KFX 450 HQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,899 Posts
Anybody plz
You'll have to cut the metal mesh out with a dremel tool...

Air Box Modification
Getting more airflow to the engine is again a simple (and free) modification. “One of the first things we do is cut the screen out of the stock air box.” Said Wade. “All you need is a dremmel, a pair of wire cutters and a pair of needle nose pliers.” The modification takes approximately two hours to cut out the screen and clean out any little bits and pieces that may be left behind so none of it is sucked into the motor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats cool and all but how do u take the whole cone thing out
I mean it looks like it twist off from the other side and the cone thing wiggles
a little

·
Super Moderator
9,899 Posts
Just think it should come off im trying to mod my own filter kit
There's no performance gains unless you change out the intake tube...!!

The cheapest & easiest is the LTR mod.. Suzuki Ltr 450 LTR450 Air Box Airbox Breather Tube Outlet Boot Intake | eBay

note: you'll need a fuel controller if your do...!!!

this thread might help you if you just want to remove that part in question... http://www.kfx450hq.com/forums/general-discussion/18436-my-fci-intake-adapted-oem-airbox.html

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
You can actually pry the flange off the front of the box and it comes right out.

Then you can pull the whole cone out.

When these bikes very first came out there were all kinds of kits that put a clamp on flange inside the box and they all had those instructions for removing the cone.

That is the reason you won't see me with an LTR tube hooked up to one of these setups as great of an idea as it seems. I found out with angels watching over that these boxes are not trustworthy for that reason. The flange separated from my box on the way from the track after the race. I cranked up after stopping and removing my helmet. When I almost got to the pits I heard something funny and the bike started running funny. Lifted the seat and it was apart!

If it had happened during the race it would have toasted my motor.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Does anyone have a stock box laying around that they can check for markings?

We need to figure out what this material is so we can come up with what to tell him to put in the seam when he snaps it back together.

I tried "fixing" mine thinking it was ABS plastic and that ABS cement would weld it right together... but it didn't work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have one, I will check and let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
165 Posts
if you want to do the ltr mod get the trinity adapter. it's an aluminum adapter that goes through the hole when you remove the junk plastic one. the ltr tube will be clamped on to the aluminum adapter as well as the airfilter. it's one piece of aluminum, so no worries on it coming apart or out of the airbox.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is the only thing I could find on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information I have also met some time ago with this problem and didn't know to replace the filter box, but it's only one problem to replace the filter box the main problem is with what to replace it because I often had a problem with the standard filter before and now I want to change it on something else. After reading on the Damage Control 911 a post about the ozone generators I bought one of these and even if it has a lot of nuances it's better than the standard ones. What's your opinion would you buy one of this or not or are you satisfied with the standard filters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the information I have also met some time ago with this problem and didn't know to replace the filter box, but it's only one problem to replace the filter box the main problem is with what to replace it because I often had a problem with the standard filter before and now I want to change it on something else. After reading on the Damage Control 911 a post about the ozone generators I bought one of these and even if it has a lot of nuances it's better than the standard ones. What's your opinion would you buy one of this or not or are you satisfied with the standard filters.
I am also using an ozone generator and it's really awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts