KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2014 KFX 450. Got it home an the fan isn't coming on. It apparently has a aftermarket ECU and a Ethena top end. Any suggestions on where to start?

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
Just bought a 2014 KFX 450. Got it home an the fan isn't coming on. It apparently has a aftermarket ECU and a Ethena top end. Any suggestions on where to start?
Welcome to the Forum...!!!

Have you checked the fan relay & 10 amp fuse...?

If the fuse & relay check good, Can you jumper it to the battery, to see if the fan is working..?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that the 10 amp fuse was bad but the fan still didn't come on. I unplugged the temperature sensor an the fan kicked on. Does that mean that the temperature sensor is bad?

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
I found that the 10 amp fuse was bad but the fan still didn't come on. I unplugged the temperature sensor an the fan kicked on. Does that mean that the temperature sensor is bad?
Maybe?

The Fan relay turns ON @ 212℉ & turns off @ 194℉. Does your motor get hot enough for the fan to come ON in the first place..?

You can test your water temp to make sure? (see pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the information. When I changed the 10 amp fuse I pushed it outside to let it run. It ran for probably 5 minutes an I noticed the red temperature light was on so I turned it off. I just assumed that the fan should have came on by then. I thought I noticed the temp light being dim when I first started it then it got brighter as it set there at idle.

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
I did forget to mention that when we first realized the fan wasn't working it was hot enough that the radiator was bubbling over into the over flow.
Is your athena the big bore 100mm size?

What are all the upgrades you have?... Intake, exhaust...???

Do you have a OEM ECU with a fuel controller or Procom ECU?

Have you changed the radiator fluid recently? If yes, did you burp the air out of the cooling system?

Did you test the water temp sensor?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are not sure of the size of the athena.. It does have full yosh exhaust, a yosh ECU, air box mod and we think stage 2 cams. But truthful not sure. The guy we bought it from was not the original owner that did all the work to the quad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine will start back up when it is hot. It will just crank slow but has always fired. I am going to try installing a new temp sensor an hopefully it fixes the problem with the fan not coming on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the temperature sensor and it fixed the fan problem. I did notice that the red temperature light will come on when the engine is cold an stays on. Is this something I should worry about? I left the quad run for awhile and the fan with come on an off so the fan seems to be working properly. Just not sure why the red light is staying on.

·
Super Moderator
10,258 Posts
I replaced the temperature sensor and it fixed the fan problem. I did notice that the red temperature light will come on when the engine is cold an stays on. Is this something I should worry about? I left the quad run for awhile and the fan with come on an off so the fan seems to be working properly. Just not sure why the red light is staying on.
Yes there might be an DFI error...

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts