KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been making case savers for a few years for the yfm350 warrior and have went from making them by hand to a cnc router. now ive got a 450kfx and grenaded a chain and got the case with no warning. so ive been working on the 450 design a few months and here is what ive come up with. let me know what you guys think. keep in mind i didnt deburr the plastic and that was a first try blemished one.

here is the one i make for the 350

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Wow those are pretty nice

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'm hoping to have a final design ready before long. My goal is to make case savers as a business. And I don't want to just punch them out and sell them. I want to make them as the best case savers you can buy and the last one you ever buy. I hate changing cases as much as everyone does and I've broken quite a few. So I decided to solve the problems of the other case savers out there to improve them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Those are pretty nice... I got a Moose poly and its the best one i ever had.

What i like bout yours is that you cover the sprocket, Make your final product to fit a 15T sprocket and it would make it much better, I always gotta grind them down to fit a 15T, most ppl with a kfx have a 15T F sprocket.

Cant wait to see the final product, i might just jump ships!!!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
i havent bought a moose so if your turns out ill keep these in mind

·
Registered
82 Posts
They remind me of the glann innovation case savers. Just because they protect the shift shaft and everything in that area. Looks good though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Id buy one! Ive been lookin at the moose case saver. I had to do a case set for another reason and it sucks!

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yeah, those look pretty good.

What UPP/Moose did was turn an engine on it's side and pour or clay it for a mold. Then they made a production mold to pour or inject.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is true, I don't like the upp or moose because it doesn't protect the gear sensor or shifter arm. The way I design these is there is a hour glass shape that pulls the chain from the sprocket and guides it as it ejects it out the rear. It's more prominent in the 350 case saver.

When I broke my case it only broke the case because it wadded up between the sprocket and swing arm and shoved the shift arm through the bottom of the case. The way I designed these the chain has no option but to be ejected out the rear of the case saver.

Also the moose racing one is a polypropylene plastic which is a soft plastic and tends to gram the chain not deflect or guide. The material I use is UHMW and is too hard to injection mold and is naturally impact resistant and abrasion activated self lubricating. That's what makes these better then anything else out there.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
The epic fail of regular case savers on the KFX is that the impact load is on the two mount bolts... and the way the case is made, an impact will bust the case at the bolts... and most end too soon at the bottom so they will also run a risk of being able to wad up the chain in the swinger pivot.

Just make sure that what ever you do the case saver is distributing any forward strike load it might get against other parts of the engine rather than the bolts. This is the main reason the UPP/Moose one has worked for people who have broken or derailed a chain. The slap force is distributed against the stator cover and so forth and a tiny amount is probably absorbed by the material itself.

Main things... distribute load, and do a good job of fitting tight and guiding so the chain will just comply as it goes through.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You have an idea of how much these will cost? They sound badass!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts