried to ground the orange wire to different parts of the frame and i still only get one long blink.. HELP

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Does your fan come on when you turn your key on...????

You stated a noise have you located it yet...???

Do you have a digital multimeter...???

Can you check your reference voltage on the TPS blue wire...???

Blue + positive
Brown - negative

Should be 4.75~5.25 DCV...

Yellow/white stripe= Signal 0-5v

solid light blue= reference 0-5v

brown/black stripe= sensor ground

·
Registered
39 Posts
so you checked the sensor, nothing broken off or loose inside?

when your riding it does it seem like its running real lean?

could be the head gasket, but really shouldnt give it an issue to start, or light on right away.

check for leaks around the gasket or bubbling while its running for a little while.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fixed :p
the radiator was low. thats why i wasnt getting a code. oh and the cylanoid(?) for the starter i guess it was had a blown fuse. when i first started having problems i filled the resivor tank but didnt check the radiator. i feel stupid but thanks to everyone who helped.

·
Registered
39 Posts
haha no comment,

at least you got it going now

Remember Overflow, means absolute shit.
if you have any other issues, run engine ice, dropped my running temp noticably

1 - 13 of 13 Posts