KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

HELP, I need some input.. This past weekend I was out riding, and I got to a long stretch on the road where I was able to open the quad up.. In 5th gear with about half throttle left, this loud clanking started. I shifted down and every gear had the same clanking noise except 3rd.

I pulled over to the side, my friend stopped because they heard it as well. Shut it off and got off to make sure nothing was obviously wrong.. I put it in neutral and started it.. as I pushed the starter, it jetted backwards like it was stuck in reverse.. I had to drive it home in 3rd gear.

My chain is kind of old, and since our last offroad trip I washed the quad and it sat for a couple weeks. I oiled the chain, let the quad cool down and then attempted a test ride. It acted fine. On the way home, tried to open it up in 5th and it started all over again!

Now since this happened, I purchased a new chain, the sprocket is in good condition still, changed the oil and noticed some tiny metal flecks (thought that is from the clutch and is somewhat normal?) but it almost looked bronze colored..

Anyone have this problem? It's running fine, just getting tossed out of sequence it seems once I hit a certain speed.. Should the chain remedy this? Any input would be great!!

Thank you =]

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Personally never heard of this and those metal flakes are probably not clutch related. First thing I would do is make sure that nothing caught your reverse gear cable and check its adjustment. If that checks out and it still does this I would go ahead and start cussing because I'm pretty sure your gonna need some transmission work. Something is out of sync in there, I'm hoping your reverse cable is just hung up or not adjusted properly because transmission work is either expensive, or a pain to do yourself.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unless you have a new or freshly rebuilt engine you really don't see many metal flakes. A couple here and there, but not usually accompanied by a clanking issue. So in your situation I would say no, not normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, that's really not what I wanted to hear.. I was just talking to a friend and told them that the flecks in the oil actually looked brassy colored. They weren't big, just like a shimmery goldish dusting. Kinda odd..

It does seem like it's not synchronizing correctly. No rebuild, everything has been stock.. The last oil change was a month ago (let me rephrase, the last 12 oil changes) because water got into the engine. Using ester synthetic oil..nothing looks to be clogged in the oil filter.

I will check the reverse cable tomorrow, that is one thing I did have to fix when I bought the quad. And honestly, this weekend was the first time I decided to go out and see how fast it can go..

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
If it looks like gold dust in suspension in the oil, I have seen that before and it freaked me out. Turned out to be just the color of the clutch frictions wearing in.

As far as the noise, it could be your chain slapping the swinger skid. Get in an open place to ride and look when the noise starts.

And definately check your reverse cable. Sounds like it might be stuck. Stop and see if you can shift down into reverse without pushing the lever. Then see if the lever snaps when you shift back up into first.

Hopefully this is all a whole lot of nothing.

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
++1 in checking the reverse cable and the chain slapping the swing-arm as Duster pointed out...

I think the reverse lock out is made of brass, not sure though...

If the cable and the chain slack is good and the problem persist, then check the bushing part# 92139b see picture circled in blue...

It holds the fifth counter gear on the output/secondary shaft...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Never thought about the chain slapping, but I'm used to hearing that mine makes that noise all the time, +1 on that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have opened my quad up all the way and i have never had the problem have you changed the oil or oil filter lately. If no change it and if it still continues it could be your valueless ticking. A another possibility is your gears are all worn out. \
Hope i could help

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts

HELP, I need some input.. This past weekend I was out riding, and I got to a long stretch on the road where I was able to open the quad up.. In 5th gear with about half throttle left, this loud clanking started. I shifted down and every gear had the same clanking noise except 3rd.

I pulled over to the side, my friend stopped because they heard it as well. Shut it off and got off to make sure nothing was obviously wrong.. I put it in neutral and started it.. as I pushed the starter, it jetted backwards like it was stuck in reverse.. I had to drive it home in 3rd gear.

My chain is kind of old, and since our last offroad trip I washed the quad and it sat for a couple weeks. I oiled the chain, let the quad cool down and then attempted a test ride. It acted fine. On the way home, tried to open it up in 5th and it started all over again!

Now since this happened, I purchased a new chain, the sprocket is in good condition still, changed the oil and noticed some tiny metal flecks (thought that is from the clutch and is somewhat normal?) but it almost looked bronze colored..

Anyone have this problem? It's running fine, just getting tossed out of sequence it seems once I hit a certain speed.. Should the chain remedy this? Any input would be great!!

Thank you =]

If the 5 gear is popping out of sequence your shift fork could be bent....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts