KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best rear tires i can get at a sort of cheap cost to run good on my normal riding areas; sand, dirt, rocks?

Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought the GBC X-rex rear tires and I absolutely love them. They were cheap; I got them for $60 a piece. They are exactly like maxxis razor II but cheaper and a little heavier. I haven’t had any problems with them and they hook up well on every surface. I would definitely take a look at them.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I had a buddy who ran the Artrax MXT rears and liked them quite a bit. They're $50 a tire and you can get them from Motosport.com. If you'd rather run GBC X-Rex's, which are great tires, hit up Jim @ WKC Powersports for a great deal. I loved running Maxxis Razr rears. You'd prolly get away with running 4 ply's for trail riding too. You'd have good luck w/any of these.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Xrex FTW! I'm running razr2 rears nowbut don't see the point in buying them over the GBC really. The fronts are identical!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just bought the ITP Quadcross XC's for my next race. Motosport is having a crazy ITP sale right now. I'll post a review after I try them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
CST Ambush is the way to go on a budget. Best deal I've found is ordering them from your local Cycle Gear. The rears are just a hair over $50 per, think fronts are a bit under. For an all-round tire, I think they're great. I ride all woods, stumps, roots, ruts, broken beer bottles, trash. They haven't let me down. They are also light enough to have fun on the MX track when you want to. If you NEED 6 ply, there are plenty of options everyone has mentioned.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Just bought the ITP Quadcross XC's for my next race. Motosport is having a crazy ITP sale right now. I'll post a review after I try them.
I'll be interested to read that... because I am old school and remember the original dimpled knobbies... lol.

The rears on these look a little round for my taste. But sometimes a tire like that has good qualities when you learn how to ride that particular tire. Sometimes you can figure a lot out about a tire once you learn how to work it's abilities in the corners.

I was just expecting that the XC version would be a squared rear like the mx tire is.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a set of Sedona slingshots, they were fairly cheap, and they hook up good. I have been happy with them far.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'll be interested to read that... because I am old school and remember the original dimpled knobbies... lol.

The rears on these look a little round for my taste. But sometimes a tire like that has good qualities when you learn how to ride that particular tire. Sometimes you can figure a lot out about a tire once you learn how to work it's abilities in the corners.

I was just expecting that the XC version would be a squared rear like the mx tire is.
I won't run any other tire after switching to these. They work great. Used to run grooved razr 1s before these. I would never even think of going back. Straight line traction is great (even for me, being kind of light). Corners are very predicate and have what I would say is the perfect about of wheel spin and the roundish profile does let it tip just a little more than say a razr1 or razr2 but I grew to appreciate that. They lasted longer than the maxxis. I have probably 8 races on mine. I will get one more then groove them for one last race before they are replaced

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Razor xc's!worth the extra dough!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
go to rocky mountain atv. search DURO tires. look exactly like razrs and holeshots. i paid $60 a piece in july. i think theyre 6 ply.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i cant find these cst tires that cheap there more money now
That's weird, I just searched Cycle Gear's website for you and they have virtually no ATV tire selection anymore. I'd say it's worth giving your local store a call and asking if they can get them anyways. I also ordered them from Pureoffroad.com when they first came out for my TRX and they were $45 a piece. Maybe they will do better on their price (now $72) if you're buying a set? Also I was told any Maxxis dealer can get them in, if you have one locally. I can't believe they've gone up $20-30 a tire since my first set... :eek:

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yeah I think there is some foot shooting going on somewhere along the way on the pricing.

Guys will try something different for half the price of what they have used tried and true, but people aren't going to pay nearly the same price to get nearly the same thing.

As in I would not pay $72 for a CST Ambush... not when I can get about any tire I want for not much more if I shop around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've had two sets and they were great, but I agree, the only reason I did give them a try is because they were HALF the price of Razors. I loved the Holeshots HDs I had, but for more than twice the price, I went with something new. Now, I can't imagine they're going to get nearly the "they're so cheap, you can't lose" buys as before. I'm not sure if it's coming from CST or the distributors, but I think it will be bad for them...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts