KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a tether kill switch on the kfx. I was going to get a Pro Design setup, and wire it to the coil but have found out this is not a good route to use on the kfx. I tried googling this and everything I'm finding is old and some of the parts they were using have been discontinued in the last few years. So if I want to install a tether kill switch on my kfx here in 2021 its appears my options are much more limited. I would like to go with the simplest, and easiest setup if possible, while also not having to worry about frying anything.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do I want normally open, or normally closed? Where exactly do I connect the power wire for the kill switch. I understand one wire is ground and the other needs to be spliced in somewhere but not at the coil, like they do on some other quads.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there were companies that mad tether kill switches that had a wiring harness that would plug in somewhere but I dont think those are available anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been thinking of doing this for safety reasons myself. Do you have the manual with the wiring diagram? I think the best place would be to wire off of the left slider kill switch. Find the hot wire and put the tether kill switch (normally closed) and put it inline of the wire. That is exactly what the slider kill switch does so interrupting that wire would have the same effect.

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
I have been thinking of doing this for safety reasons myself. Do you have the manual with the wiring diagram? I think the best place would be to wire off of the left slider kill switch. Find the hot wire and put the tether kill switch (normally closed) and put it inline of the wire. That is exactly what the slider kill switch does so interrupting that wire would have the same effect.
Here's a color coded Schematic

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
I know there were companies that mad tether kill switches that had a wiring harness that would plug in somewhere but I dont think those are available anymore.
Normally open grounds the pulse on the crank sensor/pulse coil
Normally closed taps into the start/stop switch next to the starter button...

Pingel is one of those companies... PINGEL® - Motorcycle Safety Kill Switches

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Just want to double check before I order something. I want normally closed? Wired to left side handlebar switch (brown wire)?
Normally closed connects into the start/stop switch (brown & Y/R wire...!

Tether switch wire into the brown, the other tether switch wire into the Y/R wire..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts