KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i now know what and how efi controlers work but my question is it only kinda overrides the stock ecu right so is there a way to get ride of that stock ecu which also has that really messd up rev limiter in it i know motoworks has the ecu bypass for the ltr that removes the stock ecu and puts the bypass in it place and runs all the stuff off their controller i think idk anyone fill me in here cuz i dont like a revlimiter at like 9,800 altho they say 10,000 it seams to start at around 9,800 either way people help me lol

and if u know any other manufactures that would make a ecu bypass or w/e let me know thanx

Cody

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The Power Commanders have a rev-xtend function. How much you can extend it or how well it works, I am not sure. I have not played with it enough. I have to double check to see if the Software that comes with teh KFX even supports that function.

PDR

·
Registered
15 Posts
PowerCommander, Yosh PIM, Motoworks & Dobek all intercept the stock ECU signal and add or subtract from the stock fuel settings. They do not by-pass the stock ECU.

I believe the Genuine Kawasaki racing ECU ($1000) is the only one available that replaces the stock (unadajustable) ECU with a fully programable unit. The only thing I have not been able to work out is if the racing ECU allows for ignition programing.

Linc

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx any info is good and if anyone can find out more bou tthis elusive kawisaki ecu/efi controler let me know cuz i cant find nuthin really bout it and if u can see bout the other controllers and what all they can do so i coul dcompare them and see if that kawi is truely worth $1000

·
Registered
67 Posts
The DynoJet power commander doesnt have much to do with the ecu. It reads Throttle Positiona and the Fuel Injector setting and changes them according to your MAP that you have programmed. Once you change the MAPs, the device changes the voltage to the fuel injector which increases and decreases fuel according to what throttle position you are in.

This wont have anything to do with the ignition but someone said that sometime there will be one for the KFX. I called up DynoJet cause im looking into getting a car/atv dyno and I happened to ask dynotek if they had anything for the ignition and said they just got a kfx450 in to test the ignition on and wont see anything till next year. I hope thats not true.

Changing timing, not only the rev limit, actually can help in gaining HP/torque by helping the fuel burn rate. If its programmed for 91 octane now, im saying I want to progrm if for 93 or a little more and advance the timing.

I tune cars/trucks for a living and kind of find it odd that most programming for atv's is just fuel, and not spark changes like we do for cars.

Does anyone know if someone is comming out with a device for ignition?

Jeff

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea see thats pretty much what im lookn for to get ride of that stock rpm limit at 10,500 and to set it up to run 93 octane and change the timing cuz it'll really get more power out with everything else on it so yea if anyone can find info it would so apprciatd by everyone !!!!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The DynoJet power commander doesnt have much to do with the ecu. It reads Throttle Positiona and the Fuel Injector setting and changes them according to your MAP that you have programmed. Once you change the MAPs, the device changes the voltage to the fuel injector which increases and decreases fuel according to what throttle position you are in.

This wont have anything to do with the ignition but someone said that sometime there will be one for the KFX. I called up DynoJet cause im looking into getting a car/atv dyno and I happened to ask dynotek if they had anything for the ignition and said they just got a kfx450 in to test the ignition on and wont see anything till next year. I hope thats not true.

Changing timing, not only the rev limit, actually can help in gaining HP/torque by helping the fuel burn rate. If its programmed for 91 octane now, im saying I want to progrm if for 93 or a little more and advance the timing.

I tune cars/trucks for a living and kind of find it odd that most programming for atv's is just fuel, and not spark changes like we do for cars.

Does anyone know if someone is comming out with a device for ignition?

Jeff[/b]
Perfectly true. But to put it into perspective, the EFI on the quads is still open loop and primitive to the efi in current automobiles. Its going to take some time to catch up on the technology. We will get there, hopefully sooner than later.

The way I look at it for now, the Power Commander allows you to properly "jet " your EFI as you would jet a carb.

PDR

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
A little bird told me that Power Commander will be releasing a box that connects with the Power commander that will let you adjust timming. Look for it to be relieased later this year.

FUELATV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Perfectly true. But to put it into perspective, the EFI on the quads is still closed loop and primitive to the efi in current automobiles. Its going to take some time to catch up on the technology. We will get there, hopefully sooner than later.

The way I look at it for now, the Power Commander allows you to properly "jet " your EFI as you would jet a carb.

PDR[/b]
OK, now I'm confused. I thought that ATVs were all open loop? Doesn't a closed loop design have an O2 sensor in the pipe?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
OK, now I'm confused. I thought that ATVs were all open loop? Doesn't a closed loop design have an O2 sensor in the pipe?[/b]

Your right, I flipped them without paying attention. I corrected it. My mistake.

PDR

·
Registered
588 Posts
A little bird told me that Power Commander will be releasing a box that connects with the Power commander that will let you adjust timming. Look for it to be relieased later this year.
FUELATV[/b]
:banana: :first:

·
Registered
24 Posts
FUELATV[/b]
What does this exactly do? Im a huge n00b with this EFI stuff, im always asking questions haha

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Yeah I saw the ignition box mentioned as well for almost the same price as the powercommander that put the whole package around $600 if that holds true. Which makes the Kawi offering not look as bad.

Who knows I guess we will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I saw the ignition box mentioned as well for almost the same price as the powercommander that put the whole package around $600 if that holds true. Which makes the Kawi offering not look as bad.

Who knows I guess we will just have to wait and see.[/b]
Exactly my thoughts.......I've always thought the Kawi offering would be a better solution ever since I realised (IMO) that the ignition is the real choke point in this motor.

It's a given that a fully programmable replacement ECU will be better than a ECU interceptor. At the same time we dont know what the Kawi programmable unit does.

linc

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Just a bump here to see if anyone has seen/heard any additional information on the Kawasaki programmable unit?

It is still in the running as a possible buy for me. Just wish someone could give me some more information on it.

Thanks,
RD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts