KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm glad to say my winter project is finally done. After being apart for 9 months now, I was so glad to take it for a ride today. Ever since coops11kfx440 painted his motor, I loved how it turned out and wanted to do it to mine. So before I say anymore, I would like to give a huge thanks to coops11kfx440 for sharing his tips and tricks with me so my paint job wouldn't look like shi*. BTW, anyone who is interested in doing this to their motor, feel free to ask me or coops for some pointers.

First, I had to prep the motor obviously and after using a hand brush for about 5 mins, it barely did any damage so I picked up a brass wire brush for my drill which worked better on the aluminum rather than the steel brush. I kept all the covers on during this process but afterwards I used a scotchbrite pad on them.

Once the motor surface was clean and ready for masking, I thought that regular painters tape or duck tape would work fine then be able to trace with a razor blade but was I wayyy wrong, both did not stick on at all. So what I had to do was find something that stuck well and would easily trace out with a razor blade and I found that metal HVAC tape worked awesome. The tape contours to any shape especially for the hole where the reverse cable goes. On one of the pics you can see the clutch side complete.

Once ready for paint, I used duplicolor prep spray, ceramic engine paint, and ceramic clear. I strongly recommend using the prep spray even if you are sure the surface is clean because I was amazed to see the puddle of grease and wax it removed before paint. I'm not going to go in depth with how long to wait between coats and whatnot but for anyone who is interested, pm me or coops.

After everything was dry and reassembled, I could not believe how it turned out. One big plus about the motor being painted it that I don't have to see the oxidized aluminum and nothing at all sticks to it meaning if you are going to wash your machine, the pressure of a garden hose will clean the engine spotless.

Sorry if some things don't make too much sense or if there are some errors (trying to have this typed while I'm on a plane).

Threw in 1 or 2 pics of the bike when I first got it so you can see what it looked like before any upgrades.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prep Work 1:

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prep Work 2:

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Painted:::

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assembled:

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished Product:

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jacob11531,

That turned out gorgeous my friend!! Thanks for the props, I just offered some tips that I've learned over the years. You are the one who put in the work and got rewarded with a great looking finished piece!!! The color you used on the valve cover and stator cover looks GREAT in combination with the other colors, nicely done on picking those!!!

Congrats on a great looking quad Jacob, you did some really nice work!!

Tony

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts