KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

Cmf aluminum intake any good?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  prityboy69 
#1 ·
whats up people,
I came across cmf and make a intake for a a decent price and I know everybody recommends fci but its a little on the high side. just wanted to know your guys thoughts.

#3 ·
Any aftermarket intake tube beats the stock.

#5 ·
I think either nkeen or ononewheel one hade one of these b4 they got their fci and told me they liked it and only gained a little on top when changing to the fci. it actually has a larger port than the fci but but it has sharp edges which causes turbulence. fore me the big plus is that it has a lid. just make sure when buying that you get the cfm with the complete intake not just the box because they have them listed on ebay as the same thing just one is cheaper.

#6 ·
The problem we had with the CFM on my buddies quad is the aluminum intake gets hot, his intake air temp sensor was giving him problems and would not let the engine start once it was fully warmed up. We moved the sensor (taped it to the frame rail) and this seems to have fixed his hot start problem. The intake makes good power but hotstarting is (at least for his) a problem

#8 ·
Yes, a down side to aluminum is that it is indeed a heat sink...

When we think of aluminum I think we think of foils and those reflective film pieces used to heat shield plastic and so forth and for get all about the properties just as a sheet of metal.

Aluminum transfers heat big time, so the exhaust heat passes heat into the air box.

I still like the CFM... it just took me thinking about PC heat sinks and sitting down with a buddy of mine that does heating and air for it to all really sink in for me. So the material choice could have been better.

I still can't knock it any either though. I would run one. But I would like to see them revamp and update it some.

#9 ·
Aluminium transfers heat fast but also dissipates heat fast so with the constant air flowing threw it I would say it stays pretty cool but if you are worried about it some auto sound deadening heat mat like hush mat or dyna mat and stick it to the exhaust side of the air box then problem solved.

#10 ·
....or just make ur own out of pvc.. Haha. If u wanna go cheap just do the ltr tube or if u have the money get the fci.. Im not one to "rig" or "make things work". I like a clean solid look. So that sticky tar type dyna matt would never be anywhere on my bike.. Haha

But really if ur lookin for cheap jus get a ltr tube. Its probably right with the fci when it comes to performance

#11 · (Edited)
it has a chrome backing and besides its only on the exhaust side where nobody will see it. but I guess everybody should drive a Lamborghini or just walk. oh and by the way the ltr tube was the original "rig" people trying to make flanges to get it to work and still had leaking issues but I can see where a little patch of Dynamat or some Lizard skin would be a huge inconvenience. Eastwood Company: Search Results for lizard skin*inproducts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.