KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought i had already posted a lil write up on this but cant seem to find it.. But here is a lil run down. I cant remember exactly what wires are needed off the top of my head on a stripped harness(stripping is optional)

1. Fcr carb and kx head boot(as far as i know any fcr from a 450 will work) i used the 06-08 kx450 carb.

2 procom ecu

-Installed carb and it sticks up a lil bit(into the tank) i heated it up and made a lil dent for clearance. #pic 1#

-the throttle cable "threads" are too wide to fit on fcr so i flattened two sides of it to make it work.. Pretty sure if you want you can buy a motion pro for a ltz400 that converts to a fcr. Or save $25 like i did. #pic 2#

-removal of fuel pump is needed. Then chop off the neck of it. Or get something made up like i did with a on/off valve.. Nelsons precision made the plate. I had the plate milled out to fit a 22mm bung(being made as one piece would be nice) if nelsons is willing to do it i can send them my plate back. 22mm petcocks are pretty common. I bought a golan. #pics 3-5#- Auto part Rim Wheel Flange Rotor
Product Metal Rim Auto part Wheel
Table Rim Metal Ceiling
Product Auto part Machine Wheel Metal

-that is all that is needed...Obviously Jetting is on you according to mods..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can go through the harness stuff if you need. Duster helped me quite a bit on it..

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Looks better under the tank than a pile of wires. i dont remember your build thread on this

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive had a few people ask me so maybe i didnt make one. Idk.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very helpful right up!!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some more pics of everything. On the fuel pump u just cut everything off thats sticking up....[ Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Automotive lighting
ATTACH]11647[/ATTACH]ATTACH]11646[/ATTACH]ATTACH]11645[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I wouldnt go back.. Mine runs better with a 43.5mm fcr than it did with a 39mm no loss.. And that no loss was a 3hp gain for the guy i sold it to compared to his bored out stock tb...

Its alot snappier. And most important.. RELIABLE! We already have the engine. Jus the efi bugs that slow you down..

This pic is of my harness is everything... Besides the battery wires and relay

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Harness..... Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Electronic device

Keep in mind yours may not be this "simple"..no electric start, radiator or lights..

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Harness..... View attachment 11649

Keep in mind yours may not be this "simple"..no electric start, radiator or lights..
That picture is like a pin-up girl :p

Haha. Compared to before. Ya..forsure. Now when i tare it down this winter for powder i wont have that worry "is it gonna run" after i put it back together. Haha. Its a simple as it gets. Now if i could figure out this whole battery situation

Since we havent been able to completely remove it, do you think a small 9v battery would power it? Do you have any idea of something small enough that i could fit it under my hood by my ecu or somethin

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Did you comment on the for sale site on facebook? But ya. I went 43.5 bc of my mods and i only was after the most peak hp. Factory bore would be fine ide think for a bike with stage two cams or something..

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The battery powers the ignition on these so you would need a 12v battery.
I'm not sure why Kawie made it like this. Cause it's not smart.
They should have done a cdi ignition system instead of the tpi which is what is on these
The ltr a cdi so that's how they get away with the capiciter

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
They should have done a cdi ignition system instead of the tpi which is what is on these
You need the battery to power the fan, starter & fuel pump, thus a charging system of a stator & regulator is needed, So the DFI system requirements is based off the chosen battery system..

But they could've used a similar setup as the KX450 CDI & capacitor power source though, if wasn't for the electric starter, fan & fuel pump...??

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
I don't mind the battery. I have a lithium that weighs nothing, and I am kinda old and lazy and wouldn't want to give up my estart anyways :)

There's nothing much to gain there. The kicker kit weighs more than my battery.

It does however make me a little mad that it won't run without a battery for some reason (mine is still EFI). So I won't buy a kicker kit. It probably wouldn't kick start if the battery went bad anyways.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You need the battery to power the fan, starter & fuel pump, thus a charging system of a stator & regulator is needed, So the DFI system requirements is based off the chosen battery system..

But they could've used a similar setup as the KX450 CDI & capacitor power source though, if wasn't for the electric starter, fan & fuel pump...??
The ignition system is a breakerless type it's not like the cdi where it grounds to the frame. And the kxs use fuel pumps too. When you kick it it puts enough voltage to run the pump
The primary side of the coil doesn't ground to the frame. It runs back to the ecu to get grounded

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took a dead battery out of my other kfx that was efi and put it in my carbed bike. It started right up. So it obviously doesnt take much to power it..

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

How would i do that? I dont have a fan, estart or fuel pump..

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts

How would i do that? I dont have a fan, estart or fuel pump..
Look into the 2012 KX450F electrical system...ECU, flywheel & stator...

I know you'll need to machine the flywheel to fit the crank for the kx crank is smaller in diameter & positioning of the Rotor's TDC timing in relation to the crank sensor/pickup coil..& the crank sensor is positioned in the correct spot for it's in a different location than the KFX crank sensor... ...

Reference...Save 20% on 2012 OEM Kawasaki Dirt Bike & Pit Bike Parts | MotoSport

1 - 20 of 42 Posts