KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switch over to an aftermarket perch and for obvious reasons the clutch wire doesn't connect to anything. So my 2 questions are.. 1, is this wire needed? 2, I realized this weekend my quad won't start unless it's in nuetral, think it's related? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yes, it's related. It's a safety switch on the stocker. This switch allows you to start in any gear if the clutch is pulled.

It's been a while bit I think I spliced those wires together. I later eliminated the 2 start control relays all together. If you search around here I probably have posts about both bypass optiins.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's related. It's a safety switch on the stocker. This switch allows you to start in any gear if the clutch is pulled.

It's been a while bit I think I spliced those wires together. I later eliminated the 2 start control relays all together. If you search around here I probably have posts about both bypass optiins.
Thanks! I just splice the 2 cables together and connected it back. I took the starter bottom piece a part last night and started getting a clicking noise when trying to start her up. Come to find out by wiggling the wires it would start. If it's no 1 thing it's another. By the end of his year I would have probably rebuild this damn thing from scratch lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oddly enough when I plugged in the connector spliced from the clutch I now can't put the quad in first, it just gives me a clicking noise. Swapped relays and same thing. Checked fuses and all are good. It clicks from the 30 amp fuse above the radiator. Removed the clutch cable I spliced and does same thing. Now I'm confused.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now mu quad starts but when in gear holding down the clutch it jerks forward instead of allowing the clutch to engage.. yay

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yeah it's been so long I can't remember. I usually tend to leave everything stock until it starts to give problems. Then I eliminate it instead of replacing. First it was the clutch switch. Middle of a race, stalled out... nothing. After a bit of fiddling I figured it out, put in neutral, fired up and got going. but ruined my day. Later on, same thing again, was the relay because switch was bypassed. Later on same thing again but was other relay. All that mess is gone now.

Sounds like you now have a clutch cable adjustment issue if I am understanding correctly?

Pulls forward with starter with clutch pulled because it's not disengaging?
If so, tighten up the cable slack at the perch so the lever can lift the pressure plate.

Sometimes aftermarket perches and lever sets have a different pull ratio that causes this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch cables hasn't been touched, I used the quad laast sunday with no hickups. I wanted to clean the on/off/light switch and ever since I took that apart at first the quad would only make a clicking noise not allowing it into gear and now it allows me into gear but when I start it with the handle in, while in gear it will only jerk forward. Ughhhhhh

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Stand beside the left side of the quad.

Pull the lever and watch the clutch release arm on the engine. See how far you pull the lever before it moves.

The cable may have vibrated out of adjustment. If it hasn't there may be a clutch issue. Sometime's a plate will warp or an ear will snap off a friction and wedge somewhere. I have also seen basket fingers notch bad enough the clutch pack traps and grabs. Hopefully just simple cable stretch or adjustment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Pull the lever and watch the clutch release arm on the engine. See how far you pull the lever before it moves.

The cable may have vibrated out of adjustment. If it hasn't there may be a clutch issue. Sometime's a plate will warp or an ear will snap off a friction and wedge somewhere. I have also seen basket fingers notch bad enough the clutch pack traps and grabs. Hopefully just simple cable stretch or adjustment.

I hope your wrong here for once lol. I just installed a barand new OEM clutch and backet 2 weeks ago, hence my test ride last sunday which seemed to work great. I almost have a feeling that the switch is bad after I took it apart but after taking a look again it seems to be nice and clean and fine. I tightened the clutch lever late last night but will test it today. Just in case that might be an issue where I'm not pulling in the clutch enough. This quad has surely kept me on my toes lol

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
IMO an electrical switch will not make your quad do what you are describing. It is something mechanical. I agree with Duster when he says an aftermarket perch has a different pull to it. I would fiddle with cable adjustments before I would fret about electronics. Clutch plates are in goodnworking order without notches in the fingers?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

IMO an electrical switch will not make your quad do what you are describing. It is something mechanical. I agree with Duster when he says an aftermarket perch has a different pull to it. I would fiddle with cable adjustments before I would fret about electronics. Clutch plates are in goodnworking order without notches in the fingers?

Correct clutch plates have maybe 2 hours or riding on it, entire clutch literally is brand new. I bought the ASV clutch and break perch and lever 2 months ago and a new clutch cables as well (I did some odd/emd work while waiting gfor the clutch parts last month. All seemed to work well when playing arounb but the big test was last sunday while I was riding it around. Thing was a beast and had no issues. I hadn't riden it in a month due to the clutch parts I was waiting for. At that point of testing last week I had removed the clutch cable, the ones I ended up putting back in and splicing the cables together because last sunday I realized I couldn't start the quad while in gear. Now that the cables is in and spiced it seems like it would start in gear but even with the clutch fully engaged it jerks forward. I'm gonna give it till 11am to test it out in my driveway. Unfortunately I am limited to test space at home

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The clutch cable was too loose?! Well, after tighting it last night it seemed to have done the job. Strange though but I guess it may make sense. My cables needs adjusting in the motor end, when I have them install the power commander in goingto have them fix the cables as well. I only got to test it by starting it in first and driving off. Never got to 2nd to test.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jerry,

Sounds like you have the problem sorted with the clutch. You may have pull on your clutch but if it's out of adjustment with the cable you were probably not getting enough pull to full disengage the clutch. It sounds like Duster nailed that one on the head. Stick with it and things will be running nicely in no time!

Tony

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jerry,

Sounds like you have the problem sorted with the clutch. You may have pull on your clutch but if it's out of adjustment with the cable you were probably not getting enough pull to full disengage the clutch. It sounds like Duster nailed that one on the head. Stick with it and things will be running nicely in no time!

Tony
So far so good, ill have it adjusted properly at the engine side when I drop it off to have the power commander installed. Thanks everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts