KFX 450 HQ Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts
To go along w/the rock theory...running the wrong map, causing a chain reaction of blowing out the packing prematurely, which caused an over-heated can, which was extremely brittle from heat when the rock hit it...still boils down to not being DASA's fault. I don't run a DASA so I'm not biased at all in their favor...I'm just saying I don't see any way this is their fault.

Well, as far as the "something hitting it" theory goes... That makes more sense...

Well except.... if you actually look at the pictures, the metal is blown out, not punched in.

Well, as far as the "something hitting it" theory goes... That makes more sense...

Well except.... if you actually look at the pictures, the metal is blown out, not punched in.
A rock could have caused a crack or crease in the can, which then blew out?

Whatever happened, that's some ugly shit.

Seems like having a sticker (That can burn and get discolored) on an exhaust to identify it is a little cheap in the first place...

True...but with my stick theory (doesn't apply to the rock idea), it would have lodged itself in the can and would have had to be pulled out...pulling the metal back out with it. That hole looks like a physical puncture...not an even "explosion" from exhaust pressure.

Whatever happened, that's some ugly shit.

Seems like having a sticker (That can burn and get discolored) on an exhaust to identify it is a little cheap in the first place...
Yes it is... and when I try to put myself in those shoes... I'd be upset too...

But yes, absolutely... that was what I was getting at before...
Just seems cheap to me too...

Just seems like I cared more about my personal exhaust shields on my own bike than they do about the muffler they are selling to folks. Just don't make sense to me... The stuff out of the rattle cans I used holds up better, even up on the header shield where the exhaust is really hot.

Ya know....There sure seems to be a whole bunch of folks doing a whole bunch of trash talking about a product they really have no personal experience with. My DASA pipe has preformed perfect. If you use the spark arrestor often then the packing will need to be replaced more often (speaking from "experience"). The few times I have used the sparky, I have noticed particals from the packing on the screen when I pulled it back out(this is when I checked the packing). I will probably repack the can befor the Dune season kicks off even though I dont use the sparky in the dunes. If you don't follow the manufacturers recommendations, and you don't check shit out once in a while, like when the stickers burn off the can (shoulda been the 1st clue that something wasn't quite right) and keep running the damn thing till it burns a hole in the can, then you really don't have a leg to stand on. JMHO.

Yeah I just bought my Dasa (so I don't really know alot about the pipe yet) but I have been riding for 15 years and I have seen and heard just about every brand of pipe and ridden with guys that don't even know how to change oil but I never seen any thing like that. It seems to me like the exhaust was not the problem but the exhaust gas was. I found out the hard way if you lean your quad out it doesn't like it (thus all my new parts). Personaly I think it was leaned out too much, got too hot, and was miss treated. You have to remember these pipes were designed to be put on race quads which means you have to maintain it like its a race quad. JMO

We use the same style packing as all other companies. It will take an EXTREME amount of heat to melt a hole in the canister. He should have stopped running the bike and checked into what was wrong when the stickers started to melt or look crusty. The bike the original poster has ......

#1. has no fuel controller
#2. has not been tuned for the pipe
#3. is EXTREMELY LEAN

If your bike is tuned right the packing will last longer then 20 hours no question. We have seen packing last for a couple seasons. Here is the things that cause damage to packing. These things will limit the packing life

#1. Water ....... if the packing gets wet it will GREATLY decrease your packing life.

#2. CORRECT A/F ..... YOU MUST TUNE the bike when adding mods. Even though these bikes are fuel injected .... THEY DO NOT AUTO TUNE. You must add a fuel controller then tune the bike to the correct a/f or it will run lean. If it runs lean the canister will get hot and burn up the packing.

#3. Quiet cores ....... again YOU MUST TUNE the bike when adding mods. Even though these bikes are fuel injected .... THEY DO NOT AUTO TUNE. You must add a fuel controller then tune the bike to the correct a/f. Installing a quiet core will usually make the canister hotter. Then the packing life will shorten. If the bike is tuned right EVEN with a quiet core installed you should see more then 20 hours out of the packing.

You guys cant say dasa wont stick by there product. They offered him a cheap hell of a deal to replace it. If he was not running a fuel controller im sure it got ultra hot more then once. to the point it weaken more and more everyday. if he had 17hours on the exhaust thats alot for the quad running extremely hot. Id like to see yoshi or pro circuit replace a exhaust like that under same circumstances. Ive seen 10times more yoshi break or fall apart then a dasa.

^^^ i would have to agree with dasa and they did offer a cheap fix to his problem. But if a 600 dollar pipe looks like shit from some over heating and the packing can't hold up to my style of racing ( XC ) i would suggest maybe using a metal emblem and beefing up the material of the can so it don't burn up and blow out, if these pipes are mx or dune only, then just make a more durable model for guys who don't want to repack there pipe every three races because they run creeks or river crossings. seems like bullshit that most dasa pipes i see look like someone took a torch to the can:( power gains or not i run DMC duals and after a year of some severe water and mud races my packing is good and pipes look mint.:D and i bought the quad with them on good thing to cause i was leaning towards a dasa. being a high performance pipe you would think they would hold up a lot better to high demand riding:mellow: JUST MY TWO CENTS:p

Dasa just uses a cheap vinal sticker on there exhaust that wont handle heat that well. I ran half of exhaust packing for a wile and it never showed signs of stress There cans are not better or cheaper then anyone els out there. Ive seen LRD lables that where rivited on burn. Ive seen the same with yoshi also. Even a hmf lable once. I feel bad for the kawi, if it was running that hot for the exhaust. god no what the motor is looking like.

With all due respect, I have been riding for 20 years. Everything from street bikes to dirt bikes and now onto ATVs. I have never seen any exhaust canister blow a hole through it like that. Extreme heat or not, the metal used to make the canister should be rated to with stand the KNOWN heat these machines can throw out.

If I was the owner of any company and had my product and the story being blasted on the net, I would do everything I could to take care of the situation and at least make it look like I backed my product.

Reading threads like this is influenced my decision on what exhaust to buy, bet many others also determined what brand to get by reading threads like this.

You guys cant say dasa wont stick by there product. They offered him a cheap hell of a deal to replace it. If he was not running a fuel controller im sure it got ultra hot more then once. to the point it weaken more and more everyday. if he had 17hours on the exhaust thats alot for the quad running extremely hot. Id like to see yoshi or pro circuit replace a exhaust like that under same circumstances. Ive seen 10times more yoshi break or fall apart then a dasa.

Is everyone missing it? ,,,,,,, the bike was not tuned for the mods he added. Here is a link to a thread with the same issue on a set of muzzy pipes. This could happen on ANY pipe that is not tuned. I think the main difference is that this guy never checked the pipe or even cared until it blew out.

exhaust temp problems - Kawasaki Teryx Forum - Teryx Forums.net

or click here

3rd Set of Muzzy Exhaust - Kawasaki Teryx Forum - Teryx Forums.net

Bottom line ... YOU HAVE TO TUNE YOUR BIKE FOR YOUR MODS ...... You have to have a fuel controller installed for ANY PIPE or INTAKE that makes HP.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.