KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2008 KFX450 in excellent condition, low miles, and bone stock.

I added an HMF slip on pipe, K&N intake, and an HMF optimzer.

It sounds pretty good and in my opinion runs pretty good. I am pretty new to the sport and don't have much to compare it to.

Apples to oranges, but I get crushed by my buddies KTM 250 dirtbike and my other buddies YZF450 dirtbike after about 3rd gear.

We been doing a lot of trail riding and my buddy has an 08 TRX450 with full exhaust, open air box, and a big bore kit brining him up to 480cc. I feel like I hang with him through everything and that he doesn't pull from me, but on straight aways I can't catch him.

Anything I am missing? Any adjustments that can be made?

Thanks for your insight and help.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
what settings are you running with the programmer?

the kfx is pretty low geared. i would go up one tooth in the front to a 15 tooth and you will gain more top end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMF suggested that I go with their default settings on the optimizer. I will check it out tomorrow and post what they are. I believe there are 3 modes.

How much do I lose on the low end by going to a 15 tooth?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
A sproket like 15 bucks throw one on and try it youll probaly like it alot

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
if you have the full k&n intake the stock settings are way to lean.

i think i commented on your other thread what thread on what they would be.
3.5 or 4 for the first setting, 6 or 5.5 for the second, and 5 or 5.5 for the third.

you lose a little bottom end switching to the 15t, but the gain in top end is much better.

i personally like it way better now then before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I need a new chain or do I need to modify my current chain by going to a 15T up front?

For future reference, what is a good chain to get?

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
No, there is enough slack adjustment to go up a tooth and keep using the stock chain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts