KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 .. with 3 button HMF controller, HMF slip on , velocity intake, and head port. I just installed Stage 3 Hotcams and It wouldn't crank. so I thought I may need to chance the valve clearance for the stage 3 hotcams. I re shimmed 1 of the exhaust valves that I thought was too tight. Still wouldn't crank. Next I reset the timing and after 3 times I finally got it set properly and the bike started. However it only runs with the choke out. Soon as I knock the choke in the bike cuts off. What's my issue now? Fuel controller ? idle adjustment? battery weak? or valves need to be put back because when I measured, the timing was off which gave me a false clearance measurement> (shim was changed from 2.50 to 2.45)

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
I have a 2014 .. with 3 button HMF controller, HMF slip on , velocity intake, and head port. I just installed Stage 3 Hotcams and It wouldn't crank. so I thought I may need to chance the valve clearance for the stage 3 hotcams. I re shimmed 1 of the exhaust valves that I thought was too tight. Still wouldn't crank. Next I reset the timing and after 3 times I finally got it set properly and the bike started. However it only runs with the choke out. Soon as I knock the choke in the bike cuts off. What's my issue now? Fuel controller ? idle adjustment? battery weak? or valves need to be put back because when I measured, the timing was off which gave me a false clearance measurement> (shim was changed from 2.50 to 2.45)
Does your F.I dash light (far left) remain on or flashing when starting/idling

Check the valve clearance & don't guess at it...

Valve Clearance: between cam and valve lifter
Standard:
Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm (0.0067 ∼ 0.0087 in.)
Inlet 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm (0.0039 ∼ 0.0059 in.)

Also double check that the cam chain tensioner was installed properly...!!

Proper shim measuring..! Tool required digital Caliper
Clean the shim to remove any dust or oil.
• Measure the thickness of the removed shim [A].
• Select a new shim thickness calculation as follows.
A = (B – C) + D
[A] Replace Shim Thickness
Measured Valve Clearance
[C] Specified Valve Clearance
[D] Present Shim Thickness
Example
(0.31 mm – 0.10 ∼ 0.15 mm) + 2.60 mm = 2.81 ∼ 2.76 mm
○Exchange the shims for the 2.775 or 2.800 size shim

see pictures below

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I will check today ... if the light remains on or flashing what does that mean? I did use the digital multimeter tool to measure shim size, the timing is dead on and the cam tensioner was installed as the manual states. I will check Clearance now. I think they were within specs and I took them out of spec by changing, when the timing was not set properly.

·
Super Moderator
9,971 Posts
ok I will check today ... if the light remains on or flashing what does that mean? I did use the digital multimeter tool to measure shim size, the timing is dead on and the cam tensioner was installed as the manual states. I will check Clearance now. I think they were within specs and I took them out of spec by changing, when the timing was not set properly.
If the F.I light remains on there's an DFI error..if Yes!.. see picture below.
http://frewracing.com/users/boys/Data/InfoFiles/kfx450r/dfidiagnostics.pdf?20161223105854

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it .. thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come to find out I needed to turn the idle adjustment up some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
How many clicks did you end up at?

I'm at about 20 clicks out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many clicks did you end up at?

I'm at about 20 clicks out.

I'm going to count today , I never counted .. I was originally at 32 when I got the bike with just velocity intake and hmf slip on . I'm going to check so I'll have a baseline . Just count how many clicks to the right ? And then turn back to the left to put it back ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going to count today , I never counted .. I was originally at 32 when I got the bike with just velocity intake and hmf slip on . I'm going to check so I'll have a baseline . Just count how many clicks to the right ? And then turn back to the left to put it back ?

How many is it with the clicks now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts