KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just trying to find out if any members are going to be there. i'll probably strap on my old junk xc tires and go out and make a few laps in the morning then stick around to watch the pro race at 1:00pm

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Wish I was camping there now with the kawi ready to go. Or at least just there. I put it on my race calendar but couldn't arrange for it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a shame I would have loved to meet the legend face to face. no actually I would have loved to have you ride my quad so you can tell me what i'm lacking with my tune. i'm just so used to the power of a two stroke I don't know if i'm lacking something or if its just the difference between a two and a four stroke.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
I followed along today.

One of our members got a podium finish today.

I think you are a warrior to even try to run a quad that wide GNCC. Hope you just said the heck with it. Wanted to check and see by text but figured your ol lady might have the phone and get worried.

Anyways, hopefully you said the heck with that after a while. Hope you didn't break nothing or get hurt.

My other buddies are MIA up there. Don't even know if they started. Might not have went faster when they heard banjo music and ended up POW's.... hahahaha...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I was killing it. the extra width let me get side bight that others couldn't get so I was passing everything in sight then broke another chain and ended up 16th in class. I was so fare ahead at one point I couldn't even hear the nearest competitor then snap luckily a yfz trashed out and as they were towing him up the hill he donated his master link for the finish.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
That's awesome!

Last Sunday I got a podium and one of my best overalls so far at one of our tightest tracks sitting 48". I started to narrow up but my secondary option is only 47" so I did not bother.

I do wonder though how I would have done at 46".... But I don't have the coin for another set of wheels to find out. I think though that I will always run 48" now with my bigger tires.

I will say though... I hit my fair share of trees out there that day.... and made several alternate little lines to make my way through.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw several kfx450's in the am race but only one pro kfx.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Black? #999? Might have been my buddy Bender. I could not find any Kawi's on the PM roster when following. Watched the live feed and didn't see any either.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was listening to the PM starting order today during the live feed and did not hear Benders name.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Yeah don't know what happened?

Maybe something put a horseshoe in the trip.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no this one was green. the thing was sick supper clean like what you would expect from a factory team. there was a black one on the am race if your buddy has not got a top ten place at the am then he cant race the pm race. he might have broken on the am if that was the case. there is always a lot of DNF's on this track although this year wase the easiest track yet except where the big 4wd's eat it out and there was a lot of "BIG" air jumps on it even by mx standards. over all it was a fast fun track this year. I had a blast until the kawie curse hit me. I actually do believe if I cant get a canam or ltr i'm trading for a Honda. I got the hole-shot and led so many laps wants I worked my way to the front it just made me sick when the chain broke. if I would have had a hammer it would be scrap metal by now. I did grab the nerf bar and flip it on its lid.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
no this one was green. the thing was sick supper clean like what you would expect from a factory team. there was a black one on the am race if your buddy has not got a top ten place at the am then he cant race the pm race. he might have broken on the am if that was the case. there is always a lot of DNF's on this track although this year wase the easiest track yet except where the big 4wd's eat it out and there was a lot of "BIG" air jumps on it even by mx standards. over all it was a fast fun track this year. I had a blast until the kawie curse hit me. I actually do believe if I cant get a canam or ltr i'm trading for a Honda. I got the hole-shot and led so many laps wants I worked my way to the front it just made me sick when the chain broke. if I would have had a hammer it would be scrap metal by now. I did grab the nerf bar and flip it on its lid.
I think I know the one you are talking about. If I can find pics I will show you. He is not listed as KAW though.... Might have ran his first race of the year or more on another brand.

As for us, all us Mid East guys are PM riders. But I think some of us may slip back into qualifying classes in the AM race because the track is so darn bad by a few laps into the PM race. A few of the guys can run Senior and Super Senior (no chance with Dave Simmons in that class) and the rest of us can run that stupid Sportsman A/B class.

The issue with the Sportsman A/B class is.... what kind of flipping class is that? Really?

It is basically like hey if you aint a C rider or a Senior but you don't want to run the pro race you go here. A/B is not a class yall, and there is no age split either.

What 39 year old B rider wants to pay for a national to sign up to race against an 18 year old A rider? May as well run the PM.

As for your quad... abuse the broken chain. Then when you feel better go order the highest tinsel strength 520 chain you can find and make sure you are protecting it well.

Can Am I still feel I would avoid. I commend what they do for racing, but the DS450 is vanishing at the races and some of their ex riders don't give hot reviews.

If I were to run something else, I think I'd lean towards Suzuki, and if I had a proper spot and mechanical skill I would consider a Honda too. I also feel the plain jane YFZ is a good choice. And I like the Outlaw for being different. But fact is the big three are figured out and have a ton readily available (TRX/LTR/YFZ).

·
Registered
462 Posts
What class did ya run? Good riding sounds like. A chains a chain though that stuffs gonna happen on anything... But yeah screw can am. If I ever switch it's gonna be LTR or Honda. Unless I get adopted by some insanely rich people who want a 18 year old kid. Then ill have mommy and daddy build me a new YFZ like all the other kids in my class....lol

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Bender ran Sportsman A/B this time. I am thinking because he spent some all-nighters getting the quad ready and going, and with it being Snowshoe, I don't blame him due to the track getting so rough in the PM.

His day ended real early. Fuel pump quit.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
that's a shame I would have loved to meet the legend face to face. no actually I would have loved to have you ride my quad so you can tell me what i'm lacking with my tune. i'm just so used to the power of a two stroke I don't know if i'm lacking something or if its just the difference between a two and a four stroke.
You got me wondering now. Maybe there is unfinished business on sharpening the tune. Maybe not... humm...

I miss 2 strokes still though, and you might suffer that too.

I tell you what though... saw something that surprised me... this morning I woke early and flipped on the TV. There was one of those explorer type shows on. They were rolling out to the imperial sand dunes to explore the dunes themselves, the plants and the critters that live out there.

First quad I saw... 400EX... but upon a better look it was a hybrid. The got on out to the dunes there and filmed a lot of riding going on, etc... and I was sorta shocked. I didn't see a single 4 stroke or hear one during the whole filming aside from the UTV's they took. They were all old 250R's, Quadzillas, Quad Racers, Tecates, and of course a bunch of Banshees.

This was not an old filming either because they played cool and filmed themselves taking their current Chevy's out a bit ways past where the folks had their trucks and trailers and so forth at and saw several current trucks too.

Now wondering if it was some kind of 2 stroke days or if a ton of guys out that way just keep sticking to their old 2 bangers...

There was some dude that rolled up on an 86 250R that looked brand hammer showroom new + tires and a PIAA baja light bar. That thing was SWEET!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duster there is a problem with either my quad or my tune but I will be putting a new clutch & chain on it b4 we can work it out. I will email you the details.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Something has to be wrong if your breaking that many chains. Replace both sprockets this time too. Are they inline? Bent at all? 520 chains hold up on my buddies 100hp drag banshee in the dunes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts