KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a stocker kfx450r and broke the stock exhaust. When looking for replacements I seen the Dasa 13" and bought it. I had it on my quad about 17 hours and blew a hole in the bottom of it. I checked the packing twice before and whatever Dasa put in there was in there. I contacted Fuel Atv for a replacement and shipped my pipe off to hear that it was my fault. I know that pipe shouldn't have broke this soon. They said I should have checked and replaced the packing. It's a brand new pipe why should I have to replace the packing ! Does anybody have any suggestions ? Should I pursue Dasa further and get my money back ? I really don't wanna be in a lawsuit against them. Here's some images of the broke pipe.

If anybody has something to say post it.

btw Fuel Atv support was the bomb.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
well there are some places that reccomend packing the dasa after every 10 hrs , but also depends if it got wet that makes it degrade faster

·
Registered
747 Posts
wow thats kind of an unusual looking failure, cant say its due to packing though imo. but i would'nt know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i would say after seeing the pictures you are just trying to get a new pipe for problem that you cant afford. what i mean is it looks like you dont take care of your stuff the quad looks like is 10 years old and your tires are slicks. by the look of your pipe you rode it discolored for awhile and didnt take care of of the packing .. they say if your decal starts to burn off the packing is toast. not dasa fault but yours. and im not even a dasa fan. this is clearly your fault

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I change the oil, oil the chain, replace parts, and minor maintenance. The quad has had a really rough life but it runs good. The tires I put on were for some temporary drifting on highway. The discoloring of the pipe and the hole took place within 30 minutes of riding one day. The quad is fast and hasn't lost much power. I think Dasa's at fault.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I believe its your fault man. That looks like the pipe overheated from the lack of packing. Mine did the same but not to that extent. Another question, is your bike jetted right? If its too lean, it would make it run even hotter.
Mine started doing that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is the way I look at it. If its brand new, the packing should be all set. Why should he have to worry about the integrity of the structure out of the box? If he's telling the truth about the number of hours on the can. For the money that DASA sells them things for, they should stand behind their product. I don't care how lean, how hot, or what shape his quad is in. the bottom should not blow out like that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That looks to me like you were a little abusive with it. I've never seen a pipe do that. I'm pretty sure its not Dasa's fault though.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
im a member of about 7 forums with a ton of ppl that use dasa and noone has ever seen that hapen, when i bought mine they said u want to check the packing very often, and if u run this thing lean it will get VERY hot

did u send the pics to dasa and ask them their thoughts?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I seen an NMOTION pipe do that. But that was after the quad took a tumble, and the can got punctured on the side, by a rock. Burnt a big ass hole just like the one in the pics, by the time we got back to camp.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The best thing to do is call Dasa directly, and speak with Dan. If you can not get in touch with Dan ask for Donna. Your bike doesn't look too rough. It does look like you ride on the black top. However, regardless of what your tires look like or how clean it is it shouldn't help or void any type of warranty. That's like saying blaming your pencil because you spelled something wrong on paper. haha .. When you call be respectful, and they may hook you up or give you a good deal on a replacement canister.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Im thinking i should invest in some new packing (cheap insurance). Where would a good place to get some be? Should it be tightly packed or just lightly??? Whats the procedure?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have the same dasa pipe and i burnt the sticker off mine which told me the packing was gone and it was so i would recommend trying to get a new pipe from dasa

·
Registered
227 Posts
damn thats some carnage right there!!! dunno how that can happen to a pipe from just riding it???? regardless hope ya get a new one $600 is a lot for a pipe

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Youch!!!

Glad I didn't buy a Dasa.
Glad I got the Jardine RT99 system instead.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
lmao it aint the pipes fault duster, run ur bike lean, dont check packing ,get packing wet a few times and see wat happens to ur jardine, dasa is known for needing repacking often but if u have a correctly tuned bike i have known ppl to run 1-2 yrs on the same packing

·
Registered
628 Posts
lmao it aint the pipes fault duster, run ur bike lean, dont check packing ,get packing wet a few times and see wat happens to ur jardine, dasa is known for needing repacking often but if u have a correctly tuned bike i have known ppl to run 1-2 yrs on the same packing
I been running my Dasa for almost 2 years with the original packing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I dont care if theres no packing in there it should never blow a hole in the bottom of the can! The discoloration is you fault for not packing it but its dasas fault for the hole!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Fuck spending 600 bones on a dasa that can't even handle a 20 hrs of riding without being repacked, waste of money IMO i got better shit to worry about than an overpriced pipe that can't handle any abuse!!!!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts